CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
CockyLifer
Badazcock
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (28057)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2231)
Simple "yes&quo (1575)
We actually didnt lo (1387)
Phil Steele just pre (1253)
what I think ab ward (1142)
Extremely Proud (1042)
Eat Crow (1033)
Garcia: Change the R (800)
I want people to exp (758)
I want people to explain
We actually didnt lose
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Stop bashing Dylan
BAW
Extremely Proud
Defense question
Who start on the d line t
Eat Crow
what I think ab ward

Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material
Default Denard Robinson's "QB" rushing record.

I realize this is going to come across as somewhat petty, and I suppose it is, but Denard Robinson set a new rushing record for QBs during the course of our bowl game, and I don't think he should have it.

Let me say that I'm actually a fan of the guy. I think he's one of the most dynamic players ever to play college football. But the fact of the matter is a lot of his rushing yards (particularly in the bowl game) came while he was playing tailback, so does he get credit for the record just because Michigan still listed him as a QB on the roster? I think that's a cheap way to get a record. Does it suddenly mean he rushed for fewer yards? Of course not, but if the record is supposed to be for a QB, then he should've been playing QB for every snap in which he ran the ball that counted toward the record.

Like I said, I know it's petty, but just by two cents.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

ThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his comb
Default Re: Denard Robinson's "QB" rushing record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
I realize this is going to come across as somewhat petty, and I suppose it is, but Denard Robinson set a new rushing record for QBs during the course of our bowl game, and I don't think he should have it.

Let me say that I'm actually a fan of the guy. I think he's one of the most dynamic players ever to play college football. But the fact of the matter is a lot of his rushing yards (particularly in the bowl game) came while he was playing tailback, so does he get credit for the record just because Michigan still listed him as a QB on the roster? I think that's a cheap way to get a record. Does it suddenly mean he rushed for fewer yards? Of course not, but if the record is supposed to be for a QB, then he should've been playing QB for every snap in which he ran the ball that counted toward the record.

If anything, playing at tailback would put you at least 5 extra yard further from the endzone, and the defense would have to adjust for both qb and rb plays anyways.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post

I agree with u. I was talking about this with a friend and my wife during the game. I too am a DR fan but I think they need to separate his rushing yds into 2 categories.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

its an issue of the ncaa being lazy where since a majority of his snaps occur at qb and he's listed as a qb they count all his rushing yards as being at qb. at the same time if youre a running back in the wildcat whether its the direct snap guy or the guy in motion neither guys are lining up in a traditional rb role.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

I thought it was bs. It like having a WR change to RB his last year and get a record for most receptions by a back.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
its an issue of the ncaa being lazy where since a majority of his snaps occur at qb and he's listed as a qb they count all his rushing yards as being at qb. at the same time if youre a running back in the wildcat whether its the direct snap guy or the guy in motion neither guys are lining up in a traditional rb role.
I thought about that as well. Is it really that hard to make a distinction? If Bruce Ellington lines up where the QB should be, then he should be considered the QB, regardless of where he usually plays and what the formation is called.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I thought it was bs. It like having a WR change to RB his last year and get a record for most receptions by a back.
Good point.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

They gave him the record?

I remember watching the game and them saying that he was 70 away from the QB record, and I thought "dang that sucks for him that he's so close to the record and they won't let him play QB to get the record.

If you line up at a position ... that's where your stats should go.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

I agree with everyone...I wondered the same thing
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
They gave him the record?

I remember watching the game and them saying that he was 70 away from the QB record, and I thought "dang that sucks for him that he's so close to the record and they won't let him play QB to get the record.

If you line up at a position ... that's where your stats should go.
It's old news now, but it seems we're not the only ones to think the record is questionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Times
Denard Robinson wasn't really Michigan's quarterback during a 33-28 loss to South Carolina in the Outback Bowl.
He hasn't lined up at the position much since a late-season injury forced him to finish his college career mainly taking handoffs from fill-in quarterback Devin Gardner.
Still, Robinson became the top rushing quarterback in NCAA history Tuesday, with his 100 yards against the Gamecocks giving him 4,495 in his career. West Virginia's Pat White set the previous record of 4,480 from 2005 to 2008.
LA Times.