CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Ahmad
eightohhthree
jrussjr
markp_vip
ChickenButt
Cockypantherfan
cocky-K
HeadCockFan
FeloniousCock
Mizzou Depth Chart v (1989)
Legitimate, Unbiased (1428)
Antonio Allen vs Als (1428)
Cack's Toast of the (1311)
Brawl at 49ers/Cardi (1236)
why we're in this po (1089)
I guess we don't get (1070)
Pharoh Cooper is a s (781)
Look who's at the bo (741)
open discussion of t (569)
Ex-player sues Southern C
Legitimate, Unbiased Opin
Predict the Season (After
Spurrier Press conference
open discussion of this t
Acockolypse Now.........
official UFC thread. (new
Gameday Sign Ideas
Acock's Wrap Up: Vandy
Pharoh Cooper is a stud

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Oregon 42 91.30%
Florida 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material
Default Who Is Really #2 Round 1: #2 Oregon vs. #9 Florida

Neutral site game, who wins between Oregon and Florida with only one week to prepare
Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
spareparts
1-9-9-9

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Re: Who Is Really #2 Round 1: #2 Oregon vs. #9 Florida

One thing we all learned this postseason: Muschamp has a long way to go.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

CockyCash: 600
upstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
What did we learn during the season after he beat Texas a&m, LSU, USC, and fsu?
upstatescw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
This..bad decisions and sloppy play...would cost them..or not
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
spareparts
1-9-9-9

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatescw View Post
What did we learn during the season after he beat Texas a&m, LSU, USC, and fsu?
That he has what it takes to get his team ready for regular season games against comparable competition, but not what it takes to go for the throat.

This type of coach will not last in the SEC.

Do you think UF fans are pleased with how their season turned out? Would they have traded places with Georgia? You bet your ass.

They want another SEC championship, but they're not gonna get it with that guy.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
DawginCola
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
DawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPitDawginCola rules the CockPit

UF has no offense, Oregon wins.
DawginCola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

The only good defensive team Oregon faced all year was Stanford and they lost.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

upstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
That he has what it takes to get his team ready for regular season games against comparable competition, but not what it takes to go for the throat.

This type of coach will not last in the SEC.

Do you think UF fans are pleased with how their season turned out? Would they have traded places with Georgia? You bet your ass.

They want another SEC championship, but they're not gonna get it with that guy.
So he has what it takes vs top ten competition but he loses one game he should have won and he has a long way to go? I guess it depends on your definition of 'long way to go' because I think the next football season is a long ways off ;). The jury is still out on whether he will last in the SEC, but that Louisville game sure as heck isn't the barometer of his career so far. He isn't the 1st coach that lost a game he shouldn't have and he won't be the last (see: spurrier, Saban, carrol, stoops, Meyer, etc etc).

I am a UF fan and any realistic UF fan is most definitely pleased with how the season turned out, even if the ending was disappointing. I think you may be forgetting that 8-5 or 9-4 was what most people expected from the Gators this season. Most UF fans were pointing to next year or 2014 that we would be ready to contend again. He was a year early.

Would we trade places with Georgia? What kind of question is that? Every year, every team that doesn't win their division probably wishes they could trade places with the team that did.

We will see if he will ever win an SEC Championship, but I feel pretty confident that you will be wrong.

We shall see though. Google 1992 sugar bowl, look at the stark similarities to this years sugar bowl (rank of the teams, record of the teams, final score). Then look at the name of the young head coach of the losing team. He turned out okay.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
spareparts
1-9-9-9

Male

Quote:
(see: spurrier, Saban, carrol, stoops, Meyer, etc etc).
LOL
Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

Quote:
LOL
None of those coaches lost games they shouldn't have? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he will reach their level, but I didn't think it was necessary to list failed coaches that lost games they shouldn't have.

But hey, if you don't want to formulate a response beyond 'lol', I'll just assume you can't refute anything else I wrote :).
Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

So I don't completely hijack the thread, if Florida sticks to what got them through the season, a stingy defense, ball control offense, few mistakes and playing all 4 quarters, they win a tight game against Oregon.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
So I don't completely hijack the thread, if Florida sticks to what got them through the season, a stingy defense, ball control offense, few mistakes and playing all 4 quarters, they win a tight game against Oregon.
lol surely this is a pick from your heart...and not your head
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
spareparts
1-9-9-9

Male

Quote:

But hey, if you don't want to formulate a response beyond 'lol', I'll just assume you can't refute anything else I wrote :).
I don't usually drop a "lol" unless it's warranted, and your putting Muschamp in that company would bust up a room full of Puritans.

I know you're a fan - but come on.

Come the F on.

Your assertion that UF would beat Oregon on a neutral site in a bowl playoff is backed up by 3 others in our small sample here. But your "feeling pretty confident" that Muschamp will win an SEC Championship is bold. Gotta hand it to you there.

But going so far out on a limb to include him in that company is downright frickin hilarious. Your backpedaling here -

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he will reach their level,
was followed by this complete non-sentence:

Quote:
but I didn't think it was necessary to list failed coaches that lost games they shouldn't have.
I don't understand that at all. You "didn't think it was necessary to list failed coaches", so you listed... successful coaches? You cherry-picked that exclusive company to make a distinct point about Muschamp's coaching potential, which was a terrible strategy because it exposed your entire argument as the emotional, fanatical appeal that it is. You DID imply by putting him in that company that he will reach their level. That's exactly what you were doing, and it was conscious sales-pitch to convince the reader that, by losing "a game he shouldn't have", Muschamp is in such esteemed company.

By the way, Muschamp is a poor representative of the university and a poor leader of men, as evidenced by this:

And he will NEVER lift the hardware.

And UF wouldn't stand a chance against Oregon.

And you are wrong on basically every count, despite having an emotional commitment to making such arguments work.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

Quote:
I don't usually drop a "lol" unless it's warranted, and your putting Muschamp in that company would bust up a room full of Puritans.

I know you're a fan - but come on.

Come the F on.

Your assertion that UF would beat Oregon on a neutral site in a bowl playoff is backed up by 3 others in our small sample here. But your "feeling pretty confident" that Muschamp will win an SEC Championship is bold. Gotta hand it to you there.

But going so far out on a limb to include him in that company is downright frickin hilarious. Your backpedaling here -

was followed by this complete non-sentence:

I don't understand that at all. You "didn't think it was necessary to list failed coaches", so you listed... successful coaches? You cherry-picked that exclusive company to make a distinct point about Muschamp's coaching potential, which was a terrible strategy because it exposed your entire argument as the emotional, fanatical appeal that it is. You DID imply by putting him in that company that he will reach their level. That's exactly what you were doing, and it was conscious sales-pitch to convince the reader that, by losing "a game he shouldn't have", Muschamp is in such esteemed company.

By the way, Muschamp is a poor representative of the university and a poor leader of men, as evidenced by this:

And he will NEVER lift the hardware.

And UF wouldn't stand a chance against Oregon.

And you are wrong on basically every count, despite having an emotional commitment to making such arguments work.
I said the jury is still out whether he will last in the SEC. You think that because he lost to Louisville, he doesn't have what it takes and will never win an SEC Championship or even last in the SEC. Of course i used those names to make my point, because it does! lol, it makes the point that losing a game like Muschamp did against Louisville doesn't mean a coach is doomed to mediocrity like you seem to be implying. Spare, context is a very important thing and the context in which I used those names is not the same context you are trying to suggest I did. I pointed out that several successful/elite coaches lost games similar to Muschamp BEFORE (and after) they were considered elite. Based on your way of evaluating a coach's chances of success, you would have stated after the 1992 Sugar bowl that Spurrier had no chance of making it in the SEC or winning a SEC Championship. I'm saying Mushcamp could go either way. I don't see how any logical person could point to the year we just had, the recruiting class we are bringing in, and the progress that has been made and make the prediction you made. You might be the one who is being emotional here.

I'm not back pedaling one iota. I never made any prediction about his coaching future. You did and I was responding to that. I stand by my original statement that the jury is still out on how successful he will be and I disagree with your assertion that the Louisville game says he won't be successful. I did give my gut feeling/opinion, but isn't that the point of a board like this? Just like you made the prediction that he will never hold up any hardware, which is based on your gut.

As far as my Oregon prediction. I said if we played with the same game plan that got us through the regular season. I believe both LSU and Texas a&m are better than Oregon (and USC probably too) and we beat them by sticking to our strengths. Our run game would slow down their offense and like another poster said, when they faced a good defense they lost and i think our D is better. I feel our team would play better and be better prepared against a team like Oregon in a playoff atmosphere where a lot is on the line than we played against Louisville. Feel free to offer something other than UF wouldn't stand a chance.

As far as Darrin Kitchens. What a great kid, he's my favorite player now and I think he will be a leader on next years defense. I'm not sure how that relates to Muschamp though. Singing the alma matter after losses is not and never has been a tradition at UF. That includes the current coach and through all of the previous coaches (including Spurrier). Meyer started the tradition of songing the alma matter after wins and in front of the student section at home games. But you know, take something a player does that is above and beyond the norm and use it to denigrate the rest of his team. If a Gamecock player decides to start running around the stadium high fiving any fan within reach (like Tebow used to do) does that mean the rest of the team and the coaches are scum if they don't? Nope. Now do I think it's a good idea to do it win or lose? Yes. But to tear down someone because they didn't do it when it isn't expected is ridiculous. But hey, go a head and make that emotional argument.

Last edited by upstatescw; 01-10-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
lol surely this is a pick from your heart...and not your head
Lol I'm sure my heart was involved a tad :). Lol but I'm sure none of the 37 (i did see 1 dawg in there) people on a GAMECOCK board that voted for USC over the 0 who voted for OSU weren't using their hearts at all ;). See my above post on why I believe Florida could beat Oregon. I remember coming on this board after you all lost to us and seeing all sorts of doom and gloom posts, y'all ended up doing pretty well to close out the year. Remember, teams are usually not as bad as they look after a big loss and usually not as good as they look after a big win. Florida isn't as bad as they looked in the Sugar bowl.