CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
Sandstorm29
ConwayGamecock
Cocks N Stuff
Lonnie
Cockypantherfan
CoverTwo
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
kick_ball
Wilds & Carson B (1774)
Marquavius Lewis (1731)
So, why is next year (1377)
How Long Will The Re (1005)
Restaurant musts in (805)
Why do so many of yo (493)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (467)
Shot in the arm for (423)
'Lord of the Rings: (184)
Custom Jersey (169)
2015 Early Enrollees Thre
Previewing Clemson
2015 - Mark Fields
So, why is next year goin
2015 Signee - Ulric Jones
The Vent and Coaching cha
Why do so many of you guy
Wilds & Carson Back f
2015 Signee - Sherrod Pit
**USC Women vs. Hampton G

Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Notre Dame Question

After last night's epic failure by Notre Dame, do you as a result of that loss that Notre Dame finally realizes the way they go about their football program is archaic? Do they finally realize you need to actually join a conference, and that their entrance standards are too high for great recruits to obtain admission into Notre Dame.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

CockyCash: 500
Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Notre Dame Question

Bama sent them to purgatory last night. No, but a real question is do they join the ACC after they play in it after a couple of years?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

I still think Notre Dame may end up in either Big XII or B1G when it is all said and done, it will come down to the constant travel for all the non revenue sports image going to FSU, Clemson, Miami etc.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

They'll remain independent in football until the NCAA makes them join a conference.
But luckily for them, the NCAA doesn't award a national champion in D-1A/FCS football.
They got good at the right time, NBCs contract is almost up and they'll likely renew.
They were also invited to the meeting with the other conferences for the playoff (so it's not like they are being left out of the playoff either)

Like I've said before, not good, but extremely relevant. They bring too much money to the sport.
Irrelevant programs don't have their own TV contract and Clause in the BCS/Playoff.

I dont see any other conference doing what the ACC is doing for them in Basketball and the minor sports because the other conferences aren't dumb and wouldn't give a team that much without having them join their conference.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

I still never get Notre Dame's obsession with being football independent, and on top of that during the current BCS Era why a single university has the same say as the SEC, B1G, Pac-12 and Big XII.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
I still never get Notre Dame's obsession with being football independent, and on top of that during the current BCS Era why a single university has the same say as the SEC, B1G, Pac-12 and Big XII.
Money.

ND garners two of the largest markets in the country. (Chicago and NY)
Normally not College football cities but if they're good those cities are watching.

#LukeForMod

Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
After last night's epic failure by Notre Dame, do you as a result of that loss that Notre Dame finally realizes the way they go about their football program is archaic? Do they finally realize you need to actually join a conference, and that their entrance standards are too high for great recruits to obtain admission into Notre Dame.
This is a view that ruins sports. Athletes came be smart and top talent. Why should they change anything they do? They have young talented team on the rise, actual academic integrity, exposure without the need of a conference, more money than they'd get in a conference. How does getting in a conference somehow make them a better team. Many of the top players at schools like Bama could have gotten into ND but they chose other schools.

It's amazing how the hatred of ND leads people to make such crazy statements. You should want schools to graduate their players and not just use them like some of these others schools are doing.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudly

If anyone hasn't noticed, ND may have the number 1 recruiting class this year or at least top 5. They recruit just fine. They needed a better coach and I think they have one. HAving said that, they learned last night that they are still a long way off. They did go 12-1, and hard to argue they did not play a tough schedule on paper. It just happens to work out that this year Michigan, OU, Socal, Mich St and Stanford are not lighting it up. Traditionally, that would be a heck of a schedule.
duff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff18 View Post
If anyone hasn't noticed, ND may have the number 1 recruiting class this year or at least top 5. They recruit just fine. They needed a better coach and I think they have one. HAving said that, they learned last night that they are still a long way off. They did go 12-1, and hard to argue they did not play a tough schedule on paper. It just happens to work out that this year Michigan, OU, Socal, Mich St and Stanford are not lighting it up. Traditionally, that would be a heck of a schedule.
I don't know what season you were watching but Stanford was pretty damn good this year.

But yes agree with the rest.

Kelly got them where he wants, they're just a little ahead of schedule.

Although I do believe it's going to be tough to stop that Machine that is Bama in the future.
I also believe Florida was a little ahead of schedule as well.

#LukeForMod

Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Notre Dame is competitive.

They shut down alot of offenses this year.

They just weren't ready for Alabama. At all.

To say they are "archaic" is ridiculous. Kelly is kind of a cheeseball but they are competitive.

Quote:
their entrance standards are too high for great recruits to obtain admission into Notre Dame
I disagree
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

ND looked slower than Alabama. Speed usually wins.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

ND will stay independent until the haves leave the have not and play by their own rules. Then they will have to join or fail.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
I don't know what season you were watching but Stanford was pretty damn good this year.

But yes agree with the rest.

Kelly got them where he wants, they're just a little ahead of schedule.

Although I do believe it's going to be tough to stop that Machine that is Bama in the future.
I also believe Florida was a little ahead of schedule as well.
Stanford got screwed they should have beat notre dame that guy scored
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Stanford got screwed they should have beat notre dame that guy scored
If Hogan is the Starter they win that game without the refs screwing them

#LukeForMod

Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #15
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 997834
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

ND did not have the team speed to compete with Bama.
GamecockInHell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
If Hogan is the Starter they win that game without the refs screwing them
Pitt got screwed even more.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
ND did not have the team speed to compete with Bama.
ND has speed but its all young and they were playing the older guys at the places that were picked on. I agree they need to get bigger and faster across the board but they are definitely on the right track to SEC type team. Their best coach is the DC, Bob Diaco, not Brian Kelly. That dude is going to be big time HC within 5 years.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #18
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Just to play Devil's Advocate, other teams have lost like that to Sec teams in the championship, notably Ohio State and Texas. Being in a conference isn't a factor if you can get money and sell recruits, the entrance standards are probably the big issue. That and they have relatively new coaches.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #19
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Kelly's answer to how do you stop Bama in the 2nd half was classic. He said something like "if they don't come back out". I think he was brutally honest then corrected himself and said something coach like - "tackle better".
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
zambam
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24050000
zambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPitzambam rules the CockPit

Quote:
WTF? They were in the title game, have great recruiting, great tradition, their own TV contract, and a young team with a freshman QB.. What is "archaic" about that? Why in the hell would they join a conference? Do you smoke crack?
zambam is offline   Reply With Quote