CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
StormOfTalons
Acockolypse Now
spareparts
b381l
elcid99
sporkgod50
auslander
M.C.
75CarolinaFan
An Aggies View of th (1114)
My predictions for 2 (1032)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (771)
Tennessee (741)
Elcid99 (732)
Question on Student (501)
Erin Murray's brothe (465)
Clowney in Practice (442)
SEC Recruiting Advan (416)
Camp scheduled relea (355)
Mike Davis' HS Coach on H
Question on Student Secti
FIFA 14 on PS3
Tennessee
Elcid99
An Aggies View of the Mat
SEC Recruiting Advantage
Rokevious Watkins cut fro
My predictions for 2014
2015 Commitment - Mon Den

Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Scranton Tiger
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Scranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot material
Default 1973 Newspaper Article

Recently came across an article from the 1973 footall season written by my father. It is from the Georgetown Times. Thought I would share.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 1973 Newspaper Article

Thanks for sharing. I was really amazed at how poorly the article was written from a descriptive standpoint. I am not a journalist so I don't know the exact terminology, but it was basically just very bland. Definitely not the way most articles are written today, even ones by local writers.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Scranton Tiger
Two Deep

Male

Scranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot material

You are right. It was/is a small town newspaper. Twice a week distribution. Most of the writers back then were not journalism majors for sure. They were primarily citizens that lived in the area and wrote about everything from big events like college games to small affairs such as birthday parties or family get togethers. A different era without question.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
TheUSCMike
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 4500
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I was really amazed at how poorly the article was written from a descriptive standpoint. I am not a journalist so I don't know the exact terminology, but it was basically just very bland. Definitely not the way most articles are written today, even ones by local writers.
Guy post an informative article written by his dad and you find it necessary to bash. Classy on your part (not)
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that Unitas was rumored to replace Deitzel. Never heard that rumor.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUSCMike View Post
Guy post an informative article written by his dad and you find it necessary to bash. Classy on your part (not)
Wow..

Scranton Tiger, I am sincerely sorry for my comments. I completely missed the part that said your father wrote the article. I thought you were just posting an article from 1973 that you had come across.. How I missed the part about your father, I have no idea and of course I feel stupid now as I should.

But to try to make it a little better, if you go back and read my comments I hope you can tell that I didn't really mean that the article sucked. I did use the word poorly which was a poor choice of words (no pun intended), but it wasn't really what I was trying to describe. That is why I went on about not being a journalist etc.

What I was trying to say was just that the writing styles were very different in 1973. Honestly, what I was thinking was that the writing style back then kind of matched what I would think of when I thought of what people wore to work back then, etc. Just very straightforward and to the point without a lot of description, etc. These days everyone is trying to be Lewis Grizzard even if they just write for a local paper. It wasn't like that back then.

It was just what stood out to me as I was reading the article.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by cofcgamecock9; 01-05-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I remember those years well. We paid a bond tax on every ticket to pay off the construction upgrade of WB. Pepsodent Paul did a ton of good while here at USC.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Wow..

Scranton Tiger, I am sincerely sorry for my comments. I completely missed the part that said your father wrote the article. I thought you were just posting an article from 1973 that you had come across.. How I missed the part about your father, I have no idea and of course I feel stupid now as I should.

But to try to make it a little better, if you go back and read my comments I hope you can tell that I didn't really mean that the article sucked. I did use the word poorly which was a poor choice of words (no pun intended), but it wasn't really what I was trying to describe. That is why I went on about not being a journalist etc.

What I was trying to say was just that the writing styles were very different in 1973. Honestly, what I was thinking was that the writing style back then kind of matched what I would think of when I thought of what people wore to work back then, etc. Just very straightforward and to the point without a lot of description, etc. These days everyone is trying to be Lewis Grizzard even if they just write for a local paper. It wasn't like that back then.

I hope that makes sense.
Then why wouldnt you just say that to begin with. Man you are on a role pissing people off on this board!!!
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:
Wow..

I hope that makes sense.
Nice recant Styles are different these days, aside from that , I thought it read well.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOps Cock View Post
Then why wouldnt you just say that to begin with. Man you are on a role pissing people off on this board!!!
Could care less if I piss off most people...

And I apologized to Scranton Tiger as I should have because I certainly looked like an ass for posting what I did.. I didn't see the part where he said it was his father.

To answer your question, I was trying to keep my original post short. Again, I was posting it on the thought that it was just an article that he was putting up and not that it was someone he knew.

I was wrong and that is why I apologized as I needed to.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the read.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Very cool of you to share your dad's blast from the past article with us Scranton. I love reading classic articles because it gets you to thinking what the mindset was of folks back then.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 682
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

That's neat. That is also my hometown newspaper.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Nice Post Scranton ! Brings back a lot of memories reading articles like that.
That was the year I graduated High School. It was the year that I Saw my
first live game in the Cockpit (USC vs LSU). Your dad was spot on in his
description of Jeff Grantz Play that year as well.

Thanx for sharing bruh

Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

This post is so much cooler than 98% of the other stuff I read on here. Good stuff!
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
Scranton Tiger
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
It was the year that I Saw my
first live game in the Cockpit (USC vs LSU). Your dad was spot on in his
description of Jeff Grantz Play that year as well.
That season is also the first memories I have of seeing a game live. My father and of his buddies (usually Squeaky Mitchum, C.L. Cribb, Johnny Cribb, Harry King, Sleepy Brinson) would go to all of the Carolina home games back then and several Clemson home games as well. Williams Brice and Death Valley are the places that really hooked me on college football. Not just the games but the whole experience. Meeting at "The Whistling Pig" early in the morning on game day. Are you old enough to remember that place GoCCUChants? Listening to "Leonard's Losers" on the trip up. Tailgating before the game. The electricity in the stadium. Listening to my father and his friends talk about the game on the way home. My father even dressed me in a generic Grantz jersey a few times during the 75 season. Great, great memories. More than anything though, those years remind me just how far both programs have come.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Because I really enjoy history this article was a joy to read. I took it as a personal piece, not a play by play retelling of the game. Also, it seems Grantz led the Gamecocks to victory twice at least. The '73 win described above and the '75 beatdown when he threw 12 passes including 5 TD's!!

My first year as a Gamecock fan was 1984 but my first live attendance at WB was in 1982 when Richard Bell coached the Cocks against Furman. That one didn't turn out as well.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

How crazy could it have been if Johnny U replaced Dietzel as HC.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

lmao @ cofc
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
lmao @ cofc
I would be too, definitely wasn't the smartest thing in the world.