CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GH
b381l
Mt. Lattimore
jrussjr
RGHoskins
ConwayGamecock
BeatBamaTwice
davisd9
sporkgod50
JerseyBird
Musburger/Palmer to (1450)
Shaq R. (1306)
1st practice tonight (1234)
I'm in the Atlanta a (1002)
Malcolm Mitchell (kn (724)
We don't have a prac (432)
weather in columbia (431)
Overrated and Underr (364)
Donell Stanley injur (328)
Could we see 3 QBs o (309)
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw
Backup QB competition
Re-Airing South Carolina
Could we see 3 QBs on the
1st practice tonight
We don't have a practice
Official SEC Network and
Musburger/Palmer to comme
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Lebron James Going to Cav

Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #41
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material
Default Re: 8th in AP Poll

Why is renegade doc not banned yet. Ignorance is spewing all over this site with these clemmons fans
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #42
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 66034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade_doc View Post
So why are you ahead of Florida?

We lost at THEIR house.. it was a tough road SEC game, had it been a home game we might have won.. we beat ya'll at your house, leaving ZERO doubt who the better and vastly superior team is. I can only imagine what the score would be had it been at Willy B
Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #43
Spurrier Fan
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
We lost at THEIR house.. it was a tough road SEC game, had it been a home game we might have won.. we beat ya'll at your house, leaving ZERO doubt who the better and vastly superior team is. I can only imagine what the score would be had it been at Willy B
Also, Florida got smoked in their last game of the season to a team ranked #21. A team's last game has a lasting impression on voters. I was hopeing South Carolina would jump Florida in the final polls. They finished ahead by one in the AP and three in the Coaches. That means Florida hasn't finished with a better record or ranked higher than South Carolina since 2009. Maybe not significant to most of you, but it is to me living in Florida.
Spurrier Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #44
renegade_doc
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 400
renegade_doc has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
3 loss team? No, it's probably because their 2 losses were games they lost, at two of the hardest places to play, back-to-back, at a time when both teams were playing well..and a complete beatdown of uga. But your 'ifs and woulds' scenario sounds really fun and i'm sure that helps you sleep better at night
I said USC, genius. As in Southern Cal. When non-South Carolina fans start referring to SCar as USC, we'll start calling them as such. Until then, it's South Carolina for you, pal.

You can edit your previous post if you want so you don't look so bad.
renegade_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #45
OfficeLinebackerCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1230
OfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudly

I don't see how ND can still be in the top 10. They got their heads handed to them by a pretty good (but not great) Alabama team last night. There is not a team in the top 10 that wouldn't beat them IMHO. I would have them around 11 or 12. Just shows how the "media" continues to rate teams according to where the "want them to be" rather than where they actually have earned the right to be. All the more reason to have a REAL playoff with 16 teams.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #46
renegade_doc
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
Jawja needs to be higher and South Carolina should too.....Vandy got the hose also...
Vandy was the 3rd highest ranked 4-loss team in the nation. Not bad considering only one of their 8 wins during the regular season was against a bowl-eligible team.....
Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #47
renegade_doc
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
UF's bad showing in their bowl game is the one and only reason that SC is ranked higher than UF. Had UF won, they'd have been ranked 2nd in the nation. Therefore, the voters took absolutely NOTHING from your head-to-head game into effect when making that vote.

Just like had Thompson not made that TD pass in the last seconds of the game, Clemson would have been 3-4 spots ahead of SC in the final poll.

The final poll had more to do with the bowl results than the actual season (See: UGA being way ahead of SC in the final poll)
Old 01-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #48
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
CockyCash: 1103858
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover

Quote:
I said USC, genius. As in Southern Cal. When non-South Carolina fans start referring to SCar as USC, we'll start calling them as such. Until then, it's South Carolina for you, pal.

You can edit your previous post if you want so you don't look so bad.
Some of the national media guys are already referring South Carolina to USC...heard it a ton of times...we'll continue to say USC...it is what it is
Old 01-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #49
renegade_doc
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebackerCock View Post
I don't see how ND can still be in the top 10. They got their heads handed to them by a pretty good (but not great) Alabama team last night. There is not a team in the top 10 that wouldn't beat them IMHO. I would have them around 11 or 12. Just shows how the "media" continues to rate teams according to where the "want them to be" rather than where they actually have earned the right to be. All the more reason to have a REAL playoff with 16 teams.
If Bama isn't great, then who is? They're the best team in the SEC, so I guess every team in the SEC is "pretty good" at best.

A fan of an SEC team complaining about the media bias. Now that may be a first.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #50
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material

so #5 is being way ahead of #8...hmmmm....must be that Clemson logic
Old 01-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #51
renegade_doc
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocklover View Post
Some of the national media guys are already referring South Carolina to USC...heard it a ton of times...we'll continue to say USC...it is what it is
Well I've never heard it. Not calling you a liar, but I watch alot of ESPN and sports radio and have never heard national guys call South Carolina "USC". Not once. I'm sure a video wouldn't be too hard to procure if it's happened "a ton of times", though.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #52
renegade_doc
Banned

Male

Quote:
so #5 is being way ahead of #8...hmmmm....must be that Clemson logic
The distance between Georgia and SC (in terms of votes/points) is twice the distance from SC to Clemson
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #53
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

Quote:
Well I've never heard it. Not calling you a liar, but I watch alot of ESPN and sports radio and have never heard national guys call South Carolina "USC". Not once. I'm sure a video wouldn't be too hard to procure if it's happened "a ton of times", though.
I've heard it a lot on the games I've watched and when they've talked about South Carolina on the radio...guess we're not watching the same thing...lol
Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #54
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

Quote:
The distance between Georgia and SC (in terms of votes/points) is twice the distance from SC to Clemson
oh how times have changed for the Carolina and Clemson fans...and i'm loving it
Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #55
renegade_doc
Banned

Male

Quote:
oh how times have changed for the Carolina and Clemson fans...and i'm loving it
I know. Both teams are finally seeing sustained success. Both teams are in the top 5 for most consecutive weeks ranked in the top 25.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #56
OfficeLinebackerCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1230
OfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudlyOfficeLinebackerCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
If Bama isn't great, then who is? They're the best team in the SEC, so I guess every team in the SEC is "pretty good" at best.

A fan of an SEC team complaining about the media bias. Now that may be a first.
"Great" is a relative term and I mean that relative to some of Bama's past teams. This year's team was very good but I don't rank them quite as high as some of the their past powerhouses. Now, relative to everyone else, pretty damn good. So much for that.

As for media bias in ranking teams such as Oregon, USCwest, Notre Dame and other "histortically relevant" teams in the top ten simply because of their history and perhaps because of the number of media people that went to those schools; it definately plays into the rankings year in and year out. If you can't see that then we will just agree to disagree.

PS....there is no way on this side of Hell that ND should have been in the top 5 and Bama showed that in spades. A REAL playoff with 16 teams will resolve this issue and take the writers and so called "experts" pretty much out of the equation.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #57
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Quote:
UF's bad showing in their bowl game is the one and only reason that SC is ranked higher than UF. Had UF won, they'd have been ranked 2nd in the nation. Therefore, the voters took absolutely NOTHING from your head-to-head game into effect when making that vote.

Just like had Thompson not made that TD pass in the last seconds of the game, Clemson would have been 3-4 spots ahead of SC in the final poll.

The final poll had more to do with the bowl results than the actual season (See: UGA being way ahead of SC in the final poll)
this whole post is shoulda, woulda, coulda. the final poll is the most important poll of the seasn and that is that. how else can you rate how each teams season went? lol
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #58
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3462
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Quote:

Just as if LSU had lined up and run the ball twice at the end instead of throwing it twice and stopping the clock klimpsun probably wouldn't have even been ranked in the top 15 or 20. Both teams made the plays to win and if "if and buts were candies and nuts....."
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #59
renegade_doc
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
Just as if LSU had lined up and run the ball twice at the end instead of throwing it twice and stopping the clock klimpsun probably wouldn't have even been ranked in the top 15 or 20. Both teams made the plays to win and if "if and buts were candies and nuts....."
LSU had been stopped on 3rd and 2 or less 3 times earlier in the half. Perhaps that played into their decision. All that would've done is make Clemson use the timeouts, but they had all the time in the world on that drive. Regardless, it's the "butterfly effect". Clemson could have maybe scored a TD instead of a FG because everything gets changed in that situation. One thing is for sure is that they wouldn't have been in a 4th and 16 situation.

The point I was making was that the relative final rankings were due SOLELY to bowl outcomes, which in SC and CU's case were semi-miraculous comebacks. Therefore, to use the final rankings as a "team x is better than team y" statement is pointless as it was just 1 game separated from the regular season. Clemson could've very easily been ranked higher than SC in the final rankings. Just like SC could have very easily been ranked 10-12 spots ahead of Clemson. In the end, both teams moved up slightly from preseason. Clemson moreso, but we're splitting hairs.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #60
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

lol@UF ahead of Louisville. I can't believe we lost to that team, but that's what happens when you put the ball on the ground 3 times in 1 half (in the red zone, at that).
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote