CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
U-Dub Gamecock
Outland
gadeneer1986
Latt7more
B-G
CoverTwo
ReadR00ster
b381l
Why is everyone anti (1751)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Just thought of some (991)
How did we not make (985)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (844)
Miss St. defense (834)
Let us clarify some (740)
Is Clowney back toni (641)
SOS says his next st (453)
Busta out indefinite (430)
Party like it's 1903
Why is everyone anticipat
World of Warcraft, CSGO,
Busta out indefinitely.
SOS says his next stop is
Roll call for Auburn
Bruce Ellington's First T
post furman thoughts
How did we not make it.
Our Road Upset Wins

Old 12-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #61
Mecklenburg Cock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 400
Mecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPit
Default Re: New Rivalry: USC vs. UNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
If my memory serves me right, Spurrier tried to get NC to commit to a yearly game to be played in Charlotte. He likened this to the Ga/Fla game in Jacksonville. NC would have none of it and we settled for a home and away game every three or fours years. Personally, I think it would be great to play in Charlotte every year.

I'm a big fan of this idea. Matching up USC v. UNC is a natural fit and a natural rivalry. UNC DOES NOT want to lose to us, and we DO NOT want to lose to them. Just like a playoff system for College Football, I see a USC v. UNC game each year (possibly played in Charlotte) as a logical fit.

I did hear also that Butch Davis was against the idea of a yearly match up because he wanted the exposure around the country for recruiting and didn't want to give up a spot on the schedule that could get his team to places and potential recruits that may not otherwise give them a look.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #62
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

I know I will get roasted for saying this, but If this is to happen, we should drop Clemson. We play too tough a schedule to put up a quality OOC team replacing a cupcake...it might look good on paper but it could cost us bowl slots in the future
ShutTheSuccop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #63
AllVol55
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
AllVol55 has earned his spursAllVol55 has earned his spursAllVol55 has earned his spursAllVol55 has earned his spursAllVol55 has earned his spursAllVol55 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecklenburg Cock View Post
I'm not trying to offend anyone with my "filler" comments. I know Wofford has played us tough and I still am amazed that App. State made Wofford look like a Pop Warner team this year, but Carolina, with a bevy of talent(compared to Wofford) eaks by.

My point is, from a big game, big name standpoint a consistent match-up between a UNC or a Big 12 or Big 10 team, to me, is more appealing for the fans, players and recruits.

Again, no disrespect to Wofford or anyone in D-II. I have good friends that went to Wofford and I tailgate with them each and every game. However, I think they would agree that going out and getting an Oklahoma State, Penn State or whoever from a another BCS conference would generate much more buzz than what would be considered as a "filler" type program.
Couldn't agree with you more...the D1 vs. D1AA games are usually a lot more important for the D1AA teams. Not saying you guys overlook us, but I gurantee nobody loses any sleep during the game week. Also, like you said, playing a school from a "power" conference helps so much more when bowl selection comes around...i am just glad that Wofford has played well in the last few games against big time schools...

When I was there we got beat pretty good by Maryland, Air Force, and West Virginia.
AllVol55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #64
Mecklenburg Cock
Bowl MVP

Male

Mecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPitMecklenburg Cock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllVol55 View Post
Couldn't agree with you more...the D1 vs. D1AA games are usually a lot more important for the D1AA teams. Not saying you guys overlook us, but I gurantee nobody loses any sleep during the game week. Also, like you said, playing a school from a "power" conference helps so much more when bowl selection comes around...i am just glad that Wofford has played well in the last few games against big time schools...

When I was there we got beat pretty good by Maryland, Air Force, and West Virginia.
Yea, without a doubt it's much more beneficial to the D-II programs. Win or lose it's a great way to measure up and also learn how to compete at a high level. Also, it's a great selling point for a D-II school when telling recruits they have LSU, USC, Tennessee,....on their schedule.

There's so much more now, on the line, for the D-I school. A potential loss can be devastating, a la, Michigan v. ASU.

Again, not at all trying to knock Wofford or anyone at the D-II level. You guys practice just as hard and put just as much effort into the game as USC, Texas, etc.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #65
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
I know I will get roasted for saying this, but If this is to happen, we should drop Clemson. We play too tough a schedule to put up a quality OOC team replacing a cupcake...it might look good on paper but it could cost us bowl slots in the future

I would not mind that at all...
U-Dub Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #66
Mecklenburg Cock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post

No reason to roast. I know we're going back and forth with getting off topic here, but it's hard for me to ever look forward to this game given the lack of effort our team seems to show against Clemson.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #67
goheels
Walk On

Male

goheels has hatched from the shell

Heels should pull the surprise. Unc 34 sc 27.
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #68
clemson sucks
6'0" 180

Male

CockyCash: 2477208
clemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to clemson sucks

Cool
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #69
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Funny how times have changed. We sure don't want to drop Clemson now!!
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #70
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecklenburg Cock View Post
I'm a big fan of this idea. Matching up USC v. UNC is a natural fit and a natural rivalry. UNC DOES NOT want to lose to us, and we DO NOT want to lose to them. Just like a playoff system for College Football, I see a USC v. UNC game each year (possibly played in Charlotte) as a logical fit.

I did hear also that Butch Davis was against the idea of a yearly match up because he wanted the exposure around the country for recruiting and didn't want to give up a spot on the schedule that could get his team to places and potential recruits that may not otherwise give them a look.
Personally, I would LOVE this.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #71
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

goheels
^
Tarhole or Tater alter? Thoughts?

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #72
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
goheels
^
Tarhole or Tater alter? Thoughts?
Prolly skeeter/renegade
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #73
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheels View Post
Shhh unc sucks.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #74
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

The last thing we need is another rivalry game against a power conference team where we could pick up an unnecessary loss. Clemson is ENOUGH! We already don't schedule enough cupcakes, we schedule annoying trap games like Central Florida, ECU, and Navy.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #75
Erik
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Erik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPit

New Rivalry? Isn't UNC USC an old rivalry? It has its own mention on Wikipedia, haha.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #76
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by treykkpsi View Post
Better hope PETA doesn't see this.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #77
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheels View Post
Oh look, a UnCarolina poster. It must be basketball season.

This score is truly ridiculous. We've only allowed an opponent to score more than 30 points in Williams Brice only TWICE in 5 YEARS.

UnCarolina is losing their best playmaker in Bernard. They losing 4 starters on offense (RB, OT, OG & WR) and 4+ on Defense (NT, LB, LB, Spur). Offensively they are ranked higher, defensively USC is ranked higher this past year. However, how well did that work for uga or clemson?

At The Cockpit, in front of the Beast Board, with Sandstorm hypnotizing them...they have no chance.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #78
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

CockyCash: 800
eaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravecock524 View Post
Looking at the caliber of athletes unc and we have been bringing in for football this looks like it could possibly be a pretty good rivalry game. what are your thoughts on possibly playing unc every season instead of sc state, furman, wofford, etc?
It could be named the battle of the carolinas.

You lost me at "new" rivalry.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #79
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Oh look, a UnCarolina poster. It must be basketball season.

This score is truly ridiculous. We've only allowed an opponent to score more than 30 points in Williams Brice only TWICE in 5 YEARS.

UnCarolina is losing their best playmaker in Bernard. They losing 4 starters on offense (RB, OT, OG & WR) and 4+ on Defense (NT, LB, LB, Spur). Offensively they are ranked higher, defensively USC is ranked higher this past year. However, how well did that work for uga or clemson?

At The Cockpit, in front of the Beast Board, with Sandstorm hypnotizing them...they have no chance.
Who?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 AM   #80
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

It's already an established rivalry even though we haven't played consistently every year for awhile now. The two teams played every season between 1949 & 1964. (UNC went 13-3 through that stretch, but many of those were very close games)

UNC leads the series 34-17 All-Time. Average Score (UNC) 16.2 to (USC) 10.4

The only other times weve played each other in consistent seasons were:
1967-1970
1977-1981
1988-1991

They are 5-10 against us in the last 15 meetings though. In that 15 game span (From 1967-2007) South Carolina had a 5 game winning streak (67,68,69,70,74) and a 3 game winning streak (88,89,90)

Edit: Just realized how old this thread is.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote