CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Coulwoodwarlord
eaglegolf018
SAETerrier
JerseyBird
uscgmck
HelleraisingCock
gamecock88
roosterdude21
Latti
Spurrier_Superior_On
Larenz Bryant update (1125)
Hillsborough (584)
Joeckel Transfering (577)
UK's Whitlow to tran (540)
2016 - Greg Little (518)
2015 - Chris Clark (505)
Bamberg High School (349)
USC Tartan Unvieled (341)
Its April 15th and i (316)
response from charte (248)
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
2016 - Brandon McIlwain
Kelcy and Vic questioned
response from charter abo
A'ja Wilson
Larenz Bryant update?
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
14 Dining-Related Taboos
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez

Old 01-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #41
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit
Default Re: Shaw vs. Michigan

Dylan has done much better than I thought he would. Yes I fell victim to the power of the star rating. He is very capable and has settled nicely into his roll. The first game he obviously was nervous and wasn't able to get it together. He seems to be playing with a great deal of confidence now. Connor will miss spring ball and Dylan will get a lot of reps.
This may hurt Connor some. I will be surprised if Connor is not the starter next year at the start of the year. Connor is a player that SOS seems to like and feels comfortable with his management of the game. I think I am beginning to sense some frustration on the part of SOS when Connor doesn't get the ball out and takes off running. For Connor to take the next step in his development, he will need to get more confidence that he can make that play in a tight window with his arm. Sometimes he is too careful and needs a little more gunslinger mentality. It is a shame that he is missing the spring and those further reps.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #42
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Over/under number of Shaw/Thompson threads before the first game.......150

Over
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #43
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
bigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervousbigduff32 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
Well, I guess I'll contribute to this thread on the subject too. I mean apparently this is all that's going to be discussed, so if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Anyway, using stats as the weapon, Thompson was 7/10 for 117 yards. So if one were to look at the yards per completion, Shaw ended up with 12.56 ypc and Thompson had 16.71 ypc.

Let's now look at completion percentage. Shaw ended his day with a good percentage, 69.23%, and Thompson completed 70% of his passes.

If we go a step farther and look at the percentage of TDs thrown by total passes attempted by each and then passes completed, Shaw's TD percentages were 7.69% (total attempts) and 11.1% (completions). Compare that with Thompson's percentages of 20% (total) and 28.57% (completions), and we see Thompson outperformed Shaw here as well.

Now let's make the final adjustment. Since Thompson completed 70% of his passes and 28.57% of those were TDs, we can reasonably deduce that if Thompson had been the starter and the same number of total passing plays had been called (36), he would have ended up with the following numbers: 25/36 for 418 yards and 7 TDs, so I think the choice is clear. Don't we just love statistics?!
Since you're all about these stats.... Care to throw in some rushing stats?? I mean he did lead our team in rushing. That doesn't matter though
Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #44
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduff32 View Post
Since you're all about these stats.... Care to throw in some rushing stats?? I mean he did lead our team in rushing. That doesn't matter though
It took Connor and Dylan to beat Michigan.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #45
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

CockyCash: 1000
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

There's a reason both QB's were given game balls. Some fans need to take that into consideration. We've got 2 capable QB's & that's an advantage, not something to complain about.

To be fair though, 60 something of shaws rushing yds came on one play. Our run game was pretty non existent aside from that play and a few good scrambles. I think what people should realize is that both QB's played well WITHOUT a rushing game to really fall back on. That's impressive considering most of shaw's passing TD's have came off play-action.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #46
TheUSCMike
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5000
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Over/under number of Shaw/Thompson threads before the first game.......150

Over

Over
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #47
Scranton Tiger
Two Deep

Male

Scranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot materialScranton Tiger is USC mascot material

For what it's worth, I would go with Thompson. Primarily for one reason. He doesn't give up on pass plays too quickly. He's not a one read then run it QB. He doesn't panic and take off if a defender comes free. Perfect example is the game winner vs Michigan. Thompson got absolutely lit up on that play. More importantly, he knew it was coming. Still, he stayed in the pocket, stepped into the throw and made a great pass. If Shaw is in on the last play, Carolina doesn't score that TD. JMO
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #48
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Say what you may, but Shaw is the pivot point of all the success of the last two years............end of story.
Attached Images

Coulwoodwarlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #49
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
Say what you may, but Shaw is the pivot point of all the success of the last two years............end of story.

An argument can be made that Miles was the center of the success, but
IMO Shaw was absolutely a major factor in it. ... Take either of these two
players off our roster in 2011 and 2012 and we are not a double digit win
team either year.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #50
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

terrible loss geez

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #51
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Remind me again which QB SOS said has NFL potential. Connor has done a fantastic job for us the last 2 years and deserves a ton of credit and has won games for us, but he is limited with his QB skills. Without our defense, we were probably an 8-9 win team. Our offense ranks somewhere near 80th.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #52
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

These two guys remind me of Sophie's Choice. You young guys won't remember this Meryl Streep movie.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #53
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet girl View Post
These two guys remind me of Sophie's Choice. You young guys won't remember this Meryl Streep movie.
Yeah, but I do. It's also a little like This Means War - both guys are great choices, but Reese Witherspoon must decide between them. Nice problem to have.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #54
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduff32 View Post
Perhaps you missed a couple of key things: 1) the sarcasm, and 2) the post of mine that followed the one you quoted in which I brought up rushing numbers.

But to be completely clear, statistics don't always tell the whole story. For example, Thompson went 7/10 in passing for 117 yards and two TDs, but there are a few things to consider beyond the raw numbers.

First, one of his "incompletions" was an intentional spiking of the ball to stop the clock. Second, one of his completions was a screen pass to Carson that went for negative yardage. And third, if Jones had caught the pass in the corner of the endzone, Thompson would've thrown one less pass. Or if Byrd had caught the next pass that doinked him in the face, it would've resulted in anoher TD for Thompson.

What I'm saying is Thompson's passing stats were really good (although the number of attempts was pretty low), but they could have and SHOULD have been better. For example, even though we don't know this for sure, I remember C2 being upset about the Carson reception, because he believes if that one block would've been made, Carson would've scored on the play, and that would've put Thompson's yardage WAY up there, especially for such a limited number of attempts. So Thompson could've easily had three TD passes (4 in C2's opinion), and considerably more yards.

But my bigger point is statistics can be spun many ways to make a point or defeat someone else's, so the premise of the thread was not good in my opinion. I hope this clears it up for you.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #55
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Remind me again which QB SOS said has NFL potential. Connor has done a fantastic job for us the last 2 years and deserves a ton of credit and has won games for us, but he is limited with his QB skills. Without our defense, we were probably an 8-9 win team. Our offense ranks somewhere near 80th.
NFL potential doesn't mean anything in regards to college success. Ask Pat White, or Colt Brennan, or Graham Harrell, or Casey Clausen, or David Grenne, etc etc etc.

The argument can be made that we're an 8-9 win team this year without Shaw, and we'd struggle to win 7 games last year without Shaw.

I'm looking forward to Spurrier getting back to his roots and be more willing to change quarterbacks at the drop of a hat (or throw of a visor.) Hes finally got not one, but two quality players at QB next year and with the difference in style between them it could be a real hassle for opposing defenses to have to prepare for both
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #56
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
Perhaps you missed a couple of key things: 1) the sarcasm, and 2) the post of mine that followed the one you quoted in which I brought up rushing numbers.

But to be completely clear, statistics don't always tell the whole story. For example, Thompson went 7/10 in passing for 117 yards and two TDs, but there are a few things to consider beyond the raw numbers.

First, one of his "incompletions" was an intentional spiking of the ball to stop the clock. Second, one of his completions was a screen pass to Carson that went for negative yardage. And third, if Jones had caught the pass in the corner of the endzone, Thompson would've thrown one less pass. Or if Byrd had caught the next pass that doinked him in the face, it would've resulted in anoher TD for Thompson.

What I'm saying is Thompson's passing stats were really good (although the number of attempts was pretty low), but they could have and SHOULD have been better. For example, even though we don't know this for sure, I remember C2 being upset about the Carson reception, because he believes if that one block would've been made, Carson would've scored on the play, and that would've put Thompson's yardage WAY up there, especially for such a limited number of attempts. So Thompson could've easily had three TD passes (4 in C2's opinion), and considerably more yards.

But my bigger point is statistics can be spun many ways to make a point or defeat someone else's, so the premise of the thread was not good in my opinion. I hope this clears it up for you.
I get what u r saying DG...and to an extent you are right...stats don't tell it all...but I just don't see how I can "spin" stats to help anybody's argument. Looking at the stat sheet...it looks like Dylan had the better game per time he was in there...and I would say that was the case...it would be hard to argue against that. Of course u have cases where screen passes go for 80 yards where the RB or WR does most of the work...but so what...it's still a completion and its part of football. MOST of the time...the players with the best stats had the better game.

Where I have the problem is...is the people downing Connor for not throwing much and saying he didnt have a good game against Mizzou or Georgia bc he didn't pass enough...but those same people want to say Dylan had a great game against Michigan...but had fewer attempts than Connor. I see where some would say that Connor played more and should have thrown more...he is a DUAL THREAT QB...which means he does both run and throw...so he won't have as many attempts...but still doesn't mean that another QB is better IMO

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #57
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #58
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
An argument can be made that Miles was the center of the success, but
IMO Shaw was absolutely a major factor in it. ... Take either of these two
players off our roster in 2011 and 2012 and we are not a double digit win
team either year.
Definitely! And even though he didnt play much this year...B Wilds deserves a lot of credit for last year too

WIN ANYWAY!!