CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
NineInchSpurs
Regalcock
Pty23
thekob
2000grad
Badazcock
CCC
Spurticus
gromweat
Well, as it turns ou (3121)
Luginbill says ECU s (2724)
What the heck is up (2421)
Davis dinged up agai (1926)
ECU fan here (1605)
Freaky Coincidence o (1350)
Defensive stand-arou (1116)
New Photos by Travis (1021)
Quarles is a Colt! (862)
For the love of God! (761)
Winston
Davis dinged up again?
Luginbill says ECU should
Tony Stewart kills Kevin
For the love of God! -- P
ECU fan here
Waldrop injured
New Photos by Travis Bell
Sig I'm giving a Dawg Bud

Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Future of the Zone Read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Not really....we never ran it when Blake Mitchell was here...how much were we in the gun then?
About 50/50 .. I watched a few old USC games from when Spurrier first came here and we were undercenter quite a bit .. a lot more than we are now.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Our likely 2014 class QB is a dual threat so it seems we'll continue to recruit for the system.
I thought Mitch was a pure pocket passer? Last I saw ESPN had him listed as the 13th best PP in the nation.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #23
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I guess it will be zone-read until a QB that is not a zone-read QB wins the job. Shaw is definitely zone-read. Thompson and Noso could go either way. Mitch is definitely not a dual threat.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Shawn was brought here because he was a highly successful OL coach at ASU and we desperately needed him. We ran the zone-read before he got here (GA Mangus). Shawn brought the zone blocking and the inside/outside zone plays or worked them in with GA.

We beat UM with lots of passing and big plays. Zone read was minimal to the effort. Unfortunately the one big zone-read play that Connor had, never got us any pts.
I believe it was Wolford who began implementing it here - I remember reading an article about it at the time.

Quote:
So far during the scrimmages, Spurrier Jr. has called most of the plays, but first-year offensive line coach and running game coordinator Eric Wolford also has a big say. For instance, they might ask him what he likes in the run game on a particular play. Most of the Gamecocks' running game has come out of the shotgun, similar to what Illinois did last season with Juice Williams when Wolford was on the Fighting Illini staff.

"We script a lot of it, and most of the work is done during the week," Spurrier said. "But it's going to be a little different this year with all the zone read stuff. That's coach Wolford's deal."
GoldenSpur7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #25
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
I thought Mitch was a pure pocket passer? Last I saw ESPN had him listed as the 13th best PP in the nation.
He is talking about Drew Barker who USC is in good shape for.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodacitynate View Post
I believe it was Wolford who began implementing it here - I remember reading an article about it at the time.
That's right...it was Eric.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I guess it will be zone-read until a QB that is not a zone-read QB wins the job. Shaw is definitely zone-read. Thompson and Noso could go either way. Mitch is definitely not a dual threat.
For the 100th time...zone-read is a play, not an offense. Dual threat guys may never run a zone-read or any other kind of option play. They are guys who are a threat to take off and make plays with their legs. Lots of teams run QB draws or designed roll-out options...throw/run.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #28
Justhatguy
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Justhatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Yea...Oregon is one team that probably has more variations and it's hard to tell what they are running...zone-read is so similar to the old veer option as well as the single wing. Just didn't run the veer from the gun...not sure you can.
You can run triple option off the zone-read as well...just add a trailing back/slot guy...we ran something like this near the end of '09.
I think what our playbook lacks is the passing option out of the zone read play. If you gave Shaw the option to pass, we'd be even more multi-dimensional and teams would have to respect that. Downside would be that our blockers have to block for a second or two more. That's what makes Oregon's offense so dangerous and dynamic. They dont just run the zone read, they use that to set up the pass play and it causes the DL to have to think a little bit more.

Check out around the 00:57 mark of the Oregon/K-state game. The QB can either hand it off, keep it and throw down the field, or throw it to the RB which he did.

http://youtu.be/fDPh9CBLj0U

I also remember reading that Chip Kelly likes and goes after QBs who have great pocket awareness and can make all the throws. He wants a kid who is a QB first but then that kid has to be athletic enough to run, escape, extend plays and run the zone read. In other words, not a Nesbitt run first type of player.
Justhatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #29
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justhatguy View Post
I think what our playbook lacks is the passing option out of the zone read play.
Well the blockers have to know what to do...if you look at the Oregon TD play @ 00:57 mark, they set up as pass blockers...so the play is a pass first play with the wheel route added. Good looking play...wish we ran that. I'd love for our coaches to borrow some Duck plays...I love their offense.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #30
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
I think it was Elliot that convinced SOS to change.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #31
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
For the 100th time...zone-read is a play, not an offense. Dual threat guys may never run a zone-read or any other kind of option play. They are guys who are a threat to take off and make plays with their legs. Lots of teams run QB draws or designed roll-out options...throw/run.
Zone-read is a play that an entire offense has been based around since Tebow's first year as a starter at Florida, INCLUDING OURS for the last 3 years. Actually I think Meyer was running it a bunch with Alex Smith at Utah.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #32
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Zone-read is a play that an entire offense has been based around since Tebow's first year as a starter at Florida, INCLUDING OURS for the last 3 years.
No it's not...and Rich Rodriquez is generally given credit for making a play out of it after watching his QB improvise during a game. UF ran a spread option offense with TT.
Quote:
Rodriguez is also credited for inventing the zone read play run out of the shotgun formation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_read
Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #33
USCNowAndForever
Banned

Male

USCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his clawsUSCNowAndForever is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Zone-read is a play that an entire offense has been based around since Tebow's first year as a starter at Florida, INCLUDING OURS for the last 3 years. Actually I think Meyer was running it a bunch with Alex Smith at Utah.
The Zone Read is not an offense, it is a concept.

The zone read concept is used to negate a defender that is difficult to block by reading him. Usually that defender is a defensive end, however occasionally it will be a linebacker, or even a defensive tackle.

The offense that you were referring to is the spread option. There are several variations of the spread option. One variation is the spread option ran by Urban Meyer. Another variation is the Flexbone, which is ran by Paul Johnson.
USCNowAndForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #34
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCNowAndForever View Post
The Zone Read is not an offense, it is a concept.

The zone read concept is used to negate a defender that is difficult to block by reading him. Usually that defender is a defensive end, however occasionally it will be a linebacker, or even a defensive tackle.

The offense that you were referring to is the spread option. There are several variations of the spread option. One variation is the spread option ran by Urban Meyer. Another variation is the Flexbone, which is ran by Paul Johnson.
Well, great, it's a concept that our entire offense is based on for the last 3 years, and we weren't the first to do that and won't be the last. I don't care what you call it. Offense, play, concept... it's what we run.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #35
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
No it's not...and Rich Rodriquez is generally given credit for making a play out of it after watching his QB improvise during a game. UF ran a spread option offense with TT.
Rich Rod may have ran it with Pat White, but he wasn't the reason why WE run it. It's because Myer did and won a championship with it.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #36
Ballpoint Man
Blue Chip

Male

Ballpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPit

Quote:

I mean - You're definitely right. It's Rich-Rod's baby. Also - It's not an entire offense on its own... but it very heavily colors how we script/game-plan for a game.

I call us a "zone read" offense because we are (or at least, have been. Which is the point of this thread...) recruiting players better suited to run the zone-read and a variety of variations on it. We've been hunting for Dual-Threat QBs for the past 3 years because part of our current offense is built around involving the QB in the run game. At the moment, we're doing that in two ways:

A) - Zone Read
B) - QB Draws

I dont think B will ever go away (I hope it doesnt! That 3rd and 20 against Clemson was the stuff of LEGENDS). The question is about A...
Ballpoint Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #37
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpoint Man View Post
I call us a "zone read" offense because we are (or at least, have been. Which is the point of this thread...) recruiting players better suited to run the zone-read and a variety of variations on it. ...
Not exactly...G.A. is trying to recruit QBs who can be pocket passers and can run if needed. He went after athletic guys with the hopes of improving the pocket passing skills (Connor/McEvoy). There are some dual threat guys who are good pocket passers and the NFL is moving this way at light speed.

Our coaches would probably never run a zone-read play if they didn't have to. We run the zone-read mostly because Connor is a big threat with it and it friggin works. Got any idea how many times we ran the zone-read v. CU with Dylan? That QB draw up the middle is just as good a play for us...Dylan killed the taters with it. That's been in our offense since SOS got here and even before that.

As far as RBs...we definitely want guys who can read and react...this is what Marcus excels at. We want guys with vision to see the field and find the open spots & running lanes.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #38
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpoint Man View Post
So - I've been wondering about the future of the zone read in our offense. Since Connor got hurt, we started really pulling back on the amount we let him run (and when Thompson had to step in, we ran it even less).

This'll be Shaw's last year, and even assuming he gets back to the 2011 form with regards to running, I'm wondering if the offense will begin to phase a bit away from the QB as a running threat. Thompson is the heir apparent for the year after that (and who can say if Nosovitch or Mitch will win the job after that).

What do you think? Will we stay with the Zone Read moving forward, or will the offense move back towards the 50/50 split of Shotgun and I-Form we saw at the end of the 2010 season?
We ran the zone read option play pretty much the entire game vs clemson when Thompson was in. He just handed it to Miles or Davis most of the time, but when he kept it a few times he picked up big yardage. It was wide open because they didn't expect DT to run much at all and he hurt them all game.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #39
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

one point that i haven't seen mentioned yet, and feel is an extremely important part of the discussion is people's unrealistic expectations for this ol. of course we all wanted them to be spectacular this season, because we know how talented they are. but the fact is that they were extremely young. we are talking several players in the unit who were starting for the first time in their careers. guys who were rs freshmen, sophomores and first time guys. then matulis was lost to the shoulder. it is the hardest thing for a fanbase to accept, but it takes time to build a truly great ol, especially when they are almost all sophomores and freshmen. i expect a serious improvement next season, but the season after that is when they should be dominant.
the running game will build right along with them, as will the qb's production.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #40
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcock View Post
Nosovitch and Mitch can both run....Thompson is more mobile than many realize...I like a mobile QB,BUT it shouldn't be the heart of our running game..we gotta put those OL/RB's to work this off season.
Tell Texas A&M that. I'm a huge fan of DT's but Connor is an excellent QB. Unless we recruit a RB this year we will need Connor to run. We will need his ball control knowledge. However, DT is too good to just sit. We are stuck with two good QBs.

We don't have a QB controversy. We know both must play so there is no controversy.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote