CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kevhugh
AtlGAMECOCK
cockybreeyan
soccerguy79
cockyguitar
Yearofthegamecock
BlakelyH19
Cockypantherfan
Gamecocks1137
No Curse
**USC vs. Texas A&am (55298)
A&M vent thread (11912)
SOS is pissed (4780)
I think the Gamecock (2986)
Man of my word (no t (1708)
Worst Beating since? (1643)
Jimmies and Joes (1629)
Players reaction to (1613)
Here is the trophy f (1612)
I'm not looking forw (1542)
Okay, Clint will be the f
This says it all.
Players reaction to "
A&M vent thread
Lorenzo Ward's Play calli
Here is the trophy for th
SOS is pissed
I'm not looking forward t
Man of my word (no troll)
**USC vs. Texas A&M G

Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly
Default Connor throw to Byrd

Just got back from Tampa but wanted to post what a beautiful way to start the Outback Bowl. Connor stepped up and avoided some pressure from his right and launched a perfectly thrown ball to a streaking Byrd. It was nice to see those two hook up again for a big, early score.
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Connor throw to Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2four2Gamecock View Post
Just got back from Tampa but wanted to post what a beautiful way to start the Outback Bowl. Connor stepped up and avoided some pressure from his right and launched a perfectly thrown ball to a streaking Byrd. It was nice to see those two hook up again for a big, early score.
Kid showed a pretty good arm. Byrd is going to be hard to cover on those fly patterns.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Gutsy call by Spurrier on that play as well, and it should be mentioned
too that Mich. blitzed the right coner on that play and Kenny Miles picked
it up and gave Connor time to set and throw. ... .There was a lot that
went right on that play and it included the entire offense / team. It was
a good example of why we won that game over a very well coached and
equally strong team like Michigan.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Sax1031
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Sax1031 has feathers coming inSax1031 has feathers coming in

the ball was slightly under thrown but still a beautiful throw that covered a lot of distance.

Kenny Miles blitz pick up was HUGE on that play.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
the ball was slightly under thrown but still a beautiful throw that covered a lot of distance.

Not taking offense to what you posted at all. Just like to point out that
deep passes (at any level of football) are very rarely perfectly thrown
passes. When some one says: "The QB hit him in perfect stride" it's usually
about 97-99% the WR who made the pass look "perfect". On deep passes
the QBs job is to do his best to throw it out in front of the WR. A lot of
times it drops short, and some times it's too far out in front of the WR
and is as most people say "overthrown". .... It's basically all on the WR
to adjust his speed to either slow down enough or speed up enough to
take the ball "in stride". They are the ones who make the QB look good
on TV or from the stands.

The best receivers are those who can get to where ever the QB throws
the ball (over thrown / underthrown) and fight for it in tight coverage.
This is Steve Spurrier's biggest gripe with our receivers in the past who
either wouldn't or didn't even try to come back to an underthrown ball
and at least give the effort to either take it from the DB, or try to knock
it down. On this particular play, Byrd did what Good WRs are supposed to
do. He used his body and adjusted his speed to keep the DB on his hip
until he could get to the spot the ball was thrown to. When it got to him,
he simply went up and fought for it and came down with the ball.

Looking at that play from snap to TD signal... The line gave Connor good
protection (especially on the left side when Connor moved over to put
more space between the blitzing corner and him.... Miles picked up the
Corner and held him up with his block, and Shaw was able to set up
and throw down the field... Byrd did what good WRs do, and the play
resulted in the TD. It was a solid and well executed play from snap to
finish.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post

I thought that at first too, but after rewatching it from different angles, I think it just looks more under thrown than it actually was. It was a post pattern, (best I can tell, I'm not a coach) and Byrd went from the hash mark to the ball in the last 5 yards. That was more of a horizontal close that looked like he was slowing down more from our side angle.

Again, just my opinion, but looking at the replays it didn't seem that badly under thrown from the other angle.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
**EDITED**.
Just curious...do u think the throw to win the game to Bruce was under thrown?

WIN ANYWAY!!

Last edited by Spurticus; 01-07-2013 at 12:32 PM.
gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
Just curious...do u think the throw to win the game to Bruce was under thrown?
Different type of throw. Different defensive alignment in respect to the WR.

I am not saying either were perfect or awful, just saying not a fair comparison.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

People can feel how they want, there are three key times to look at it in the youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLP0GUmBUGg

:06 - Byrd is lined up on our 44 yard line, slightly outside the numbers on the far side of the field. The ball was snapped just as the clock was changing to :07.

:11 - This is the first time you see Byrd back in the frame after the snap, and he is between the 2 and the 0 on the 20 yard line, being a post pattern, his job is now to come back to the middle of the field.

:13 - He has covered the distance between the 20 to the middle of the field and caught the ball on the 3 yard line, and will continue into the end zone.

So basically, it took him roughly 4 seconds to cover 36 yards to get to the 20, he then changes direction, finds the ball, and makes the catch 2 seconds later, but how far did he actually go from being exactly on the 20 to catching the ball in the middle of the field on the 3 yard line?

To find that, we need to the hypotenuse of the triangle. We know the hash mark to the center of the field is roughly 6 and 2/3 yards, and the distance from the 20 to the 3 is 17 yards, a2 +b2 = c2, that means he traveled 18.3 yards (roughly) in about 2 seconds, or 9.15 yards per second after changing direction.

Given that ahead of time he had traveled 36 yards in roughly 4 seconds for an average of 9 yards per second, and of course understanding I don't have precise time measuring devices and am working off a youtube video for the actual timing, I don't think he slowed down as much at it appears.

(Edited from 18.4 yards of the hypotenuse to 18.3.)
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

It was a great way to start the game, a good throw and catch, a very gutsy call and a very exciting TD. For some reason you are digging deep to find a negative, why? Had anyone else thrown it, it would have been equally great. DAMN BO...
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

This is the second thread in less that 12 hours I've had to close and
clean up because of some really stupid comments starting a fight
with members of this site..

IF YOU CAN'T STAY ON THE SUBJECT OF THE THREAD THEN STAY OUT
OF THE CONVERSATION OR END UP WITH SOME OTHER MEMBERS WHO
GOT A SHORT VACATION FROM POSTING ON THIS BOARD.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 476000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Back on subject, Do the people here feel like our Oline will be improved enough next year, so we can run more of a downfeild passing attack? A passing attack that will have more throws to receivers like Byrd (making use of his speed).

It seems that this throw and catch is more like we saw when SOS was at Fl.
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
Back on subject, Do the people here feel like our Oline will be improved enough next year, so we can run more of a downfeild passing attack? A passing attack that will have more throws to receivers like Byrd (making use of his speed).

It seems that this throw and catch is more like we saw when SOS was at Fl.

I'm still not happy with the play of the line overall, but it did get better
in the last few games (Save Wofford). I think a lot of this is due to the fact
that we run a mixture of offensive styles and don't have a "base" offense
for this team. Spurrier is the top of the food chain and doesn't like the
Zone read, so Elliot and mangus do the majority of play calling when we
run the ZR. Spurrier is more in charge when we run the "I" or spread
and lean more pass oriented. ..... I think that puts a lot of pressure on
our linemen to learn and execute well, two entirely different blocking
schemes. We need to re-evaluate the offense and decide on one or the
other as a base offense.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
doc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 0
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
To find that, we need to the hypotenuse of the triangle. We know the hash mark to the center of the field is roughly 6 and 2/3 yards, and the distance from the 20 to the 3 is 17 yards, a2 +b2 = c2, that means he traveled 18.3 yards (roughly) in about 2 seconds, or 9.15 yards per second after changing direction.

(Edited from 18.4 yards of the hypotenuse to 18.3.)
hypotenuse, here is a word that didn't even exist when I went to school!
For some reason we didn't need it.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
hypotenuse, here is a word that didn't even exist when I went to school!
For some reason we didn't need it.
I am working from memory, for all I know I could be speaking Chinese.

If the numbers are accurate though, I think it proves he didn't slow down all that much...as much as anything on youtube proves anything :)
Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
Cockfucius
Blue Chip

Male

Cockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talonsCockfucius has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

If the numbers are accurate though, I think it proves he didn't slow down all that much...as much as anything on youtube proves anything :)

Hypotenuse = 斜边.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Forgetting that you're trying your best with an inexact equation. The major problem, you did not taken into account is that for the first 36 yards, Byrd is starting from a dead stop. The last 17-18 yards of your calculation he is already running, so he naturally cover more distance faster during that time. Therefore, if he is covering the same average, he has to be slowing down.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Forgetting that you're trying your best with an inexact equation. The major problem, you did not taken into account is that for the first 36 yards, Byrd is starting from a dead stop. The last 17-18 yards of your calculation he is already running, so he naturally cover more distance faster during that time. Therefore, if he is covering the same average, he has to be slowing down.
Why are you focused on the slowing down and not the great call, throw and catch? Why are you trying to take something away from the play? It was a great play for all Gamecocks but you I guess? The Gamecocks come out of Bowl Practice and produce this exciting TD on our first drive. It was very energizing and a great way to start the game.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Why are you focused on the slowing down and not the great call, throw and catch? Why are you trying to take something away from the play? It was a great play for all Gamecocks but you I guess? The Gamecocks come out of Bowl Practice and produce this exciting TD on our first drive. It was very energizing and a great way to start the game.
He was just responding to my mathematical formula, that's all. Everything I have seen from this guy before would tell me he thinks it was a great play.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Go figure. We go from a football play to an algebra solution and finally come to terms that it is actually better described in a changing rates calculus based issue. Who the F do we think we are? Duke?

By the way, all I know is that the solutiion stevie boy came up with sure got me excited. End of story.