CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
KaneisAble
doubledribble
PageUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
Jmansour333
thumpin big
b381l
TheUSCMike
kingofnerf
Busta out indefinite (1866)
SOS says his next st (1576)
Our Road Upset Wins (1462)
CBSSports SEC predic (737)
No easy road for our (617)
Roll call for Auburn (535)
Our Defense? (500)
University of Buffal (471)
Michael Sams done in (360)
Party like it's 1903 (256)
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
MMA: Holeve (Down Syndrom
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
2015 Commitment - Davon D
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Why is everyone anticipat
Holiday desserts
To ANYONE complaining abo
Our Defense?

Old 12-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #21
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Villanova's Tyronne Johnson transferring to USC

I'm not ready write off Leonard yet...still has a lot of talent
Old 12-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #22
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1373
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I agree. Honestly, I am not ready write off any of our players just yet, as the have only been with Coach Martin for several months.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #23
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

If Leonard would just get better defensively, he would see a boost in minutes. But with that being said, with the probability that Page is finished, he is going to see more minutes anyway.

As far as Johnson goes, a fresh start can be good for players. I don't think there is any question that he and Thornwell provide one of the brighter backcourts in the SEC. Not only that but he is a tall guard @ 6'3 and we could potentially use him as a 2 guard and slip Thornwell to the 3 when Stroman gets here.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #24
TwoNotch Dreams
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
He's talented and his shooting form is pretty good. But if you're not getting the time to showcase the talent, it's kind of meaningless. I'd personally like to see him play more, but I don't know where there's a spot for him.

I think like Lakeem the issue is that we focus too much on what he can't do (defend, playmake, etc.) instead of what he can do...and that's shoot. Granted he's been inconsistent, but I think if we can give him the room, he can be a knockdown shooter. Just give him some confidence
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Speculation: Leornard will transfer, and I expect Bruce to not play and prepare for football career. I like both guys, but they aren't going to help us moving forward.

The team can have 13 scholarship players, but really only 9 or 10 are going to play much. That is one of the reasons players transfer. You really need a couple of walk-on types to be players 12 and 13. Guys who are good enough to help in practice, and are good students to help the team's academics, but who are willing to not play in games.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #26
Fear#5
New and Improved

Male

CockyCash: 249940200
Fear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
If Leonard would just get better defensively, he would see a boost in minutes. But with that being said, with the probability that Page is finished, he is going to see more minutes anyway.

As far as Johnson goes, a fresh start can be good for players. I don't think there is any question that he and Thornwell provide one of the brighter backcourts in the SEC. Not only that but he is a tall guard @ 6'3 and we could potentially use him as a 2 guard and slip Thornwell to the 3 when Stroman gets here.
What happened to Page?
Fear#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #27
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
I agree. Honestly, I am not ready write off any of our players just yet, as the have only been with Coach Martin for several months.
Good post.

SECgamecock453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #28
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Frank definitely has us headed in the right direction!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #29
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I think DL got his nose broken in practice a month or so ago, and maybe that set him back. He should be a lot better than 7-10 minutes a game.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #30
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110363
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

Quote:
Speculation: Leornard will transfer, and I expect Bruce to not play and prepare for football career. I like both guys, but they aren't going to help us moving forward.
this. Leonard may stay and right the ship, but I think Ellington HAS to start focussing on football if he wants to play in the pros.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:31 AM   #31
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
this. Leonard may stay and right the ship, but I think Ellington HAS to start focussing on football if he wants to play in the pros.
Ellington is a pretty good college receiver, but do you really think he's NFL material?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #32
TwoNotch Dreams
Blue Chip

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Ellington is a pretty good college receiver, but do you really think he's NFL material?
He has a significantly better shot at getting drafted in the NFL than he does in the NBA. He's got good hands, good speed, strong body, and could definitely be a slot receiver in the NFL.

He seems passionate about both sports, but with so many guards, it wouldn't be bad to just give up his spot to the players who are on the team full-time.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #33
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
We need Bruce this year and we will need him next year for his experience.

If Leonard will start scoring points when he is in the game, he'll get more minutes and become an integral part of the team. If he isn't able to contribute in SEC play this year, I feel like he'll transfer at the end of the year in seek of more playing time.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #34
GDub2001
Banned

Male

GDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
If Leonard will start scoring points when he is in the game, he'll get more minutes and become an integral part of the team.
Actually, I believe I read where it has been his lackluster defense that has kept him off the court...not whether he's scoring or not.

Until he gets his defense to where Martin wants it, he will continue to see little action in games.
GDub2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #35
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
He has a significantly better shot at getting drafted in the NFL than he does in the NBA. He's got good hands, good speed, strong body, and could definitely be a slot receiver in the NFL.

He seems passionate about both sports, but with so many guards, it wouldn't be bad to just give up his spot to the players who are on the team full-time.
Bruce has a much better chance for a long career and more money playing basketball than football with the amount of money and leagues overseas.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #36
TwoNotch Dreams
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Bruce has a much better chance for a long career and more money playing basketball than football with the amount of money and leagues overseas.
Which would you prefer though as an athlete:

A. Playing in the NFL
B. Playing basketall overseas

It's not a tough choice. Ellington led our team in receiving yards this season, had seven touchdowns and he's got two more years left and plenty of room to keep getting better. At this rate he could definitely end up being drafted in the NFL. If football doesn't workout, playing ball overseas is a fallback option.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #37
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

ellington has a better shot at the nfl , nba is more worried about height than the nfl is
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #38
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDub2001 View Post
Actually, I believe I read where it has been his lackluster defense that has kept him off the court...not whether he's scoring or not.

Until he gets his defense to where Martin wants it, he will continue to see little action in games.
He isn't shooting the ball well at all, and really never has consistently. My point is that if he was shooting lights out, I'm certain FM would give him more minutes. Now, he's getting more minutes by default with Page gone. He scored 10 against SCST, but did you notice his shooting percentage? It wasn't good. I didn't get to see the game, did he play better defense? Was his shot selection good?

I'm pulling for Leonard as much as anyone, but he's got to shoot more consistently to make an impact. He was recruited to score points, not get steals. I'm fully aware FM didn't recruit him, so time will tell what the future holds for Leonard in a Gamecock uni.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #39
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

I feel as though the light hasn't really turned on for Leonard and he is still a bit immature. He needs to hang out with DJ, Marcus, etc. so he can learn what a good work ethic is.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote