CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
sanford
MWard
auslander
ccured
Acockolypse Now
The Yancey
El Cid Ranger
donbgamecock
JerseyBird
TAFC 5 1981
Green and Lammons (2938)
Stephen Garcia AMA o (1100)
COMCAST TO CARRY SEC (997)
ESPN Car wash Spurri (868)
Dawg DL man arrested (786)
Texags (755)
Comporium (736)
Georgia DE Jonathan (552)
Ace suspended 4 game (500)
Holy Hell, Indeed, S (350)
Official WWE Thread
Stephen Garcia AMA on Red
Texags
Ace suspended 4 games
Georgia Defensive returni
Men's Basketball at Brook
Dawg DL man arrested for
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Predict Clemson 2014
2014 ultimate tailgate po

Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #21
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Re: 1973 Newspaper Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
I would be too, definitely wasn't the smartest thing in the world.
When I first read it, I thought it was funny because I thought you were intentionally trying to be passive agressively mean... but then your response of surprise and embarrassment was even better.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #22
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 682
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scranton Tiger View Post
Meeting at "The Whistling Pig" early in the morning on game day. Are you old enough to remember that place GoCCUChants?
No, but I've head hundreds of stories about it from my dad, granddad and teachers I had. The building that is in its location still has a concrete pig in the front. Its one of the parts of the town that I wish still existed.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 0
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Sincere thanks. Great read. That was the year I graduated from RB Stall High along with my good friend Joe McGregor who went on to play for the Cocks in 1974, who went 4-7.
BeatBamaTwice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #24
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I was really amazed at how poorly the article was written from a descriptive standpoint. I am not a journalist so I don't know the exact terminology, but it was basically just very bland. Definitely not the way most articles are written today, even ones by local writers.
Come on man. His dad really busted his ass to write that article. No need to criticize.

just messing with you
Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #25
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Come on man. His dad really busted his ass to write that article. No need to criticize.

just messing with you
Haha, wow, I can't believe I didn't include that somewhere in the post.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #26
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatBamaTwice View Post
Sincere thanks. Great read. That was the year I graduated from RB Stall High along with my good friend Joe McGregor who went on to play for the Cocks in 1974, who went 4-7.
I used to hang out with his little sister, Kathy, in the early 80s.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #27
Scranton Tiger
Two Deep

Male

Scranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
No, but I've head hundreds of stories about it from my dad, granddad and teachers I had. The building that is in its location still has a concrete pig in the front. Its one of the parts of the town that I wish still existed.
Yea, it was taken down shortly after Squeaky Mitchum (the owner) passed away. That man could make some amazing fried chicken. We always took some to the games. He was also without question the single biggest Gamecock fan that ever walked the earth. Absolutely LOVED the garnet and black. Really wish he would have lived to see the back to back Baseball National Titles and back to back 11 win seasons in football. I know he's smiling up in heaven though.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #28
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

It's cool that you came across that article written by your dad. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Btw, Georgetown is near where my dad grew up - Andrews.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #29
Superadiabatic
Blue Chip

Male

Superadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his combSuperadiabatic is developing his comb

We played 11 games in 1973 and we were giddy about winning 7.

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Te...27&Season=1973

The landscape must have been very different back in those days (I was 1 at the time). We got beat by Miami of Ohio.

My, how times have changed.

Early and often.

Superadiabatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #30
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb

The OP took the time to find and post that article and ya'll completely failed to grasp the analogy that the OP was making due to your childish bickering. LOL. I got it, though, and all I can say, is that I'm glad I lived long enough to see the past 3 years. A lot of those old timers have passed on
AikenRooster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #31
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

I like that style of writing because it is full of something modern writers lost . . . sincerity.

With regard to your Dad's piece, he was totally on target about Jeff Grantz. Keep in mind this was written two years before Grantz's senior season in 1975 when he and the Gamecocks slaughtered the hapless Clemp. Grantz is the greatest QB of all time at Carolina. Maybe not as great as Archie Who, but definitely approaching that territory.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #32
TheUSCMike
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 4500
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster2112 View Post
The OP took the time to find and post that article and ya'll completely failed to grasp the analogy that the OP was making due to your childish bickering. LOL. I got it, though, and all I can say, is that I'm glad I lived long enough to see the past 3 years. A lot of those old timers have passed on
I reread the thread and I don't see the childish bickering. You must not be reading the numerous threads on QBs. COFC made a comment that he was chastized for and he manned up and apologized there was no bickering.

Last edited by TheUSCMike; 01-06-2013 at 11:30 AM.
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #33
gamecockgal
Cave Johnson's Lemons!!!!

Female

CockyCash: 1000000
gamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot material

Nice article. I like to read about how we use to be, it makes me appreciate where we are even more.

CLEMSON KEYBOARD
gamecockgal is offline   Reply With Quote