CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
ReadR00ster
cocksmith1or11
Gamecocks1137
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
Regalcock
The Yancey
conwaycock2
ESPN Game Day Commen (1196)
Simple "yes&quo (1064)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (835)
Phil Steele just pre (743)
The Comeback & T (728)
TeMarcus Blanton (516)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (511)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
Garcia: Change the R (464)
Wallpaper & Back (226)
Best place to watch the g
Phil Steele just predicte
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Simple "yes" or
Where in Seattle
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ A
2016 - Avery McCall

View Poll Results: WHICH WAS THE BETTER OF THE TWO 11 WIN TEAMS ?
2011 7 11.29%
2012 55 88.71%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default 2011 or 2012 ?

Last year a thread went up a day after the Capitol 1 Bowl win over
Nebraska as to which was the better team. 2011 or 1984. It generated
a lot of really good discussion from members who were around to witness
the two different teams.

SO:
I'll pose a question that's a little bit tougher.
Now that we've had back to back 11 win seasons, which of the two would
you say was the better team, and Why ?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2011 or 2012 ?

I'm going to go with 2012.

Our defense was better overall, and I feel that while we pooped the bed against Florida, at least it was a decent team at their house. There's just NO excuse for losing to Auburn in 2011.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
roosterdave
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1106
roosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Last year a thread went up a day after the Capitol 1 Bowl win over
Nebraska as to which was the better team. 2011 or 1984. It generated
a lot of really good discussion from members who were around to witness
the two different teams.

SO:
I'll pose a question that's a little bit tougher.
Now that we've had back to back 11 win seasons, which of the two would
you say was the better team, and Why ?
2011 may have had some more star players at certain positions, but 2012 had a better "team". Great group of leaders and everyone playing for the guy next to him.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
I'm going to go with 2012.

Our defense was better overall, and I feel that while we pooped the bed against Florida, at least it was a decent team at their house. There's just NO excuse for losing to Auburn in 2011.
Pretty much what I was going to say. Plus beating uga at home like we did and then beating clemson at their house..this season had some really nice moments.
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Mr. Burns
No Soul

Male

CockyCash: 447110
Mr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot material

Never would have thought how dirty our defense would still be after losing Ingram, Gilmore, Allen, and Ellis Johnson.

Same with our offense after losing Alshon. After seeing our team this year, I much prefer several short, quick receivers to one, gigantic stud that the QB locks on.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Both teams had identical records. Both had crazy good defenses. But 2012 team offense had the best scoring average since the 2006 Liberty bowl team. The best teams are good or great in all phases, and this past season the Gamecocks were able to put together the best performance from all 3 phases in the game. The top to bottom quality play and laundry list of exceptional players make 2012 the best Gamecock team ever!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post

Never would have thought how dirty our defense would still be after losing Ingram, Gilmore, Allen, and Ellis Johnson.

Same with our offense after losing Alshon. After seeing our team this year, I much prefer several short, quick receivers to one, gigantic stud that the QB locks on.
so impressive
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

2012, only because Special Teams are better.

2011's defense was better, but 2012's offense is better. So it kind of cancels it out, but 2012's Special Teams are night and day.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

I really think the 2011 team was the better program.
Yes the defense was not as sound overall through the entire year,
and our offense was spotty and had to scrap and scrape for a lot of
wins, however, to me that was the foundation of what came this year
and I think the team came together at the end of they year and ended
as a very solid team.

I do think that our team from start to finish this year was better on both
sides of the ball, and Ace gave the Special teams reason to be proud
for the fist time in a decade or more. I just like the way our guys overcame
a lot of adversity last year and found ways to win ugly and ended up as
our best year ever (at that time). We are seeing this year, players molded
in the fires of last year. Myself, I like watching the fire and seeing the
finished product in the development.

Lost Lattimore for the season (the first time), Lost a three year starter
at QB halfway through the year, lost our Defensive Coordinator at the
end of they year, and lost some key players to injuries toward the end
of the year. ... yet we came out of it with our first ever 11 win season.

2011 gets my vote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

2012 because we were expected to be better and we snuck up on no one. We also got more national attention this year across the board and we proved we could beat clemusx with bench players..lol.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
2012, only because Special Teams are better.

2011's defense was better, but 2012's offense is better. So it kind of cancels it out, but 2012's Special Teams are night and day.

Right on C2. I think people forget how much better this team is on offense compared to last year's. There was a stretch of games last year that we struggled to score over 14 points every time out. Think we went under 20 once this year if I remember correctly.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Twice .. 17 vs Vandy , 11 vs UF

4 times in 2011 .. 13 vs AU (have you guys seen Erik? Oh wait..), 14 vs MSU, 14 vs UT, 17 vs UF

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

This is a tough one for me. Although the 2011 team won through adversity the Auburn game still turns my stomach to this day. I say to this day if Shaw had played the second half of that game we would have won the east and had a real shot at beating LSU for the title.

This year Lattimore went down again in a real ugly fashion that you could see in the players faces just how much it affected the whole team. Then our starting QB injured his throwing shoulder in the first quarter of the first game and then just when the shoulder is close to healed he injures his foot so he never was 100% healthy. They played what had to be the most brutal stretch of games in college football through October and into November. They were in it to the end at LSU at night which is the toughest enviroment in college football. Not only went undefeated at home but completely destroyed Georgia doing it. And to top it off they went into Clemson's house and dominated them for 3/4's of that game to make it 4 in a row!
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

The 2012 team would have won every game on the 2011 schedule
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Statistically, 2012 was the better team...played a tougher schedule and the points scored v. points allowed was the biggest margin since SOS has been here and likely ever.

Check my sig.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

2012 - the flu/injury bug in the middle was the thing hurt us, though.
GoldenSpur7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

12 for me

Didn't have the slip up against an inferior opponent (auburn in 11)
Special teams were infinitely better
Tougher schedule having to go to LSU, UF and Auburn-lite
Handled adversity @UK and @Vandy
Game winning drive against Michigan
Nobody got kicked off mid-season
gamecockguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
cockypastor
Exiled in Hogland

Male

cockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his combcockypastor is developing his comb

2012 team didn't have the inexplicable loss, ie Kentucky or Auburn.
cockypastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #19
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

2012... Tougher schedule, and 2 top 10 wins(one on the road).... If you go by final polls.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

2012 played a tougher schedule.