CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Ericvol2096
l^l^lBGCock
smoovecock
GamecockSuperFan
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
Travelin
treys1986
kingoftheroost
A. Pilgrim
BLACK OUT!!!!!!! (2784)
Gamecockology Helms (987)
SEC QB's in the Red (970)
Little know stat (We (960)
Where do you like to (530)
We're going to the N (504)
Amelia Earhart Plane (291)
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTIN (209)
This season and recr (194)
Anyone have a recipe (193)
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
Have you ever been so wro
What does it take to win?
Lose to Clemson, or to Te
Interesting quotes from D
Uniforms for Tenn
official UFC thread. (new
MY 7 STEP PROGRAM TO FIX
Tennessee Offense Breakdo
2014 WS: Giants vs. Royal

View Poll Results: Who is the number one guy on your board?
Tyrone Crowder 12 13.64%
Larenz Bryant 16 18.18%
Kelsey Griffin 2 2.27%
Matt Rolin 25 28.41%
Michael Hill 8 9.09%
Na'Ty Rodgers 2 2.27%
Mike Williams 16 18.18%
Tyshon Dye 2 2.27%
David Williams 1 1.14%
MarQuez North 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #16161
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit
Default Re: "Big time" wide receiver recruits at South Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
C 2 i think our receivers were best when Jr's main job was them. Him being in charge of recruiting has hurt on the field some i think . Your views?

Not C2, but are you talking in terms of production from our receivers? I think 2012 was our best corp of receivers in terms of production. With Latti going down and our non efficient rushing attack, our QBs and receivers stepped up and came up big in clutch games.

Lets compare our best year with Alshon and receiving yards (2010) vs 2012.

2010 Season:

Passing yards: 3338
Avg per catch: 13.2
TDs Passing: 23
Avg passing yds per game: 238
300+ passing yds game: 3
Interceptions: 17

Top Receivers: WR

Alshon: 88/1517 9TDs
Gurley: 44/465 4 TDS
Ace: 25/316 2 TDS
Moore: 17/164 2 TDs

Top Receivers: TE

Cunningham 7/92 0 TDS
Barnes: 7/90 0 TDS

W-L: 9-5

2012 Season:

Passing yards: 3095
Avg per catch: 13.8
Avg per game: 238
300+ passing yds game: 5
Interceptions: 9

Top receivers: WR

Ace: 45/531 9 TDS
Bruce: 40/600 7 TDS
Byrd: 14/366 3 TDS
Nick: 12/197 0
Moore: 8/139 2 TDS

Top receivers: TE

Cunningham: 23/324 0 TDS
Anderson: 14/271 5
Adams: 4/90 1 TD

W-L: 11-2

Played 1 less game in 2012 vs 2010.

I thought we were too predictable in 2010: Latti run on first and second down, pass to Alshon on third. Granted, Alshon had a monster year in 2010,
but production from the 2012 receivers were balanced and produced better numbers. Also, our TEs were almost non factors in 2010.

Really excited for the 2013 season, with 2 quality QBs returning and our receiving corp intact with Ace coming back. Also should get quality reps from
Shaq Roland, Kwinton, Brent, Fuller, etc.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #16162
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Predictions for how the class finishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 View Post
I dont think there is anyway we close out without a linebacker even if it means giving out a last minute offer to someone like Devaris Brunson
Brunson will be a steal if he is indeed qualified now. He is a big time Prospect with big time ability.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #16163
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
My prediction: We get all the recruits we want and everybody gets laid.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #16164
FeartheSpur
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 717
FeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPit

Top 10
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #16165
The Gamecock Outlaw
Glutton For Punishment

Male

CockyCash: 200
The Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot material
Default Recruiting....Why aren't we getting better higher rated players?

You would think after back to back 11 win seasons that we would be a sexy pick for a lot of these recruits but to this day we only have four 4 star recruits. No 5 stars.

So I went to rivals and started looking at everyone we are recruiting or have gotten commitments from and I noticed something. The person who is doing most of our recruiting is G.A. Mangus. Don't get me wrong, I love G.A. but why isn't Spurrier personally recruiting some of these guys? Maybe that's why we aren't getting the higher rated guys. Other Head Coaches are making the house calls. Why won't Spurrier? Or am I just out of the loop and completely off base here?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #16166
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Recruiting....Why aren't we getting better higher rated players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gamecock Outlaw View Post
You would think after back to back 11 win seasons that we would be a sexy pick for a lot of these recruits but to this day we only have four 4 star recruits. No 5 stars.

So I went to rivals and started looking at everyone we are recruiting or have gotten commitments from and I noticed something. The person who is doing most of our recruiting is G.A. Mangus. Don't get me wrong, I love G.A. but why isn't Spurrier personally recruiting some of these guys? Maybe that's why we aren't getting the higher rated guys. Other Head Coaches are making the house calls. Why won't Spurrier? Or am I just out of the loop and completely off base here?
There is a difference between Spurrier being the "main recruiter" and his doing house calls, which he does regularly. Nick Saban is not listed as anyone's main recruiter.

And yes, we've had two 11 win seasons, and we are going against people with similar resumes. In state talent is down from Alshon/Lattimore/Clowney type years, so that means not only are we going against teams that have also been pretty successful, they are that person's home state school.

Recruiting is going about as well as it should, hopefully we can get a few surprises to make an even better class. Our current class builds depth, meets needs and is filled with guys that will work hard and want to be here.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #16167
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #16168
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gamecock Outlaw View Post

First big mistake I see with this statement (or question) is in the
assumtion that "Stars" = greatness. I wouldn't worry about the potential
of our upcoming class based on the number of Stars we pull out of it.
I think a good calming effect for worrying about STARS this year, would
be to go back and look at our recruiting classes for the years 2007, 2008
and see how many four star players we signed that year, or had committed
at this point of the recruiting season during those years. That would be
the foundation of the two 11 win seasons we just completed. Our coaches
are doing their work I'm sure and getting guys they need to fit the
positions we are thin at or will be in the next couple of years. Connor
Shaw wasn't a four star QB out of HS, but he's been the majority leader
of the two seasons that won 22 game, and only lost 4
Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #16169
The Gamecock Outlaw
Glutton For Punishment

Male

The Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot materialThe Gamecock Outlaw is USC mascot material

Thanks for clearing that up guys. Just a little concerned when I see Vandy's recruiting ahead of ours.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #16170
PyroPepper
Star Maker

Male

PyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot material

Southern Kiffin is nothing but 5* players, and look at how great they did this year.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #16171
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

We have a Top 15 class on Rivals at the moment and are #16 on 247. That ranking will improve if the staff finishes like they expect.

If you are finishing in the Top 15-20 every year, you are doing a very good job.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #16172
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Quinton Powell Thread (2013 Prospect)

At this point I'd prefer Skai Moore bc he's a prototypical LB. But Powell would have to be a take. I don't think we're going to get a WR this class which is unbelievable to me. Rodgers, Moore, and Powell to close?
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #16173
PyroPepper
Star Maker

Male

PyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
We have a Top 15 class on Rivals at the moment and are #16 on 247. That ranking will improve if the staff finishes like they expect.

If you are finishing in the Top 15-20 every year, you are doing a very good job.
This

Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #16174
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

No one really knows. But you are going to get a lot if stars don't matter, we are getting the guys our coaches want and we have some underrated guys responses.

Truth is we've whiffed on some top guys on our coaches board this year and there is no other way to sugar coat it. No it's not a bad class at all but it could be better. We've just missed on several guys.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #16175
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: "Big time" wide receiver recruits at South Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
C 2 i think our receivers were best when Jr's main job was them. Him being in charge of recruiting has hurt on the field some i think . Your views?
Disagree because Recruiting Coordinator isn't what people think it is. Bubba has evaluated and brought in better talent recently.

Also our QB play and OL play contributed to a lot of our struggles with the receivers. Couldn't get them the ball like Mitchell did.

But look at what happens when we have guys that will give Bubba's group a chance, they make plays. BIG plays.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #16176
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Hello offseason.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #16177
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
No one really knows. But you are going to get a lot if stars don't matter, we are getting the guys our coaches want and we have some underrated guys responses.

Truth is we've whiffed on some top guys on our coaches board this year and there is no other way to sugar coat it. No it's not a bad class at all but it could be better. We've just missed on several guys.
Means we've come a long way if we have missed on top guys and still have potential for Top 10-15 finish.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #16178
Factorynew
On Walk

Male

Factorynew is sharpening his clawsFactorynew is sharpening his clawsFactorynew is sharpening his clawsFactorynew is sharpening his claws

If we ever want to win the SEC ( one of the last remaining goal for SOS) then we have to recruit like those that win year in and out. I think it's pretty simple... to beat Bama or aTm, you got to recruit like them. Yes I know we beat them 2010, but we then got crushed in the title game. Arkansas ( with Petrino) was a good example. They recruited fairly well (not as well as Bama or Lsu) and they got the most out of their recruits. Every one knew they were a very good team..... and everybody knew they would never win the west.

How is it that we still recruit the same as we did five years ago? I just don't get it. Seriously, how hard could it be to convince a few elite recruits that we could win the SEC/NC every year with the help of their services? Yes, I know that we are doing well to recruit top 20 every year, but doing good isn't going to take us to the next level. Why is everyone so impressed by the idea that stars don't matter??? Look at our best players over the last three years (our years of prominence); Latty, Clowney, Alshon, Gilmore. All of those players were top recruits. We simply would not have had the success over the last three years without these highly touted players. Yes I know that we have players that weren't top recruits that have contributed greatly.....but it's the top shelf guys that have taken us to the next level. I don't see how it it so hard to understand that we need more top shelf guys to take us one step further.

Last edited by Factorynew; 01-09-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #16179
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Because USC isn't capable of recruiting like those schools year in and year out.

Listen, USC is a program that will end up being a school that is expected to win 8+ games a year and compete for championships the years they bring a lot of players back. That is the ceiling for this program.

We will not bring in talent like Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, and now aTm every year.

We don't have the talent base that most of those schools do and we will not recruit nationally like those programs.

USC has had great success by sticking to a simple plan: Recruit your state, recruit Atlanta, recruit Charlotte, recruit areas in AL/FL/VA/MD/NJ/PA that your coaches have connections. That has led to an SEC East title and back to back 11 win seasons w/ a few breaks away from being in Atlanta 3 years in a row.

Fans need to understand that USC having a Top 10-20 class in years like this where the instate isn't very good is very impressive. You want Top 10 class expectations? Pick years where the in state talent is not only good but deep. For example, 2014.

Last edited by CoverTwo; 01-09-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #16180
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Default Re: Devarius Brunson Thread (2013 Prospect) - East Carolina

Re-opening..

Quote:
USC's recruiting board at linebacker continues to evolve as visits crank up this month. The Gamecocks would like to add two more linebackers to their class according to defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward. One possibility is Devaris Brunson of Lake City. The Shrine Bowler has been committed to East Carolina since late June and remains so according to his coach Jim Rowell. But Gamecock recruiter Everette Sands recently placed a call to Rowell and left a message about Brunson. Rowell said neither he nor Brunson has talked to Sands. NC State, which has been an offer for Brunson, also remains interested. And Louisiana-Lafayette also has been in touch. Brunson's stock has gone up recently because his grades have. Rowell said Brunson should qualify as long as he doesn't back up academically. Brunson is scheduled for an official visit to East Carolina next weekend and one to NC State the following weekend. This season Brunson had 88 tackles with 4 sacks and two interceptions which he returned for touchdowns. He also rushed for 850 yards
Link: http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...730/-1/PSPORTS

Closed Thread