CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
GH
75CarolinaFan
JoeMorrisonLives
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
garnet_black215
StormOfTalons
b381l
Welcome to Moe's (541)
Jay Paterno Attempts (454)
Hercules - review (193)
help with army insig (191)
I'm a grand godfathe (107)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (41)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (19)
Good Article for those co
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
college football match up
2015 - Auden Tate
2015 - Mon Denson
Coach's media golf press
2015 - Marquavius Lewis
Jay Paterno Attempts To R
***2014 Nascar Season Thr

Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #21
garnet_tacos
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
garnet_tacos has feathers coming ingarnet_tacos has feathers coming ingarnet_tacos has feathers coming in
Default Re: Connor throw to Byrd

I made $50 on that play. Fans at the game were saying it was Nick Jones (they had switched numbers so the confusion was understandable), I bet the guy next to me it was Byrd. #FreeMoney
garnet_tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
Just curious...do u think the throw to win the game to Bruce was under thrown?
Of course not. On one, the ball was thrown by a QB with a known "weak" arm. The other pass was thrown by a QB with a "rocket" arm.

Obviously, the answer is no because we must protect the negative opinions of those posters who have labeled Shaw as a weak-armed running QB.

Or, if the answer is yes, it means those loudly-stated opinions about Connor's weak arm lack credibility.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Of course not. On one, the ball was thrown by a QB with a known "weak" arm. The other pass was thrown by a QB with a "rocket" arm.

Obviously, the answer is no because we must protect the negative opinions of those posters who have labeled Shaw as a weak-armed running QB.

Or, if the answer is yes, it means those loudly-stated opinions about Connor's weak arm lack credibility.
People only say he's got a weak arm as far as speed. The guy can clearly cover distance. He did need a running start though.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
35-21
Tons-A-Fun

Male

CockyCash: 200
35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I'm still not happy with the play of the line overall, but it did get better
in the last few games (Save Wofford). I think a lot of this is due to the fact
that we run a mixture of offensive styles and don't have a "base" offense
for this team. Spurrier is the top of the food chain and doesn't like the
Zone read, so Elliot and mangus do the majority of play calling when we
run the ZR. Spurrier is more in charge when we run the "I" or spread
and lean more pass oriented. ..... I think that puts a lot of pressure on
our linemen to learn and execute well, two entirely different blocking
schemes. We need to re-evaluate the offense and decide on one or the
other as a base offense.
This has been a gripe of mine the past two seasons. I understand that we brought Elliot in for his experience with the the ZR, and Marcus was familiar with it out of the gate since they ran it at Byrnes, but I feel like it puts quite a bit of pressure on our OL. The play just develops far to slow for my tastes. It seemed like we had some pretty good success earlier in the year when we brought Qua in at FB and ran our offense out of the I and that funky shotgun/pistol alignment with a FB, or Justice sliding into an H-Back role.
35-21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #25
kidrobinski
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1320
kidrobinski is sharpening his clawskidrobinski is sharpening his clawskidrobinski is sharpening his clawskidrobinski is sharpening his claws

I'm shocked, dismayed, and chagrined. I have apparently gone 59 years mistaking what "underthrown" means. Gonna email my old coach, who apparently always falsely accused me based on this new info, and link him to this thread for his edification. Apologies are in order.

Thanks.
kidrobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #26
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

byrd definitely made an adjustment a little bit on the play, but that is not an indication of an under-thrown ball. under-thrown balls make wr's stop or damn near stop and wait on them. as spurt indicated early in this thread, every long throw see's the wr making adjustments on the run. byrd never had to actually wait on the ball, he just made a small adjustment and took it in stride into the endzone. ellington had to wait a good bit longer on the game winner, but for some reason that one isn't being dissected in detail like this one is. hmmmmmm. interesting.
either way, it was a great call, pass, catch and moment in an exciting down to the wire bowl game.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #27
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
People only say he's got a weak arm as far as speed. The guy can clearly cover distance. He did need a running start though.
Yeah, like that out pass he threw on a line to the field side in the Outback Bowl.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #28
BIGRlilw
Recruit

Male

BIGRlilw has hatched from the shell

Watching the play, Miles made an AWESOME block!!!!!!!!
BIGRlilw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #29
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:

HAHAHAHA!!! Exactly! I got a response earlier from a poster who said they weren't comparable...I'm not trying to compare them...I just asked a simple question...and it proves that some are picking up Dylan and putting down Connor bc they simply don't like him. I think both balls...the one from Connor to Byrd...and the game winning throw were both slightly under thrown...but as Spurt was saying...the deep ball has a lot to do with the WR and it is very rarely thrown perfect. But heres the thing...to have people say that Connors was under thrown...and not give him any credit for the win...even though he threw a TD pass on the opening drive...but say it was his fault we lost the Florida game bc of the fumble on the first play...then not to admit that Dylan's throw was under thrown...it just dont add up. But again...I like both QBs...both played great the last game & I can't wait to see what next year holds...I just want some people to open their eyes and see how good Connor really is and stop putting him down when he has done what he has done for us the past 2 years

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

Quote:
Yeah, like that out pass he threw on a line to the field side in the Outback Bowl.

Yeah that's the one Gruden mentioned how strong Connor's arm was.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #31
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3462
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

It had the same impact that it had in the ECU and uga games. I wish we could hit on that play at least once every game. I don't think Shaw can overthrow Byrd from the 50 yard line so I just wish he would throw it a little earlier. I'm not going to criticize his arm any more, but I do think he needs to throw it a little quicker.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Byrd is an enigma to me. Makes that catch but the ball Dylan threw to him went through his hands and bounced off his helmet. I thought he should have caught that one but it was tough. Made a good first down catch and run on the game winning drive though.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #33
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2four2Gamecock View Post
Why are you focused on the slowing down and not the great call, throw and catch? Why are you trying to take something away from the play? It was a great play for all Gamecocks but you I guess? The Gamecocks come out of Bowl Practice and produce this exciting TD on our first drive. It was very energizing and a great way to start the game.
I said it was a great play and that no pass is perfect. I was just making an observation on his math. Sorry I teach math, it is hard to ignore things like that...haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
Go figure. We go from a football play to an algebra solution and finally come to terms that it is actually better described in a changing rates calculus based issue. Who the F do we think we are? Duke?

By the way, all I know is that the solutiion stevie boy came up with sure got me excited. End of story.
Haha...Except we win more than 10 games in football.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #34
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
HAHAHAHA!!! Exactly! I got a response earlier from a poster who said they weren't comparable...I'm not trying to compare them...I just asked a simple question...and it proves that some are picking up Dylan and putting down Connor bc they simply don't like him. I think both balls...the one from Connor to Byrd...and the game winning throw were both slightly under thrown...but as Spurt was saying...the deep ball has a lot to do with the WR and it is very rarely thrown perfect. But heres the thing...to have people say that Connors was under thrown...and not give him any credit for the win...even though he threw a TD pass on the opening drive...but say it was his fault we lost the Florida game bc of the fumble on the first play...then not to admit that Dylan's throw was under thrown...it just dont add up. But again...I like both QBs...both played great the last game & I can't wait to see what next year holds...I just want some people to open their eyes and see how good Connor really is and stop putting him down when he has done what he has done for us the past 2 years
They aren't comparable, in that one was a WR behind the D and the other was the with a DB over the top and not leading him into it. I am not saying either were perfect but to compare which is over thrown is impossible. It is like comparing a fade, where one is back shoulder and the other was over the top and which were under thrown. Sorry that you dislike it, but it isn't the same type of pass. Connor under threw, only by a bit, but it almost caused an incomplete pass. Dylan threw too much loft and let it almost hang too much into the DB. See completely different types of passes so not at all the same of miss thrown ball, so can't compare it.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #35
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
This is the second thread in less that 12 hours I've had to close and
clean up because of some really stupid comments starting a fight
with members of this site..

IF YOU CAN'T STAY ON THE SUBJECT OF THE THREAD THEN STAY OUT
OF THE CONVERSATION OR END UP WITH SOME OTHER MEMBERS WHO
GOT A SHORT VACATION FROM POSTING ON THIS BOARD.
Thank you. Some of the threads have been just ridiculous.
carolinacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #36
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

I think that we will see the Oline take a good step forward in the next year as they get older and more experienced. Our depth will also get better as all the frosh get a
spring under their belts. then we have another good class coming in next fall. To me we will have the best depth on the line that I can ever remember. If we do not improve considerably in the next yr, I will be very disappointed.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #37
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
I am a Thompson fan, and I thought Shaw's pass was wonderful. He played very well. I don't know about "underthrown," but I know that the receiver was able to catch it and score. Isn't that the point?

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #38
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'll go even further than that Grip

Was the ball Tajh Boyd threw to Nuk Hopkins on the 4th and 16 that
eventually was the play that won Clemson the CFB short ?
By a good bit, but Hopkins fell backwards, caught the football, and made
the play that eventually won them the game..... Short passes, overthrown
passes, and balls thrown behind the intended target are as much a part of
football as snapping the ball to start the play. No matter how good a
QB is, they do not throw the ball to WRs that hit them in stride or between
the number the majority of times they throw the ball. ... .I just find it
absolutely rediculous that we have a handfull of fans that spend three
four and sometime five or more pages of a thread talking about a pass or
two that Connor threw short or long, or that Dylan threw short or long
to make a case that the other is a better passer

ALL I CARE ABOUT IS DID THEY WIN THE GAME ? I'll take a win with a
QB that was off target all game long, but had WRs make the plays when
it counts, than to accept a loss with a QB who was between the numbers
every time he threw a ball.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #39
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
They aren't comparable, in that one was a WR behind the D and the other was the with a DB over the top and not leading him into it. I am not saying either were perfect but to compare which is over thrown is impossible. It is like comparing a fade, where one is back shoulder and the other was over the top and which were under thrown. Sorry that you dislike it, but it isn't the same type of pass. Connor under threw, only by a bit, but it almost caused an incomplete pass. Dylan threw too much loft and let it almost hang too much into the DB. See completely different types of passes so not at all the same of miss thrown ball, so can't compare it.
I get what ur saying...heck...in most passing situations the secondary are not gonna be in the exact same place in any given situation. But I am not comparing them...I am just asking if both were underthrown...that is all. 2 passes can be different and both can still be underthrown

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #40
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
Kid showed a pretty good arm. Byrd is going to be hard to cover on those fly patterns.
Hardee har har
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote