CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
A. Pilgrim
U-Dub Gamecock
Outland
gadeneer1986
Lonnie
B-G
doubledribble
Jim Lahey
Why is everyone anti (2152)
How did we not make (1173)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Busta out indefinite (1116)
Just thought of some (1048)
Miss St. defense (993)
SOS says his next st (829)
Let us clarify some (740)
Is Clowney back toni (680)
Our Road Upset Wins (668)
To ANYONE complaining abo
Michael Sams done in Dall
No easy road for our offe
Busta out indefinitely.
Our Road Upset Wins
Does South Carolina still
Rest of the season predic
Miss St. defense
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
Why is everyone anticipat

Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #21
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007
Default Re: Dylan scores again !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
TJ and Marcus were actually using their off days (Last year I know), to
go to different youth functions and churches and talk to those groups
and give their testimony. They were doing it on their own dime too. That
was something you don't hear about that often and IMO, you shouldn't
hear about it that much. That's when you know they are doing it for the
right reason.
I see what ur sayin Spurt...I am kind of torn on that...I agree with u to an extent that it shouldn't be heard about bc they are doing it for the right reasons...but at the same time...I want everyone...the whole country and the whole world to know how grounded our guys are and who and what they give thanks and credit their success to in hopes that it would spread and be a good example to others.

But at the same time...like ur saying...it's good to try to keep it quiet so u know they are doin it for the right reasons. That reminds me of something I heard about Latti...I think his freshman or soph year...one night Latti was missing from the dorms...none of the players or coaches could find him anywhere...they even asked the team chaplain (who they say he is very close to) and he didnt know where he was. They started getting worried and finally tracked him down and he slipped away to speak at a church for an old high school friend and didnt want any of the press or newspapers or anybody to know. Now that is heart and having it in the right place!

I know there probably kids on prior year teams that were grounded and had their heart in the right place...but it seems like Latti kind of opened it up more for our guys and seemed to start something very special that I hope keeps spreading and growing with future teams

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #22
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 979723021
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

I kept reading about Dylan talking to God on the football field...... for a brief moment, I thought he was talking about SOS! LOL
Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #23
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
I don't think Thompson was paid for speaking at FBS either, and I know that he's gone to schools on his own time. Probably many of the guys do that. I'm not taking anything away from TJ and Marcus, I'm just say that it's a good groups of guys who give their time freely.
I don't really think any of them are getting paid for going to these church
and youth functions to speak personally. I figured Thompson was doing
this because of the OP here and I know that Thompson was a deeply
religious person from the statement's he's made over the last two years.
I only said that about TJ and Marcus because I saw it when someone
posted about it from Marcus' webpage comment. There may be a few other
players who use their downtime to do things like this. All of them are
honorable young men if they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
I see what ur sayin Spurt...I am kind of torn on that...I agree with u to an extent that it shouldn't be heard about bc they are doing it for the right reasons...but at the same time...I want everyone...the whole country and the whole world to know how grounded our guys are and who and what they give thanks and credit their success to in hopes that it would spread and be a good example to others.

But at the same time...like ur saying...it's good to try to keep it quiet so u know they are doin it for the right reasons. That reminds me of something I heard about Latti...I think his freshman or soph year...one night Latti was missing from the dorms...none of the players or coaches could find him anywhere...they even asked the team chaplain (who they say he is very close to) and he didnt know where he was. They started getting worried and finally tracked him down and he slipped away to speak at a church for an old high school friend and didnt want any of the press or newspapers or anybody to know. Now that is heart and having it in the right place!

I know there probably kids on prior year teams that were grounded and had their heart in the right place...but it seems like Latti kind of opened it up more for our guys and seemed to start something very special that I hope keeps spreading and growing with future teams
That statement earlier was more about how our guys do it vs how I've
seen it done at some other places. Tim Tebow couldn't say a prayer
unless some news source printed it and made a big issue out of, and
his entire free time was spent talking to reporters about something he
was doing with and for the chuch or his religion. I don't think all of that
was his choice, but it was difficult to understand at times if he was
enjoying the attention or wishing it would all go away. Even after he
left college that part of his life was continued to be reported about in
any article about him. I think Tebow is a good young man who is strong
in his beliefs, but just wish at times the focus was less on him for doing
the work of his beliefs.

AND.... I love it here that we have serveral of our guys who we hear about
doing stuff like Dylan did, as well as Marcus for the last three years, along
with TJ, Connor, DJ, Justice and I'm sure a lot of other guys, and the only
time you hear about them doing work connected with their church is when
we discuss it here like this or read about it from their own personal logs.
I doubt any of these guys would like seeing their baptism while in thier
pads printed in the local news or posted all over the net. There are some
things that should not glorify the person or the deed. sounds like our
guys are doing it right.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #24
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
That statement earlier was more about how our guys do it vs how I've
seen it done at some other places. Tim Tebow couldn't say a prayer
unless some news source printed it and made a big issue out of, and
his entire free time was spent talking to reporters about something he
was doing with and for the chuch or his religion. I don't think all of that
was his choice, but it was difficult to understand at times if he was
enjoying the attention or wishing it would all go away. Even after he
left college that part of his life was continued to be reported about in
any article about him. I think Tebow is a good young man who is strong
in his beliefs, but just wish at times the focus was less on him for doing
the work of his beliefs.

AND.... I love it here that we have serveral of our guys who we hear about
doing stuff like Dylan did, as well as Marcus for the last three years, along
with TJ, Connor, DJ, Justice and I'm sure a lot of other guys, and the only
time you hear about them doing work connected with their church is when
we discuss it here like this or read about it from their own personal logs.
I doubt any of these guys would like seeing their baptism while in thier
pads printed in the local news or posted all over the net. There are some
things that should not glorify the person or the deed. sounds like our
guys are doing it right.
Yeah...I agree! One thing is for sure...we have a different group of guys here now that we don't have to worry about being locked up in the offseason as much or arrested at 5 pts. (Knock on wood) It seems that our team leaders have their heads and hearts in the right place and that along with a GREAT athletic director...I see not only our football program continuing to be successful...but every sports program seems to be looking up and in good hands.
I know you have been a Gamecock for a long time Spurt...so have I...but back in the 84 era I was only 4 years old and didnt understand it like I did a few years later...but do u think there has EVER been a time better to BE A GAMECOCK?

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote