CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
b381l
smoovecock
kabercr2
markymark550
GregoryHouse
Transmaniacon
B-G
Spurrier on Pharoah: (2913)
USC/clemson spread (1242)
In case no one saw.. (1033)
injury report? (849)
Odell Becham Catch (543)
A little late to the (386)
Clemson Stacking the (362)
Tiger Burn (357)
2010 Clemson-Carolin (248)
Why has there been 4 (193)
Shaq Roland
Clemson Stacking the Box.
Texans getting frustrated
Ten Years Ago (yesterday)
How do you prep your bird
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
**USC vs. South Alabama G
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Why has there been 40 yea
2014 Charleston Classic:

Old 01-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #41
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material
Default Re: Deal Reached To End NHL Lockout

Again, a big drawback to hockey is the size of the playing object. I know many people that, like me, have bad eyesight and have difficulty following the puck, even with corrective lenses.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #42
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
Again, a big drawback to hockey is the size of the playing object. I know many people that, like me, have bad eyesight and have difficulty following the puck, even with corrective lenses.
I definitely understand that. I once had a gnat on my TV screen during a game and had no clue what in the hell was going on.

Fox's glowing puck experiment back in the day didn't really help, either.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #43
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm not lookin for ease to score, but the ease with which a defense can undermine an offensive play is frustrating.
I guess I just find team defense just as intriging to watch as team offense...especilally in a game where the players are always in flux and you are expected to do both equally well and on a constant and literal ever changing basis. Again, you are entitled to your opinion I guess I just don't know what you think is so easy about playing solid and physical defense the entire time...while constantly having to transition to offense and back again the entire time...or why it being difficult to score is a weakness instead of part of what makes a score so important.

I mean a 21-14 football game is really only 3-2...if that makes sense. The Baltimore/Colts playoff game I just watched was 24-9...the average number of scores in an NHL game is around 5.7 per game which basically means there is more scoring in every NHL game on average than the NFL playoff game I just watched. Add to that the fact that the amount of actual play in a football game is actually very low...on average the ball in in play for only about 11 minutes during an NFL game as oppossed to almost the entire one hour in a hockey game. It is also far more fast paced with nearly three times the actual action and play in every game vs every game in the NFL. I mean it isn't even close.

But hey...if it was for everybody it probably wouldn't have some of the most passionate and loyal fans there are...it would just be more popular.

Last edited by LBC; 01-06-2013 at 07:15 PM.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #44
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
I guess I just find team defense just as intriging to watch as team offense...especilally in a game where the players are always in flux and you are expected to do both equally well and on a constant and literal ever changing basis. Again, you are entitled to your opinion I guess I just don't know what you think is so easy about playing solid and physical defense the entire time...while constantly having to transition to offense and back again the entire time...or why it being difficult to score is a weakness instead of part of what makes a score so important.

I mean a 21-14 football game it's really only 3-2...if that makes sense. The Baltimore/Colts playoff game I just watched was 24-9...the average number of scores in an NHL game is around 5.7 per game which basically means there is more scoring in every NHL game on average than the NFL playoff game I just watched. Add to that the fact that the amount of actual play in a football game is actually very low...on average the ball in in play for only about 11 minutes during an NFL game as oppossed to almost the entire one hour in a hockey game. It is also far more fast paced with nearly three times the actual action and play in every game vs every game in the NFL. I mean it isn't even close.

But hey...if it was for everybody it probably wouldn't have some of the most passionate and loyal fans there are...it would just be more popular.
The difference is- in football you have other events that feel almost as big as scoring; turnovers, and to a lesser extent- first downs. Even sacks and tackles for loss feel like big moments. As a result, football gives you more "wow" moments, IMO.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #45
CockNBlythewood
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 300
CockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to CockNBlythewood

Quote:
Maybe if you played less video games and enjoyed more of the outside world like the rest of the adults you wouldn't be so uninformed...a girlfriend may be nice too.
Someone's vagina is bleeding heavily today. Hockey just sucks.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #46
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

Quote:
Hockey just sucks.
Never been to a NHL game have you?

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #47
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNBlythewood View Post
Someone's vagina is bleeding heavily today. Hockey just sucks.
Claims the adult who's entire knowledge of the topic being discussed came from a three second ticker stream on his video game.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #48
CockNBlythewood
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 300
CockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot materialCockNBlythewood is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to CockNBlythewood

Quote:
Claims the adult who's entire knowledge of the topic being discussed came from a three second ticker stream on his video game.
A game that I play once or twice a week. Millions of adults play video games dude. Be sure to stay close to your Lifealert when going outside though. Wouldn't want you to have an accident in the technologically advanced real world we live in. It moves so fast doesn't it?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #49
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Have they said how many games each team will play yet?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #50
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
Have they said how many games each team will play yet?
The target is 50

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #51
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
The target is 50
Lotsa back to back nights for those guys.... Go Pens!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #52
LBC
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNBlythewood View Post
A game that I play once or twice a week. Millions of adults play video games dude. Be sure to stay close to your Lifealert when going outside though. Wouldn't want you to have an accident in the technologically advanced real world we live in. It moves so fast doesn't it?
My 13 year old 7th grader has a handle on things as they relate to X-box so I'm good.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #53
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCtiger91 View Post
This is terrible news for us Sportscenter fans.
NHL highlights are better than watching NBA highlights. NBA is awful basketball, might as well just be and 1 mix tape.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #54
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
The difference is- in football you have other events that feel almost as big as scoring; turnovers, and to a lesser extent- first downs. Even sacks and tackles for loss feel like big moments. As a result, football gives you more "wow" moments, IMO.
I respectfully disagree. Hockey is a cool combo of football and basketball in my opinion. You get the up tempo of basketball with the big hits of football. Also the goalies making crazy saves is entertaining as hell. I'm not the biggest hockey can but I sure as hell enjoy it, especially playoff time.

I agree following the puck can be hard but over time get better at it. The TV highlighted puck was cool at first but became annoying quickly.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #55
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

The NHL screwed up when it signed with NBC Sports Network over ESPN. Took less money with the desire to be the crown jewel of NBCSN's programming. NBCSN should have renegotiated as soon as the lockout started and given them more money. Have you seen what they show on that network? It's a disaster, they need hockey on there so anyone will actually watch the channel.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #56
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I don't hate hockey and have attended games from ECHL up to the NHL, but this is the main reason why the sport doesn't capture me or have me interested. It is basically like soccer to me except with more contact, which gives it some favor with me.

The back and forth aspect just kills me after awhile...and during that time, I am sure suspense is supposed to be building inside of me- but it just isn't. I know that is supposed to be good defense or something, but I honestly just see it as patty cake in the end.

It is almost like if in football each team had 1 play and then gave it to the other team for 1 play, then repeated over and over...eventually one team would take favor and score as the game progressed, but it would be really really really boring. That is how soccer/hockey is to me. (Wow, I'm glad no one has invented that sport I just described.)

However, I don't hate the sport or anyone who enjoys it. Just don't try to ram it down my throat and force me to like it, like soccer fans will try to do.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #57
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
The NHL screwed up when it signed with NBC Sports Network over ESPN. Took less money with the desire to be the crown jewel of NBCSN's programming. NBCSN should have renegotiated as soon as the lockout started and given them more money. Have you seen what they show on that network? It's a disaster, they need hockey on there so anyone will actually watch the channel.
Also ESPN started ignoring NHL other than during playoffs since wasn't on their network.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #58
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
I don't hate hockey and have attended games from ECHL up to the NHL, but this is the main reason why the sport doesn't capture me or have me interested. It is basically like soccer to me except with more contact, which gives it some favor with me.

The back and forth aspect just kills me after awhile...and during that time, I am sure suspense is supposed to be building inside of me- but it just isn't. I know that is supposed to be good defense or something, but I honestly just see it as patty cake in the end.

It is almost like if in football each team had 1 play and then gave it to the other team for 1 play, then repeated over and over...eventually one team would take favor and score as the game progressed, but it would be really really really boring. That is how soccer/hockey is to me. (Wow, I'm glad no one has invented that sport I just described.)

However, I don't hate the sport or anyone who enjoys it. Just don't try to ram it down my throat and force me to like it, like soccer fans will try to do.
Don't know if you have ever watched with a serious rooting interest for one team playing, but that can make it better.

I can't watch games that I don't have a team I'm rootin for or helping my team.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #59
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Don't know if you have ever watched with a serious rooting interest for one team playing, but that can make it better.

I can't watch games that I don't have a team I'm rootin for or helping my team.
Maybe so, I hadn't thought about that...although I can watch anyone play football, I can watch volleyball in the Olympics between Sweden and Peru, and even watch Ping Pong for quite some time.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #60
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Maybe so, I hadn't thought about that...although I can watch anyone play football, I can watch volleyball in the Olympics between Sweden and Peru, and even watch Ping Pong for quite some time.
I am the same with football, college basketball and some other things but NHL takes having a dog in the fight. I think it has to do with passion you have for a sport helps allows you to watch any team play. Hockey is boring when you aren't living and dying with every goal and big save.