CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStillOwnUSC
COCKYTALKIN
thekob
El Cid Ranger
MountainCock
kingoftheroost
taylorssc
GarnetSwarm1990
USCNowAndForever
I Bleed Garnet
Key for 2015 defense (1119)
Skai Moore out for U (951)
Women's Team Ranked (640)
Lebron makes Clevela (540)
Troubles in Tigertow (527)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (379)
Cockaboose Video (326)
TN game weather (315)
Who is your favorite (247)
Marvel releases movi (160)
Key for 2015 defense
Who is your favorite play
Uniforms for Tenn
TN game weather
Stanley Doughty Needs spi
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
Name a Gamecock
We're going to the NCAA T
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
FSU vs. Louisville

Old 01-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Offensive Driven Team in 2013

that's true. Saw Golightly got some PT in some games. He played a bunch vs. UGA early, when we were using a 5 man front in early downs. I would assume it's his spot to lose, but he looks so undersized...

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #22
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material

just checked, Golightly is the smallest, under 6 ft and 175. The others are around 6 ft and closer to 200 lbs. Roberts is 205

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #23
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra742002 View Post
Just a couple of thoughts here: On offense, we lose TJ and Justice. I know TJ has been wonderful for us, but, we will miss Justice's run blocking ability on the edge and being able to make timely receptions when we needed them. On defense we lose Swearinger and Holloman on the back end. DJ was a huge guy for us, but Devonte Holloman will be the guy we miss most next year, IMO. I know we have some good guys behind him, but he was a ball hawk, the kind of guy who plays the Spur position. I am interested to see who replaces him. Up front, we'll be fine. LB's are shaky, but we have talent, just gotta get em on the field.
Prior to this year, I don't think TJ Johnson was ever full into playing Center. That is just my opinion. He had a good season (don't remember many errant snaps) but I don't think he was ever sold on it. That is probably way off base but just my observation. I think with Cody Waldrop, that won't be the case. I think he is going to be a 4 year starter for us and been very good. He had some of the best blocking film I've ever seen on a offensive lineman coming out of high school and he has that mean streak that a lot of our guys in the past have lacked. It'll probably take an adjustment period to get his feet wet but I expect him to be very good.

While Justice was indeed a good blocker, Rory Anderson made some big time blocks his freshman year and again this year. He isn't as big yet, no, but he knows how to seal edges and open things up. I don't expect much of any drop off there. In fact, you are probably going to see a bump in production if I had to guess as Rory is potentially a bigger play threat in the passing game.

Not really worried about the SPUR either because Jordan Diggs was recruited specifically for it. Although he is inexperienced, he is a big talent that could easily start there 3 or 4 years (I forget if they are going to get a RS on him). He looked good running with the 2's and some of the 1's during Fall camp when Golightly was out. Golightly and Camara are going to provide some good depth. Really intrigued to see Camara as he, like Diggs, was specifically recruited for the SPUR. I think Marcquis Roberts ends up at linebacker.

My only real concern next year with the defense is linebacker. We will have Lewis and Holloman as our only definite players going into the Spring. There are strong rumors that Kelvin Rainey (recruited by a lot of schools as a LB) and Marcquis Roberts will shift over. There are fingers crossed that Cedric Cooper is back by midseason. Then we get the freshmen in here this Fall. So there are bodies and pretty good talent to work with. All we need is 3 or 4 guys ready to play by the time UNC rolls around.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

Last edited by CoverTwo; 01-07-2013 at 03:40 PM.
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #24
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Seems like Nick is alot more productive when Thompson is in there. Bruce too.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

CockyCash: 500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
Seems like Nick is alot more productive when Thompson is in there. Bruce too.
no it doesn't.

i think diggs will be an upgrade at the spur. he is faster, and more athletic than holloman. i think holloman did a good job at spur this season, but he seemed to big and a bit slow for the position, after watching antonio play it the year before. i think diggs and golightly can be more like antonio was, and we will see the production of spur elevated for the season. i don't worry about the lb's either. i know it is hard to lose so much leadership in one unit and still be productive. but i believe those seniors taught the younger players well, and with a full year in the system, players like lewis and holloman are going to be excellent lb's, with a lot more athleticism than the group who just finished. i also believe we will land another excellent lb in this recruiting class to go along with bryant, and we will be set next season. i'm more concerned about replacing all of the intangibles swearinger brought to the defense.
on offense, i fully expect the ol to be much better, and we all know about the talent we have at the skill positions. i believe k. smith and s. roland will develop to balance some size with our wr corps. we will have a truly multiple skillset in our receivers next season, and that will compliment the running game very well.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Prior to this year, I don't think TJ Johnson was ever full into playing Center...

I have always thought TJ was vastly overrated by our fanbase. I know he wqas a 4 year starter but...Seems like he missed a number blocks and often had us in the wrong protection scheme.

I hope we can replace him with an upgrade. I don't think it will be difficult to do.

Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Brandon Wilds.

Mike Davis logged a good amount of snaps this year.

Extensive may be the wrong word, but its not like we don't have guys that have played in big games or in big atmospheres.
Wilds is who I was thinking about as the only one. Davis has some playing time.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #28
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

This past season we averaged more points per game than at any other time under Spurrier. I would enjoy seeing our offense take it another level....could we reach the 1995's all-time record average of 36.5 ppg?
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #29
Pit'em
Recruit

Male

Pit'em is learning to peckPit'em is learning to peck

If Ace and Bruce return...
Pit'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #30
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
We lose 6 on defense and 3 on offense. I think we have a lot of talent to fill those spots, but only time will tell to see how well they perform. But I am very optimistic.
A lot of people before this season were worried about our CB play, and while it was not near elite, it was good enough. I think our LB play will be good enough. We have the coaches and players in place for this to occur. Hello Offseason.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #31
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Having holloman back? Huh he's gone isn't he?
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #32
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

TJ Holloman. Our starting WILL linebacker more than likely.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #33
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 420
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
no it doesn't.

i think diggs will be an upgrade at the spur. he is faster, and more athletic than holloman. i think holloman did a good job at spur this season, but he seemed to big and a bit slow for the position, after watching antonio play it the year before. i think diggs and golightly can be more like antonio was, and we will see the production of spur elevated for the season. i don't worry about the lb's either. i know it is hard to lose so much leadership in one unit and still be productive. but i believe those seniors taught the younger players well, and with a full year in the system, players like lewis and holloman are going to be excellent lb's, with a lot more athleticism than the group who just finished. i also believe we will land another excellent lb in this recruiting class to go along with bryant, and we will be set next season. i'm more concerned about replacing all of the intangibles swearinger brought to the defense.
on offense, i fully expect the ol to be much better, and we all know about the talent we have at the skill positions. i believe k. smith and s. roland will develop to balance some size with our wr corps. we will have a truly multiple skillset in our receivers next season, and that will compliment the running game very well.

Maybe in a year or 2 Diggs will compare to Holloman but Holloman was a crucial part of our defense this year. Go back and look at the tape from the outback bowl. He was everywhere. He and Swearinger are our biggest losses. Not only for their play but for their leadership.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #34
lunchtrey
Walk On

lunchtrey has hatched from the shell

I agree 100% Holloman made TONS of plays this year and was all over the place in the Outback....watch the tape....he was on FIRE in Tampa.
lunchtrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #35
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Offense carry the load? Not to be that guy but... when has that ever happened? Here's to hoping that it will.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #36
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

Coach ward and the commentators during the Mizzou game were raving about how much they love T Gurley, who should start next year as a sophomore at Free Safety. They said he prepared like a winner, was great in coverage and what not. He was also DJ's roommate this season. That Mizzou game without DJ, our D played lights out and gave up a garbage TD at the end. Chaz Sutton should do a great job replacing Devin Taylor on the edge.
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I love how some people are still trying to make this a Dylan .vs Shaw thread.

Damn folks, please go watch Twilight and choose #teamVampire or #teamWerewolf and leave this crap alone!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #38
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
I love how some people are still trying to make this a Dylan .vs Shaw thread.

Damn folks, please go watch Twilight and choose #teamVampire or #teamWerewolf and leave this crap alone!

We will need both QBs bc it is hard to go thru the SEC with a qb starting every game. Both are essential.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote