CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
A. Pilgrim
b381l
gamecockgal
DTGCOCKS#32
markp_vip
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
gadeneer1986
Order 66
B-G
uniforms saturday (1580)
Vandy Fans (1276)
Neat statistic bruhh (1182)
Clemson requires sex (559)
Women of the SEC Ran (421)
Watch ESPN3 regional (411)
Cardinal's Jonathan (349)
No Vandy Predictions (184)
tailgating canopy on (149)
Places to watch Caro (145)
King - South Carolina vs
Terrible Officiating.
Texas Tech assistant resi
Terry Googer - new Wildca
No Vandy Predictions Thre
uniforms saturday
Places to watch Carolina
Vandy Fans
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
The SEC East schedule fro

Old 01-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default USC-TAMU 2013 SEC title game

What you guys think?
The Aggies look like they may blow up the West next year...and I'd love to see Johnny Football go against Clowney.

Plus, I think it would be a fun game to watch.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

CockyCash: 600
upstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: USC-TAMU 2013 SEC title game

Don't forget, they lose their two OT's, considered by many to be the best tandem in the country. That could have a huge affect on their O.
upstatescw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

upstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervous

And I pity Johnny football if he has to go up against Clowney himself. Hopefully he will have a few of his o lineman (it may take a few) do that for him! :)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
What you guys think?
The Aggies look like they may blow up the West next year...and I'd love to see Johnny Football go against Clowney.

Plus, I think it would be a fun game to watch.
I think they have a slump next year.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I think they will have a sophomore slump next year too.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

sounds good to me, but we will be playing Bama next year if we make it to the SEC title.

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

My question regarding Johnny football is weather he goes pro or not after then end of next year. As a RS Soph, he'll be eligible.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
My question regarding Johnny football is weather he goes pro or not after then end of next year. As a RS Soph, he'll be eligible.
Hes gone after next year, walter football has him as a top 5 pick. Given the recent successes of QB's similar to him (especially russell wilson) he will be highly coveted in a weak QB class.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatescw View Post
Don't forget, they lose their two OT's, considered by many to be the best tandem in the country. That could have a huge affect on their O.
They lose their C and their 2 tackles are likely gonna declare for the draft. So i think Johnny Football will be scrambling a lot more next year.

Also they lose Moore at DE, I think hes already declared

Lots of talent leaving the Aggies after this year, I think they take a step back
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

No one has figured them out yet, but with an offseason to think about it, somebody is going to find a way to shut Johnny down. I'm going to share my observations any way.

First, Johnny is not taking big hits -- yet.

At some point, teams are going to learn how to get a solid angle on him and lay the wood on. People forget that Connor was damn near unstoppable until 1) teams began to figure him out and they went after him with the intention of putting the "sting" on (I won't say they intended to hurt him -- they just wanted him to get gunshy of running to daylight and taking painful hits); and 2) he got hurt (and then hurt again and again and so on because he wasn't allowed to heal).

In a matchup with our guys -- Johnny is small enough that Jadeveon could toss him like a rag doll. The key is catching the dude. He runs like a greased pig. Fortunately, Jadeveon is one of the few ends in the country that is fast enough to catch him. Here's the problem: we don't play A&M until after Jadeveon has gone to the pros, so we will need a plan "B".

NO ONE should judge A&M by the way Oklahoma played. If Landry Jones had just thrown the damn ball downfield (he had tons of time) instead of throwing screens on nearly every play, the game could have been competitive.

1) Johnny's big advantage is that he is decisive. He makes his decision on what to do with the play about half a second faster than almost any other quarterback and he doesn't second-guess himself.

2) He also places a higher priority on running into space than running for yardage. This causes him to occasionally take unorthodox routes down the field and linebackers need to prepare for that. The reason he does this is it keeps linebackers (in particular) from getting a solid angle on him. He's smart enough to know that maintaining his health is a priority over making first downs. He's gifted enough that he usually avoids the hit AND gets the first down.

3) Last, he throws with true accuracy on the run but he is starting to trust his abilities too much, throwing balls that will eventually turn into interceptions, especially when he rolls out and throws across the field against the best defenses that are on the lookout for this.

Oklahoma could have kept it close if they had ground out a run game on A&M (A&M's run defense was terrible most of the game), so they actually had two paths (throwing downfield or grinding on the ground) to success they could have chosen and for some mysterious reason they chose neither. Their run game was killing A&M and they abandoned it in favor of screen passes to the wide receivers. No idea why. Also, Johnny could have been reading a book in his pocket. Oklahoma's rush was putrid the entire game.

Unlike Stoops, I think Whammy can come up with a defensive scheme to minimize or contain Johnny without letting him burn us repeatedly.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Latt7more
Ball so hard...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPit

I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around for the full time. Not that it's likely, but he surely doesn't need the money.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
No one has figured them out yet, but with an offseason to think about it, somebody is going to find a way to shut Johnny down. I'm going to share my observations any way.

First, Johnny is not taking big hits -- yet.

At some point, teams are going to learn how to get a solid angle on him and lay the wood on. People forget that Connor was damn near unstoppable until 1) teams began to figure him out and they went after him with the intention of putting the "sting" on (I won't say they intended to hurt him -- they just wanted him to get gunshy of running to daylight and taking painful hits); and 2) he got hurt (and then hurt again and again and so on because he wasn't allowed to heal).

In a matchup with our guys -- Johnny is small enough that Jadeveon could toss him like a rag doll. The key is catching the dude. He runs like a greased pig. Fortunately, Jadeveon is one of the few ends in the country that is fast enough to catch him. Here's the problem: we don't play A&M until after Jadeveon has gone to the pros, so we will need a plan "B".

NO ONE should judge A&M by the way Oklahoma played. If Landry Jones had just thrown the damn ball downfield (he had tons of time) instead of throwing screens on nearly every play, the game could have been competitive.

1) Johnny's big advantage is that he is decisive. He makes his decision on what to do with the play about half a second faster than almost any other quarterback and he doesn't second-guess himself.

2) He also places a higher priority on running into space than running for yardage. This causes him to occasionally take unorthodox routes down the field and linebackers need to prepare for that. The reason he does this is it keeps linebackers (in particular) from getting a solid angle on him. He's smart enough to know that maintaining his health is a priority over making first downs. He's gifted enough that he usually avoids the hit AND gets the first down.

3) Last, he throws with true accuracy on the run but he is starting to trust his abilities too much, throwing balls that will eventually turn into interceptions, especially when he rolls out and throws across the field against the best defenses that are on the lookout for this.

Oklahoma could have kept it close if they had ground out a run game on A&M (A&M's run defense was terrible most of the game), so they actually had two paths (throwing downfield or grinding on the ground) to success they could have chosen and for some mysterious reason they chose neither. Their run game was killing A&M and they abandoned it in favor of screen passes to the wide receivers. No idea why. Also, Johnny could have been reading a book in his pocket. Oklahoma's rush was putrid the entire game.

Unlike Stoops, I think Whammy can come up with a defensive scheme to minimize or contain Johnny without letting him burn us repeatedly.
Florida completely shut him down in the 2nd half of that game, once they had him figured out. They adjusted once they saw his play. They played more contain, stayed in their lanes, and played disciplined assignment football to avoid over running past him. Plus he said he was very surprised by the speed of Florida's LBs, they were able to close very fast once they started being more patient with him.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

The JFF and Clowney would be an amazing matchup to watch. I am hoping for that and also have friends who are Georia, Florida, Bama, Tennessee, Auburn and Ole Miss who agree that if their team doesn't go that would be an amazing game of cat and mouse.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #14
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

I think TAM will have a "slump" year. 9-3 record.

I'd love to have a SC/TAM SEC champ game but don't think it will happen. Hope Im wrong though.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #15
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

Must have seen my tweet yesterday. Exactly my thoughts. SC vs T A&M next year.

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #16
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt7more View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around for the full time. Not that it's likely, but he surely doesn't need the money.
Yea but if his stock is where it is now next year it would be stupid to put that in jeopardy, see Matt Barkley

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #17
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Their offensive line is ridiculous. It reminded me of the offensive lines in the NFL as far as pass protection.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #18
#7Clowney
4-Star

Male

#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous

I think coaches will have enough tapes to learn to defend him,

They will slump hard.
#7Clowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
Erik
Banned

Male

Erik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Their offensive line is ridiculous. It reminded me of the offensive lines in the NFL as far as pass protection.
Best since AU in 2010, had 4 Seniors on that line, and all of them played since freshman/soph year together.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #20
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Best since AU in 2010, had 4 Seniors on that line, and all of them played since freshman/soph year together.
Yea and none of them were drafted above the 7th round.

A&M has two who will go in the top 15 picks

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote