CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NineInchSpurs
WeStill0wnUSC
Badazcock
Pty23
gromweat
ReadR00ster
rabid cock
markymark550
Goofyboy
2000grad
Well, as it turns ou (2402)
Luginbill says ECU s (2355)
What the heck is up (1817)
Next years RB situat (1677)
ECU fan here (1375)
So, Vanderbilt is ne (1301)
Davis dinged up agai (1129)
Freaky Coincidence o (1068)
Defensive stand-arou (910)
Quarles is a Colt! (705)
New Photos by Travis Bell
Davis dinged up again?
For the love of God! -- P
So, Vanderbilt is next
Robin William's fakes dea
Well, as it turns out, we
No Gurley near the goal l
What the heck is up with
Defensive stand-around pl
Name a Gamecock

Old 07-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Re: My concerns going into the 2012 football season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

I don't have ANY concerns about the S&C Program. Coach Connally basically ran that thing himself during the Summers and he knows exactly what he is doing. He and Coach Fitz together put together the strength plan so there should not and will not be a drop off. I also like how he is focusing a little more on flexibility this Summer.
Solid post C2. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
easymoney
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
easymoney is learning to peck

no concerns win 14-0 GO COCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
easymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1918547116
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

Gilmore had talent but not very much technique.
We could do as well or better with a less talented guy with better technique.
A guy with talent and technique would be awesome!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

My main concern is the passing game. There's no doubt we have plenty of talent but outside of Ace we don't have any consistent reliable targets...just a bunch of potential. And I don't see Ace getting more than 4-5 catches a game. Guys his size just aren't go to receivers down field in this league. If no one steps up other than Ace we are in a for a long year throwing the ball which will make it tougher on Latti and the ground game.

Shaw is a good and accurate passer IMO but as we all know he struggles with getting the ball out of his hand quickly. Despite the winning streak we had to finish off the year he still consistently struggled with that.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
Gamecock Stock
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
Are these the same Clempson fans who thought they should have been playing for the national championship this year? Why in the world would you listen to anything those inbreds would say?????

To answer you specifically, we are thin behind the starters at corner. That is a fact but there is talent there. Just unproven talent.

The players I know on the team feel Ward is a distinct improvement on EJ. They felt there were times when we had teams on the rope but we played straight up on D when we could have put them away with a bit more pressure.. You won't see that with Ward. And Ward relates to the players much better. Don't discount that.

This is the best physically conditioned team SC has ever put on the field. Take it to the bank. We have a team of winners now. They almost don't need a coach. But Connally hasn't missed a beat from Fitz according to the players I know.

My two cents although I think most will agree that Clempson fans don't know their ass from a hole in the ground these days.
On the contrary, the concerns I expresed come from my independent thoughts and analysis. I simply mentioned what the moronic taters have said, as an afterthought. I mentioned what they said about Lorenzo and indicated that I didn't necessarily agree with them. And I only stated their complaints about their own S&C Coordinator to highlight the importance that a S&C Coordinator is to a program.
Gamecock Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #26
puddle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 923100
puddle is sharpening his clawspuddle is sharpening his clawspuddle is sharpening his clawspuddle is sharpening his claws

My concerns this year is. The traffic won't be any better and global warming!

Go Cocks
puddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #27
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

I am concerned about the backup QB spot. If Connor gets hurt we have very little experience behind him. Connor's awesome but as much as he runs, I worry that he will get clobbered, and I hope our offense can withstand something like that. Not meant as a knock on the backup qb's but they are untested in clutch situations.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #28
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
I am concerned about the backup QB spot. If Connor gets hurt we have very little experience behind him. Connor's awesome but as much as he runs, I worry that he will get clobbered, and I hope our offense can withstand something like that. Not meant as a knock on the backup qb's but they are untested in clutch situations.

That's no issue....if Connor gets hurt, South Carolina will put Ellington under center and run the ball 87% of the time...what?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #29
uscnoklahoma
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 400
uscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPit

#3. We are improved. Fact. Losing fitz wasn't a loss.

This space has been censored
uscnoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #30
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
I hope we will be in position score-wise in the early games to get some work for backups at a number of key positions, most notably quarterback. Shaw has shown a number of times his perspective on his role by sliding and going OB when he could stretch some more yards out of a run. I worry most about a blindside hit on a dropback than a hit while running. He already knows his knees will be targeted. There are a couple of edgy teams who go for late hits and head shots apparently seeking damage. LSU comes to mind. Alabama did it a lot vs Arkansas last year, but only got flagged a couple of times.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #31
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Quote:
I suspect or at least hope that Conner spent a few hours analyzing the big hits he took last year and ways they might have been avoided. When you already have the first down it just isn't worth your season to risk clobberation for a few more.
BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #32
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

I am concerned about experience at the left and right tackle spots, as well as the receivers. Sanders will be good there, but the older receivers haven't been great, and the young guys will need a good 6 or 7 games before they get enough reps.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #33
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
I am concerned about experience at the left and right tackle spots, as well as the receivers. Sanders will be good there, but the older receivers haven't been great, and the young guys will need a good 6 or 7 games before they get enough reps.
Don't forget Ellington who has been clutch. Runs good routes, fast as hell, gets open, has good hands. I have hugely high hopes for KJ and Shaq but as you say it may take some time .
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #34
GamecockMastermind
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 270
GamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot material

Quote:
Don't forget Ellington who has been clutch. Runs good routes, fast as hell, gets open, has good hands. I have hugely high hopes for KJ and Shaq but as you say it may take some time .
I expect Byrd to have a breakout year as well.. dont forget about mr speedy
GamecockMastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #35
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Stock View Post
I am cautiously optimistic going into the 2012 football season. But, like there would be for any football program, there are concerns I have for Carolina football. They are:

1. Replacing Stephen Gilmore at CB. I'm not going to say that Gilmore was 100% perfect as a cover CB. But, he was good enough to be drafted in the first round. The thing that he brought to the table, in my opinion, was that he was a playmaker. He was always around the ball. He made things happen. Who can forget the blitz he put on Tajh Boyd in the opening of last year's clemson game? That hit rattled Boyd. From then on, Boyd folded like a cheap lawn chair for the rest of the game. I do think that we are in good shape with Auguste and Hampton manning the corners. But, what if one of them goes down? Yikes. I am not so sure about the quality of depth we have at CB.

2. Replacing the man who called the above-referenced blitz....Ellis Johnson as Defensive Coordinator. Some clemson fans claim that Johnson was the ONLY reason for our success the past few years. Can Lorenzo Ward get the job done as DC? He did a good job, I thought, against Nebraska in the Cap One Bowl. And Lorenzo did learn under 2 of the best DC's in the game....Johnson and Bud Foster. But, now, Ward is on his own. clemson fans played the Nebraska performance down by saying that Ward simply executed Ellis Johnson's game plan. Well, I don't know about that. But, still, I think Lorenzo has to prove himself over the course of a full football season. Ward's philosophy is a little different from Johnson's. Ward prefers to blitz more than Johnson does. When Ellis had us blitzing, it was a true surprise such as the opening blitz he called on Boyd in the clemson game.

3. Something that's not talked about much.....Joe Connally replacing Fitz as the Strength and Conditioning Coordinator. Again, to hear clemson fans talk, many of their woes lays at the feet of Joey Batson, their S&C Coordinator. There's no doubt that Fitz did a great job for us in the 3 years he was at Carolina. He was very vocal, too, on the field. I know that Connally has a good background, good resume and that he worked closely with Fitz, who brought him to Carolina after having previously worked with him at Harvard. But, like Lorenzo, Joe is now on his own. Will he get the job done? We shall see. We shall see.

1) The secondary did pretty well this year and it was do to teams worrying about that front 4-7 guys. But Hampton, Legree, Holloman etc all had times when they got burned and other times when they came up with the interception, batted ball or strip we needed. They stayed on the receivers long enough most of the time to allow the line and lbs to put pressure on the qb.

2) Lorenzo Ward not only proved to be a good replacement for EJ but he had many fans wishing he'd been the DC sooner after the look of the defense this year. So Whammy as DC is gold and anyone who says otherwise will have to provide a stunning argument. This is no direspect at all to Ellis and I wish him (limited) luck as DC at Auburn University.

3) Joe probably didn't change much if anything at all from what the guys did. We have a team full of strong gladiators now and I would put our guys toe-to-toe with LSU and Alabama physically (maybe not so much Alabama). Your strength and conditioning program must be doing something right (or very, very wrong) if opposing teams think you are cheating because you are so big, fast and mean.