CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
GregoryHouse
JaxcockFL
B-G
JerseyBird
gamecockgal
uscGRAD04
doubledribble
usc1
Regalcock
2014 Subway Classic: (1901)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1260)
Former Gamecock root (1235)
Franks boy's are pla (927)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Four USC Basketball (681)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (495)
Kentucky is dominati (466)
Bowl packages (421)
Chance of my lifetim (391)
Has the window closed for
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
official UFC thread. (new
Former Gamecock rooting f
Bruce!!!
The Vent and Coaching cha
How Long Will The Rebuild
Decommitment from Texas A
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2

Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Pit'em
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Pit'em is learning to peckPit'em is learning to peck
Default Our Program Question

First off, I'm thrilled that our football program is where it is right now. But I've been a little dissapointed that we haven't won a SEC title by now.

My ? is: Whould Saban have won a title coaching this team the last 8 yrs? Or is Spurrier getting the max out of our team?
Pit'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Our Program Question

We are headed in the right direction. Rome was not built in a day.
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
GarnetLaw
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 3000
GarnetLaw is learning to peckGarnetLaw is learning to peck

Our program is better than it has ever been and it took a complete culture change. An SEC title is still our goal but to say that its disappointing that we haven't won one yet is a little premature. Have patience, coach Spurrier has us well on our way and we will get there. At this point I am ecstatic about what he has been able to accomplish and the best is yet to come. GO COCKS!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

No...Saban would not.
I think we have a great shot next year.
Georgia will be down on defense....UT will still be down.
Mizzou will still be building...Kentucky will be bad...Vandy will be tough.

Only question is Florida.

As for the West, I see TAMU winning it.

USC/TAMU for the SEC Title in 2013
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
gamecockboy89
4-Star

Male

gamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his comb

No one knows what would have happened in that situation and we can't predict the future either. All I know is that we are a HELL of a lot better off now than we were before we had Spurrier. Before him we had a few brief glimpses of success but nothing consistent.

Under his direction, this program has consistently grown up and gotten better. No other coach has ever been able to maintain success here, and Spurrier has maintained and built on success from every year.

We all want the SEC title/National title, and I gotta believe it's coming.We are climbing the mountain and yes, it has been a slow climb at times.
BUT AT LEAST WE'RE CLIMBING AND NOT FALLING! GO COCKS.

This program just completed it's second 11 win season when it seems that not that long ago we didn't win a game for 2 straight years. We are on the right path.
gamecockboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
BlackMagic84
Esquire

Male

BlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his combBlackMagic84 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit'em View Post
First off, I'm thrilled that our football program is where it is right now. But I've been a little dissapointed that we haven't won a SEC title by now.

My ? is: Whould Saban have won a title coaching this team the last 8 yrs? Or is Spurrier getting the max out of our team?
Answer: No, I really don't think so. Saban doesn't have the patience to talk to reporters during press conference interviews, no way in hell does he give us as much time as it took to do what's been done here.

Saban is a great coach, but he hasn't exactly walked into programs in distress in his last two college stints. If you can't recruit and win at LSU and Alabama, then you probably shouldn't be a coach anyway. (See Mike Shula)

Saban first head coaching job was at Toledo, for one year in 1990, he went 9-2. Then he coached Michigan State from 1995-1999, 5 seasons. He was 34-24-1 (.584) there during that time. MSU is a program almost identical with SC as far as history goes.

FYI, in Spurrier's first 5 seasons here he was 35-28 (.555). So, he actually won one more game here in 5 seasons than Saban did at MSU.

Another thought to ponder.....Dabo Swinney is currently 39-21 in 5 seasons at Clemson, also better than Saban's record at MSU.

.....again, I think Saban is a great coach, but that Superman has his Kryptonite as well. Like I said, it's easier to win at LSU and Alabama than anywhere else.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

What more do you want... i mean we got to a SECCG!!! Cam was bought and if they didnt have him on that team we would have won. just that simple. I am happy with spurrier's progress ( not playing calling though ).
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

SOS interview

http://sportstalkgolive.com/index.ph...and-usc-audio/

"All told this year’s team hit on eight of the ten goals it set before the season. The only areas they came up short were winning the SEC division and overall titles"

I think this is the 2nd year in a row that they reached 8 of 10, I believe next year they hit 10 of 10.
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

SEC Champion = Play for National championship

Do you think we've had a team that was good enough to play for a national title?

I don't.

Spurrier, especially last season, has gotten the max possible out of this program, and I'm not sure anyone could have recruited better players...even Saban.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit

I think we could have beaten BAMA this year in the SEC Champ. UGA almost did... It's nobody's but our own fault for losing against LSU. LSU barely beat Auburn and won against Ark by 7, not to mention lost to Clemson. We really effed that game up. The Florida loss is a little easier to understand bc we just handed them the game and were never really into it. But LSU loss still hurts.

We had the SEC this year. We just blew it.
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
BornCocky'86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

I have a question for you...What do think could have been done differently that would have produced a national champion?

I think SOS has done all that could have been done with the players that he has been able to get here. Now, most of our players are top notch in my book, but I know we did miss on a few that could have helped and that the coaches wanted.

To me...we were an experienced OL away from it all this season. The guys we have are talented, but exp bit us at the tackles and once that wall starts getting penetrated, cracks elsewhere begin appearing.

Spurrier, LATTIMORE, and Shaw have really combined well to lead the rest in this culture change...I am leaving a few out I know, but we had to have the right "team" in place for this to happen...and you can throw Dylan in there...TJ, DJ, the list goes on and one...but it has taken over 10 years since LOU first told us that this needed to be done.

I don't know of anyone who could have made it happen any quicker or would have had the patience to see it through. Spurrier was about at wits end last season when Connor was finally able to take over. Had that not happened, well, let's not go there...

These past two seasons have rejuvenated SOS...he'll have a national title before he leaves (which means an SEC title also) and he'll pass The Bear before he leaves.

Enjoy these times...we are experiencing Gamecock football at its best right now...don't take it for granted.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOps Cock View Post
What more do you want... i mean we got to a SECCG!!! Cam was bought and if they didnt have him on that team we would have won. just that simple. I am happy with spurrier's progress ( not playing calling though ).
What more? In actual championship, not just a trip to it. C'mon now...
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
BornCocky'86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Fair question.

I personally believe that, U.S. Americans are unable to do so, because, some… people out there in our nation don’t have maps, and I believe that our education, like such, as in South Africa and Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should… our education over here in the U.S., should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.., for our…
Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
gamecockboy89
4-Star

Male

gamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
Fair question.

I personally believe that, U.S. Americans are unable to do so, because, some… people out there in our nation don’t have maps, and I believe that our education, like such, as in South Africa and Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should… our education over here in the U.S., should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.., for our…
THIS
gamecockboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

I think an SEC championship isn't an unreasonable goal for next year, given the status of our program and what we return compared to those on our schedule. UGA and UF will be our biggest games. I just don't even know what to expect.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #16
Pit'em
Recruit

Male

Pit'em is learning to peckPit'em is learning to peck

I think we had a NC caliber team the last 3 yrs. We haven't taken advantage of the Super Star players we've had. I don't see us reloading next year and will be lucky to win 8 games. My first quesion was confusing because I have had a few cold ones.

IMO, Saban would have gotten us at least one SEC in the last 8 seasons. This doesn't mean I don't believe we can't get it done with SOS. Just a bit longer..
Pit'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken2 View Post
Fair question.

Making fun of a person from our state.

Smh

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
zambam
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24050000
zambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Making fun of a person from our state.

Smh

And without a picture!
zambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #19
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think we had a NC caliber team the last 3 yrs. We haven't taken advantage of the Super Star players we've had. I don't see us reloading next year and will be lucky to win 8 games. My first quesion was confusing because I have had a few cold ones.

IMO, Saban would have gotten us at least one SEC in the last 8 seasons. This doesn't mean I don't believe we can't get it done with SOS. Just a bit longer..
Our offensive line has not been anywhere near national championship level. Defense yes
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:

I'm somewhat dissapointed that it didn't happen with the likes of Lattimore, Gilmore, Ingram, Clowney but we're still much better off than we have been. It appears that we lost a little steam recruiting wise with the big time players but SC doesn't produce them yearly like other states do. We need more of them at the same time, healthy, and some luck and we're there.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote