CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
ertman420
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
rosstheboss
spareparts
Ericvol2096
usc90grad
MWard
ESPN article on Clow (1065)
Clemson Georgia Game (834)
Mangus now coaching (716)
Can Tennessee get to (523)
Chick Redefines the (314)
Spread vs. aTm (263)
The Bama series (254)
Truly Inspiring (226)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (218)
2 Crazy things (196)
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
Worse Hire Brad Scott or
ESPN Article on HBC on on
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM
2 Crazy things
ESPN article on Clowney -
SEC Network "Take It
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
2015 - Taj Griffin
The Bama series

Old 12-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default 2015 OF Kep Brown commits

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...914/-1/psports

Sadly, it doesn't sound like this young man will ever set foot on campus.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 OF Kep Brown commits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...914/-1/psports

Sadly, it doesn't sound like this young man will ever set foot on campus.
Why does the NCAA continue with this sad charade of letting potential draftees commit to a school? A high school kid should have to DECLARE for the draft, OR commit to a school. Let the kids get "evaluated" and then let them gamble or not. College baseball continues to get the shaft from the pros and the NCAA.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
USCSavant
SnappinNeck&CashinChecks

Male

CockyCash: 200
USCSavant has earned his spursUSCSavant has earned his spursUSCSavant has earned his spursUSCSavant has earned his spursUSCSavant has earned his spursUSCSavant has earned his spursUSCSavant has earned his spurs

The NCAA has nothing to do with verbal commits. A recruit is not bound to a school until they sign their letter of intent. Until then, it is nothing but a verbal agreement. The NCAA doesn't even acknowledge a commit until the LOI is signed
USCSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCSavant View Post
The NCAA has nothing to do with verbal commits. A recruit is not bound to a school until they sign their letter of intent. Until then, it is nothing but a verbal agreement. The NCAA doesn't even acknowledge a commit until the LOI is signed
even a LOI does nothing to stop a kid from signing with the team that drafts him.
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
bhusc2002
Bowl MVP

Male

bhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPitbhusc2002 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock303 View Post
even a LOI does nothing to stop a kid from signing with the team that drafts him.
Exactly. Until the kid steps into his first class, he can go pro. I believe that bit us in the early 2000's. We had a guy who I believe was drafted top-10 who had moved in to his dorm, and signed with the pros something like the day before attending class and never played for the G&B.
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
USCSavant
SnappinNeck&CashinChecks

Male

USCSavant has earned his spursUSCSavant has earned his spursUSCSavant has earned his spursUSCSavant has earned his spursUSCSavant has earned his spursUSCSavant has earned his spursUSCSavant has earned his spurs

Quote:
I know a LOI doesnt stop a kid from going pro. I was simply saying that the NCAA doesn't recognize verbal commits so as far as they are concerned, a player isn't committed until he signs on the line. The poster asked why the NCAA continued to let players commit when they would likely go pro. The answer is that a verbal commit is between the coach and the player, the NCAA has nothing to do with it until the LOI is signed. So even if they put a rule in stating that a player must choose to add their name in the draft like football does, the coach of the college would still get verbal commits from the prospects. After that, the LOI just locks the player in on the NCAA level. They can still choose to go pro, go juco, or go NAIA.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

You're missing my point...(starting my whiny rant)

The NCAA and MLB should not allow a kid to be drafted straight out of high school if he has "committed" to a university to play ball--signed papers or not. If a kid wants to go pro, awesome; but he should not be allowed to verbally commit, and then decide he wants to be included in the draft. In other words, verbally committed kids should not be draft eligible. Schools commit time, energy, and money to recruiting these kids, and it sucks when they shake a coach's hand and then go pro. I know it's the norm nowadays, and everyone expects it, but it's wrong.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
USCSavant
SnappinNeck&CashinChecks

Male

I understand what you said. You are missing my point. The NCAA can do nothing about a verbal commit because that is all it is, verbal. Even if they instituted a rule about a kid choosing between college and the pros, kids would still give a coach a verbal commit. A verbal commit is a kid saying" I want to play at USC" and the coach staying "I want you here also". If they instituted a rule where players had to eventually place their name in the draft, a coach would still be wanting a verbal commit. It would be more like "when the time comes, if I don't put my name in the draft, I will go to USC." My point is that if the NCAA did put some kind of rule in like what you are saying, coaches would still get a verbal commit because that let's the staff know that "if the MLB doesn't get you, we will". That is why a coach still goes after the kids who are sure fire first rounders, because if something happened where they do go to school, you want them with you and not against you. This will never happen though because the rules that keep athletes in college are formed by the professional body. The nfl made the 3 year rule, the nba made the 1 year rule. MLB will continue to take the kids they want at 17-18 years old and there is nothing the NCAA can do about it because kids would just go to juco or naia if they wouldn't let the players in to d1-d3 colleges.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
You're missing my point...(starting my whiny rant)

The NCAA and MLB should not allow a kid to be drafted straight out of high school if he has "committed" to a university to play ball--signed papers or not. If a kid wants to go pro, awesome; but he should not be allowed to verbally commit, and then decide he wants to be included in the draft. In other words, verbally committed kids should not be draft eligible. Schools commit time, energy, and money to recruiting these kids, and it sucks when they shake a coach's hand and then go pro. I know it's the norm nowadays, and everyone expects it, but it's wrong.
There is nothing wrong about it. The guy doesn't know for a fact that he is going to be drafted and wants a place to play college ball in case he doesn't. Why is that such an offensive thing? You're being ridiculous. Also, I don't think we are spending as much time and energy as you think recruiting these guys. They're pretty much beating down our door in baseball now.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
GDub2001
Banned

Male

GDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPitGDub2001 rules the CockPit

Baseball and basketball should be just like football...three years removed from HS before you can go pro.
GDub2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDub2001 View Post
Baseball and basketball should be just like football...three years removed from HS before you can go pro.
So what about the kids in the Carribean and Latin America?
you gonna make those kids (99% can't speak english) come to America for college for three years?

And if not, how is that fair to American kids who want to play ball but will have to go to school for three years? How is that fair to them letting 18 year olds in Latin America get three years on them in organizations?

Plus, baseball is different.
There are 18-year olds who are ready to play pro-ball (be it in the minors)..they are none (with very, very, very rare instances) in football where a kid is ready for pro ball...and basketball is similar.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
The only reason football does that is because college football is a multi-million dollar industry. up into the billions actually. No one would even play college ball if the had to chance to go straight to the pros.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 9505802
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Quote:
This!

I hate to make it a rule...... but I believe for 95% of Teens, 3 years of College will only help them develop into young adults...... Sure there are Teens at 18 who may physically be capable of handling a pro career, by what about the mental development?

Not to mention, some of the best times and memories in life are in college, right?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

What's great about college football, and now college basketball is that you get to see the very best of the best play! It's healthy for both sports.

In college baseball you get uneven, watered down competition because you don't get to see all of the best players the nation has to offer. Like I said, I'm being ranty, but I would love it if the NCAA and MLB got together and determined for the health and love of the sport that kids had to play at least 1-2 years before they could be draft eligible. And to another poster's point, foreign players are not my concern--maybe there should be an age qualification for foreign players to make sure they don't get an unfair headstart over American kids.

It's all good though; I'm just being greedy!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
engr78
Walk On

Male

engr78 has earned his spursengr78 has earned his spursengr78 has earned his spursengr78 has earned his spursengr78 has earned his spursengr78 has earned his spurs

Complicated by the scholarship problem -- kids receiving only % of a scholarship!
engr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhusc2002 View Post
Exactly. Until the kid steps into his first class, he can go pro. I believe that bit us in the early 2000's. We had a guy who I believe was drafted top-10 who had moved in to his dorm, and signed with the pros something like the day before attending class and never played for the G&B.
Gavin Floyd is the guy you are thinking about. He and his brother (who played for Carolina) were both drafted by the Phillies, both were on campus preparing to attend classes and signed the night (maybe the morning) before classes started. and a few years ago they changed the rule on that, there is now a deadline (usually around Aug. 15th) that kids have to sign by

comparing the football and baseball drafts is ridiculous, the leagues are different animals. not to mention the NFL doesn't have an extensive minor league system.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with a kid committing to (or even signing) with a school and then going pro. forcing kids to decide on pro/college before the draft could lead to some disaterous outcomes.
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 107378315064
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

That pitching class would have been insane with Gavin Floyd and Chad Billingsley
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
USCSavant
SnappinNeck&CashinChecks

Male

Quote:
Gavin Floyd is the guy you are thinking about. He and his brother (who played for Carolina) were both drafted by the Phillies, both were on campus preparing to attend classes and signed the night (maybe the morning) before classes started. and a few years ago they changed the rule on that, there is now a deadline (usually around Aug. 15th) that kids have to sign by

comparing the football and baseball drafts is ridiculous, the leagues are different animals. not to mention the NFL doesn't have an extensive minor league system.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with a kid committing to (or even signing) with a school and then going pro. forcing kids to decide on pro/college before the draft could lead to some disaterous outcomes.
Yep, the deadline moved up even further this past year. It is in July now