CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
smoovecock
GregoryHouse
markymark550
Transmaniacon
rosstheboss
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
robgusc76
2014 Charleston Clas (3195)
The Defense (2036)
**USC Women vs. San (1993)
Spurrier on Pharoah: (1942)
Women's soccer Sweet (1589)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (1147)
USC/clemson spread (859)
In case no one saw.. (791)
injury report? (701)
Odell Becham Catch (340)
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 Commitment - Marquav
2015 - Joe Blue
Texans getting frustrated
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
Huge recruiting weekend
Official WWE Thread
Fly_over tomorrow?
Dylan Thompson surpasses
The Defense

Old 01-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #21
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1039000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material
Default Re: Our Program Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit'em View Post
First off, I'm thrilled that our football program is where it is right now. But I've been a little dissapointed that we haven't won a SEC title by now.

My ? is: Whould Saban have won a title coaching this team the last 8 yrs? Or is Spurrier getting the max out of our team?
SAY WHAT ?
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #22
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I really believe that if we would've beaten UF, we'd be watching our game tonight because I really don't think this team would have let Bama beat them.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #23
HeadCockFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

We'll win it in your lifetime.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1022824
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I think Spurrier is getting the most out of his talent, we've been really fortunate that SC has had some really great HS players recently and we have gotten the best of them, and that it also takes a lot of luck to get to the NC game. With a little luck who knows?
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #25
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

do you think EA Sports will make us a 5 star program next year on NCAA football? Or will we have to wait a year or two for that honor
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #26
Spurrier Fan
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his comb

I'm fine with anyone saying Saban is the best coach in the nation. 4 NCs and 3 in the last 4 years speaks for itself. But for anyone saying he definitely would have won an SEC title by now I would like to refer you to his tenure at Michigan State. A similar program to what South Carolina was before Spurrier took over. Records of 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, 9-2. And this was against the Big Ten competition mind you, significantly less than what Spurrier has been facing while building South Carolina in the SEC. In five years he never won even a share if a conference title at Michigan State. He won a national title at LSU, a very tradition and talent rich program. And he's now dominating like few programs ever have at Alabama. And of course Alabama is considered the most tradition rich program for college football history, that won 7 (12 by their count) national titles before he arrived. You saw what Spurrier did at a talent rich but a tradition poor program like Florida when he took over, and turned them into a power house. He won 7 conference titles in 12 years. He won a national title and in my opinion would have won at least another two if FSU didn't happen to also be going through a powerful run in the 90s. He also played for another NC but ran into maybe the greatest cfb team of all time in 1995 Nebraska. So I wouldn't be willing to concede that point that Saban would have won a conference title at South Carolina by now.
Spurrier Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #27
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Back to back 11 win seasons. Back to back top 10 finishes in both polls. First SEC East title. Beating Clemson 4 years in a row. But yea, we haven't won the SEC YET.

I guess that means we suck huh.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #28
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
I have a question for you...What do think could have been done differently that would have produced a national champion?

I think SOS has done all that could have been done with the players that he has been able to get here. Now, most of our players are top notch in my book, but I know we did miss on a few that could have helped and that the coaches wanted.

To me...we were an experienced OL away from it all this season. The guys we have are talented, but exp bit us at the tackles and once that wall starts getting penetrated, cracks elsewhere begin appearing.

Spurrier, LATTIMORE, and Shaw have really combined well to lead the rest in this culture change...I am leaving a few out I know, but we had to have the right "team" in place for this to happen...and you can throw Dylan in there...TJ, DJ, the list goes on and one...but it has taken over 10 years since LOU first told us that this needed to be done.

I don't know of anyone who could have made it happen any quicker or would have had the patience to see it through. Spurrier was about at wits end last season when Connor was finally able to take over. Had that not happened, well, let's not go there...

These past two seasons have rejuvenated SOS...he'll have a national title before he leaves (which means an SEC title also) and he'll pass The Bear before he leaves.

Enjoy these times...we are experiencing Gamecock football at its best right now...don't take it for granted.

Very well said! I couldn't agree more...our OL look like an NFL OL but just don't have the experience at times and at other times just look kind of lazy. Not putting all the blame on them bc we had some errors in other places too this year but I agree with u that if our OL was more experienced that it could have possibly made a difference in one or two wins this year

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #29
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

Basically one play away from beating LSU. Shaw had a bad game and that happens. FL destroyed our team, but that happens. Look at GA.

Not sure if our Gamecocks would have been selected to play Bama had we beaten LSU since it would have been a 3 way tie with GA and FL, but I think we may have been ranked higher. Basically one game away from the title game with Bama. I believe it would have been a good game as our Gamecocks should be able to play with anyone.

I am hoping the next step is a BCS game. That would make us all very happy and I believe they deserve one.

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #30
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Quote:
First off, I'm thrilled that our football program is where it is right now. But I've been a little dissapointed that we haven't won a SEC title by now.

My ? is: Whould Saban have won a title coaching this team the last 8 yrs? Or is Spurrier getting the max out of our team?
Maybe maybe not , Saban has been successful at major programs Lsu and bama . Spurrier has had to build his programs uf wasnt good before spurrier was head coach and what he did at duke speaks for itself.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #31
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Our schedule cost us the SEC East Championship this season. That 3 week stretch in October was brutal. If we play LSU or FLorida in November I think we beat them.

Georgia was 5 yards away from beating Bama, we whipped the Dogs. We were as good as any team this year
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #32
Justhatguy
4-Star

Male

Justhatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervous

Quote:

Sometimes I think the same thing but then I come back to reality. You have to have the pieces to fall your way to get to the title game (ex: Okla State should have been there last year, ball fell in the right direction for Ala) and be really really really good to win the Natl champ. Only one team out of 120 can win it all. Only one team! And it has usually been the perennial or established powerhouses. Boise State has had good enough teams to compete but not enough BCS love to get there. Wisconsin has had very good teams the last couple of years but couldnt even win the Rose Bowl. So Cal and Oklahoma, even Va Tech have had teams the last 5 years that could beat us and didnt get a chance to get there.

I think we are 2nd tier right now, meaning not good enough to be in the top 5. Before I get bashed, say we started the year in the top 5, could we play up to the level to stay in the top 5 all year or even look good in the box score to stay in the hunt. I think we are as good as we'll get with our talent and roster. We just need the right kind of luck, bad play from other team, overachieving from our players, and coaching that will get us over the top. I think that's what got Auburn their natl championship (barring Scam Newton) and I think that formula can get us ours. Then the talent and pipelines will pour in and will make up for one or two of the things I listed above.
Justhatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #33
cockycock10
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1110
cockycock10 is sharpening his clawscockycock10 is sharpening his clawscockycock10 is sharpening his clawscockycock10 is sharpening his clawscockycock10 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
do you think EA Sports will make us a 5 star program next year on NCAA football? Or will we have to wait a year or two for that honor
LMAO!!
cockycock10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #34
roosterdave
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1234
roosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

I don't think so, but he would have us where we are now, 3 years ago.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Here's what I learned this season:

1. It is EXTREMELY hard to go undefeated while participating in the SEC. Very few teams do it, and if they do, they're likely the MNC. The SEC is brutal even with GREAT schedules...just ask Georgia--dream schedule, NFL talent, and STILL two losses on the season.

2. Your team must GET UP for every single game! If you have one brain fart, one tiny doubt, or let fatigue enter your thougts, you're toast! Your coaches must be master motivators, psychologists, and father-figures to these guys. We learned the hard way at Death Valley, and The Swamp that letting doubt or fatigue get to you is an easy path to defeat.

3. Scheduling makes all the difference! Easier schedules equal easier path--obvious yes? That stretch in October doomed us--fact.

4. Superior talent and recruiting gives you an edge. Superior talent doesn't guarantee a win, but it sure helps in crunch time. We have to reload, recruit, reload, recruit, reload, recruit at the highest tier...in a never ending cycle. South Carolina needs a few homerun years with instate talent every other year to be competitive.

Now mix #1-4 in a bag, swish it around, dump out the contents, bake it up in a pan, and still it's difficult to end at 11-2! What we've done these past two years is about as good as your gonna get year in and year out.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #36
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Saban wins his championships on national signing day, he would have never done it with our recruiting budget, because the way he wins is by getting great players and coaching mistake free football, Spurrier does so much with three star kids, and is imo the best play calling offensive coach there is.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #37
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Quote:
I think we had a NC caliber team the last 3 yrs. We haven't taken advantage of the Super Star players we've had. I don't see us reloading next year and will be lucky to win 8 games. My first quesion was confusing because I have had a few cold ones.

IMO, Saban would have gotten us at least one SEC in the last 8 seasons. This doesn't mean I don't believe we can't get it done with SOS. Just a bit longer..
I don't agree for the following reason.

He would have had come into a program that didn't have good history. If you remember they were saying no one could win in Columbia. We weren't even getting the top SC recruits at the time. To change the mentality and perception of a program takes time. Yes, he turned Bama around but that program had a history and was getting better players than we were, thats just my opinion. I'm enjoyng the ride.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote