CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Lalli25
USCBASEBALL1
SanAntonioCock
JaxcockFL
Captain9Dragons
GarnetSwarm1990
rabid cock
2000grad
CockyGuy
pooveycock
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (1906)
Chattanooga upends N (1011)
NEW Pics from South (713)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (421)
This Doctor Fell In (387)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (326)
Happy Thanksgiving C (261)
Strategy First Steam (165)
Penniless: Creed's S (158)
Game simulation (0)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST REALIZE
Game simulation
THE ONE MARCUS LATTIMORE
GOOD NEWS ABOUT SPURRIER
Constant Updates on Watso
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
2015 Commitment - Arden K
Name a Gamecock
2015 Commitment - Christi
Texans getting frustrated

Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #41
Carolina_Harv
Displaced and Disgruntled

Male

CockyCash: 10088029
Carolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot material
Default Re: What Steve Spurrier just said about the QBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
I really think that it's just that Thompson and Spurrier see the field the same way. Thompson is a Spurrier style quarterback. It's easier for Spurrier to call the plays quickly when Thompson is in. That's why the game moves so much faster. With Shaw, it seems that two or three coaches are trying to decide which play to call next. I think that's why Connor is always stepping back before he calls a play and looking at the sidelines.

I'm sure that there is more than can be done to play to the strengths of both of them now that they are both recognized as being good. I have never denied that Shaw is good, and I don't think I've ever said that Thompson is better than he is. I have felt that Thompson was underrated, and that was what I was reacting to.
There are a couple of reasons for this.....One we call in our audibles from the sideline like most teams do b/c our coaches are not confident enough to allow Shaw or whoever is taking the snap to do it themselves. And two, the reason why it takes longer is because we have more options with Shaw meaning more plays available to run with him because the offense is designed around him running it more then DT b/c Shaw gets first team reps almost the entire week.

Now I just would like to point out something that I don't think alot of people have mentioned and thats the play clock. How many times could you count in a single game when Garcia was here that we would get a delay of game or end up having to waste 2 timeouts before we even got into the second quarter. Every time after Garcia did this Spurrier would either just shake his head or throw his visor in frustration. Its so relieving to know that we have two QB's capable of getting an offense lined up and snapping the ball in time even after an audible may or may not be called in.

**The poster formally known as CarolinaCockStar
**SIG created by cack
Carolina_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #42
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

nm

Last edited by me4USC; 07-22-2013 at 04:47 PM.
me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #43
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

It's going to be a long offseason listening to the speculation.

Look at it this way...we're fortunate enough to have at least TWO quality starting caliber QB's at this present time. I can remember just a couple of years ago having no other real option at QB. Then add in Noso and Mitch to the mix.

Combine the two guy's stats, and at QB this is what we wound up with this season...220-355 for 2,983 yards, with 28 TD's and 9 INT's.

I'll take that combined total from our two headed monster any day of the week.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #44
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

The sun caused the problems for Nick and Damiere.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #45
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I consider myself more of a "ratan-ottoman" quarterback.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #46
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

nm

Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #47
Reload
Sarcasm Champ

Male

CockyCash: 2025
Reload is sharpening his clawsReload is sharpening his clawsReload is sharpening his clawsReload is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Give. Mangus. a. raise. NOW.

Can't wait to see Nosy and Mitch in 2 months.
This years spring game should be fun to watch.
Shaq Roland with experience, Thompson/Shaw battle, Noso, Mitch, Kwinton Smith and Jody Fuller, etc
Plenty of story lines to watch
Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #48
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

nm

Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #49
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

nm

Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #50
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

nm

Last edited by me4USC; 07-22-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #51
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1039000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Between Shaw, Thompson, Noz, and Mitch.................somebody is gonna get their feelings hurt
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #52
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodacitynate View Post
I think what Spurrier said indicates that we're going to see both guys play next year - that's going to be a regular thing.

An offseason question, since we have plenty of time on our hands - does anyone think that Thompson is better now than Garcia was when he was here?
Garcia in what year? Senior? Hell yea, Dylan is better than senior Garcia who couldn't hit a slant or a hb screen.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #53
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
Between Shaw, Thompson, Noz, and Mitch.................somebody is gonna get their feelings hurt
Well Dylan Thompson sure has thrown a wrench in the assumed Gamecock QB succession plan.
It's a great time to be a Gamecock and I really am happy both Dylan and Connor were a big part of our 2nd consecutive 11 win season.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #54
sosfan812
Blue Chip

Male

sosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudlysosfan812 is crowing loudly

Here is my two cents. I think a whole bunch of people on here are reading way too much into this. Everyone needs to stop and think about who said this, HBC thinks before he speaks and does and says alot of things to motivate. Now we know Shaw is having surgery and it's going to be mainly DT for spring/Summer so I think the reason he said what he did was to try and get the most out of DT during the off season. He knows how to get in one's head for positive and negative and I feel this is why he stated what he did.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #55
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
If Spurrier thinks that DT is a better NFL prospect, that does not automatically mean that Spurrier wants him to be the starter. There have been plenty of good college QB's who were not good NFL players... including some of Spurrier's former QB's.
Shane Matthews had a long NFL career. He may not have always been a starter but he hung around a lot of teams mentoring younger QBs. There's also a QB up in Boston that has a number of Superbowl rings and was a back-up his entire college career.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #56
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
Here is my two cents. I think a whole bunch of people on here are reading way too much into this. Everyone needs to stop and think about who said this, HBC thinks before he speaks and does and says alot of things to motivate. Now we know Shaw is having surgery and it's going to be mainly DT for spring/Summer so I think the reason he said what he did was to try and get the most out of DT during the off season. He knows how to get in one's head for positive and negative and I feel this is why he stated what he did.
It's also probably a good idea for people to actually listen to the conversation and the related series of questions leading up to this statement and the comments afterwards as well. The context of statements is just as important ad the statement itself in most cases.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #57
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

nm

Last edited by me4USC; 07-22-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #58
Carolina_Harv
Displaced and Disgruntled

Male

CockyCash: 10088029
Carolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
I think Spurrier has already said he would redshirt Mitch unless he is exceptional. To be "exceptional" in Spurrier's eyes would be unusual for a freshman, I think.
Yea so next year you get a Redshirt on Mitch, Shaw is a senior and Dylan a Junior being our #1 & #2......Now Nosovitch could sneak in there but being a Redshirt that gives us great options. So the year after that we have DT as a senior, Nosovitch as a RS Sophomore and Mitch as a RS Freshmen.......Not gonna lie but I like the way we look for QB's for the next 3-4 years.......Now could Mitch and Nosovitch pan out to be not so good? Maybe but at least we have DT for two more years.

**The poster formally known as CarolinaCockStar
**SIG created by cack
Carolina_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #59
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200537809048022286
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
both of our qbs have proved they both deserve to play and both should
Well said. Two great QBs, what a wonderful problem to have!
BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #60
Kuhn
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
Kuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudlyKuhn is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
The sun caused the problems for Nick and Damiere.
Cover Two, you are my favorite poster but...this is BS, especially for Byrd. Watch the replay and the shadows. The sun was shining directly in Dylans face when he threw to Nick. The next play, Byrd was facing Dylan when it hit him in a bad place, the helmet.

Its also BS because "no excuses" is the HBCs motto. I know Spurrier well enough to be sure that he won't tolerate dropped TDs that are catchable, sun-in-my-eyes or not.
Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote