CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Regalcock
U-Dub Gamecock
mpilot0705
b381l
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
M.C.
crowcutta
Jwilson
**USC vs. South Alab (18347)
Drew Owens missing? (2171)
Clemson (2165)
Question about after (1587)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1173)
Shaq Roland (1115)
Gamecock Men Have Be (951)
FishFry 47-yarder (662)
clemson game time: N (569)
How about this scena (508)
what I think ab ward
Question about after the
Clemson
2014 Charleston Classic *
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Winston
UFC Fight Night 57: Frank
**USC vs. South Alabama G
clemson game time: Noon o
Big George Statue

Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #41
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007
Default Re: Connor throw to Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
I am a Thompson fan, and I thought Shaw's pass was wonderful. He played very well. I don't know about "underthrown," but I know that the receiver was able to catch it and score. Isn't that the point?
Exactly! I agree with you 100%! Both were underthrown but both were put where the WR can catch them...which is what the QBs job is. But I was just explaining how I don't understand how so many can be down on Connor for "costing us the Fla game" bc of what he did the opening drive...but he throws a TD pass on the first drive of the bowl game and some say it was underthrown and Byrd bailed him out and Dylan won the game but his pass was underthrown...I just don't see where that makes sense u know what I mean?

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #42
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I'll go even further than that Grip

Was the ball Tajh Boyd threw to Nuk Hopkins on the 4th and 16 that
eventually was the play that won Clemson the CFB short ?
By a good bit, but Hopkins fell backwards, caught the football, and made
the play that eventually won them the game..... Short passes, overthrown
passes, and balls thrown behind the intended target are as much a part of
football as snapping the ball to start the play. No matter how good a
QB is, they do not throw the ball to WRs that hit them in stride or between
the number the majority of times they throw the ball. ... .I just find it
absolutely rediculous that we have a handfull of fans that spend three
four and sometime five or more pages of a thread talking about a pass or
two that Connor threw short or long, or that Dylan threw short or long
to make a case that the other is a better passer

ALL I CARE ABOUT IS DID THEY WIN THE GAME ? I'll take a win with a
QB that was off target all game long, but had WRs make the plays when
it counts, than to accept a loss with a QB who was between the numbers
every time he threw a ball.
Couldn't agree more Spurt!! Even the best QBs of all time are ones who put the ball where the QB can get it. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, today's best...they don't put it in the numbers every time...but they put it where the WR can get it. If it hits the WRs hands...that is all the QB has to do.
And like u said...WE WON!! With not only one QB that played great...but BOTH played great and led us to a huge bowl win...and our 2nd back to back best season in the history of Gamecock football!!! Still don't think it has sunk in on where this program is and how much it has grown!!!

IT'S GREAT TO BE A GAMECOCK!!!!!

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #43
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
I get what ur saying...heck...in most passing situations the secondary are not gonna be in the exact same place in any given situation. But I am not comparing them...I am just asking if both were underthrown...that is all. 2 passes can be different and both can still be underthrown
I would say Dylan's was floated too much not as much under thrown. It needed to be a shorter throw that allowed the WR to stop to protect from DB. He floated and over threw it in my opinion making DB almost in the play.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #44
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I would say Dylan's was floated too much not as much under thrown. It needed to be a shorter throw that allowed the WR to stop to protect from DB. He floated and over threw it in my opinion making DB almost in the play.
IMO it's the same thing...when u float one...it hangs on the air too long thus being underthrown. But not to down Dylan...bc as I have stated many times...I love the pass...but even he said himself he just threw it up bc he saw a safety was on Bruce and he knew pressure was coming. Again...both passes (his and Connors) were great passes and helped win the game...I'm just trying to understand the logic of those saying his was a great pass but Connors was underthrown

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #45
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
IMO it's the same thing...when u float one...it hangs on the air too long thus being underthrown. But not to down Dylan...bc as I have stated many times...I love the pass...but even he said himself he just threw it up bc he saw a safety was on Bruce and he knew pressure was coming. Again...both passes (his and Connors) were great passes and helped win the game...I'm just trying to understand the logic of those saying his was a great pass but Connors was underthrown
Technically there is a big difference in the two scenarios in the wording of under thrown and over throw in this scenario. Both almost allowed a defender make a play. The thing is tha Dylan anticipated and let it rip, where as Connor tends to wait to see it open which is why he under throws. Not saying Connor is bad but just making an mention of the difference. A natural passer tends to see it sooner and let it rip where as a more natural runner waits until its open to throw.

To your point about why is one great and the other not. Outside of bias, it's that one was anticipating, taking a hit and won the game. The other had time and was able to throw with all he had and was still short and in my opinion late to let it fly.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #46
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Technically there is a big difference in the two scenarios in the wording of under thrown and over throw in this scenario. Both almost allowed a defender make a play. The thing is tha Dylan anticipated and let it rip, where as Connor tends to wait to see it open which is why he under throws. Not saying Connor is bad but just making an mention of the difference. A natural passer tends to see it sooner and let it rip where as a more natural runner waits until its open to throw.

To your point about why is one great and the other not. Outside of bias, it's that one was anticipating, taking a hit and won the game. The other had time and was able to throw with all he had and was still short and in my opinion late to let it fly.
And here is the key word...

WIN ANYWAY!!