CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
Badazcock
CockyLifer
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (26967)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2042)
Simple "yes&quo (1437)
Phil Steele just pre (1171)
Eat Crow (738)
Garcia: Change the R (724)
TeMarcus Blanton (688)
We actually didnt lo (628)
Extremely Proud (554)
what I think ab ward (486)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Extremely Proud
We actually didnt lose
Simple "yes" or
End of the first half....
Eat Crow
We would be 7-1 with just
Cannot win the east...
what I think ab ward
I want people to explain

Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly
Default Re: SEC vs. Big Ten, thoughts from up north

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Not really.
He made an upward move.
Bielema's was lateral at best.

Not at the time. LSU was awful in the 90s with the exception of 1 good season under Dinardo. Curley Hallman had something like 5 straight losing seasons at LSU, including a 2 win season when we first entered the SEC.

LSU didn't become LSU until the night they upset Tennessee in the SECCG in 2001
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #22
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

People don't living in the long cold winters anymore. People are moving south, and with them comes more kids, and with more kids comes better talent. The populations in northern regions is all urban. Kids don't play football in the larger cities.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 AM   #23
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

So far this thread has been great.

...but I want to caution a few of you.

Please do not encourage people to move south.

Thank you.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #24
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

St. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
People don't living in the long cold winters anymore. People are moving south, and with them comes more kids, and with more kids comes better talent. The populations in northern regions is all urban. Kids don't play football in the larger cities.
Im certainly not a high school kid wanting to play college ball, but man, oh man, I love living in cold weather! I come alive in the cold, overcast skies of lovely Winter.

When I went home to SC (James Island) for Christmas, I was actually sweating one day and my dog picked up a couple of fleas (damn!). I lived in Columbia, too, for about 10 years and I remember the sweltering heat of summer (which seemed to last until mid-November!). No thanks to that anymore! I remember tailgating at the Brice many times in Oct when it was still really hot outside. Granted, it does get hot up here, but at least it starts cooling down in September.

I told my Dad if I ever leave STL, Im heading to western Canada, Alaska or Iceland!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #25
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Big 10 was down this year b/c the best and one of the best teams in the conference were suspended for violations, simple as that.

ohio state (12-0) went undefeated, but their tats for trade and coverup scandal cost them the season. ped state had a coach raping boys and a coverup scandal that cost them multiple seasons. psu dropped games early, but found a rythem and ended up 8-4.

So some of their best team weren't eligible for rankings/post-season. Next year though, the SEC isn't letting up, the conference is still too deep in talent all over. OSU will make a run for the BCSNC, but that's about it.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #26
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Gamecock View Post
Im certainly not a high school kid wanting to play college ball, but man, oh man, I love living in cold weather! I come alive in the cold, overcast skies of lovely Winter.

When I went home to SC (James Island) for Christmas, I was actually sweating one day and my dog picked up a couple of fleas (damn!). I lived in Columbia, too, for about 10 years and I remember the sweltering heat of summer (which seemed to last until mid-November!). No thanks to that anymore! I remember tailgating at the Brice many times in Oct when it was still really hot outside. Granted, it does get hot up here, but at least it starts cooling down in September.

I told my Dad if I ever leave STL, Im heading to western Canada, Alaska or Iceland!
I like the cold weather too, but most people aren't like us. Most people want to live in warmer climates, that's just a fact. This is why people retire to places like South Carolina, Arizona, Florida, or Georgia and not Wisconsin, Michigan, or Iowa.

Football is practiced and played nearly year round now in the South. This isn't the cae up North. The only months where no football is played in SC is Jan, Feb, Mar, and April.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Big 10 was down this year b/c the best and one of the best teams in the conference were suspended for violations, simple as that.

ohio state (12-0) went undefeated, but their tats for trade and coverup scandal cost them the season. ped state had a coach raping boys and a coverup scandal that cost them multiple seasons. psu dropped games early, but found a rythem and ended up 8-4.

So some of their best team weren't eligible for rankings/post-season. Next year though, the SEC isn't letting up, the conference is still too deep in talent all over. OSU will make a run for the BCSNC, but that's about it.
The Big 10 as been down for many years. Ohio State did go 12-0, but they struggled with some bad teams. Plus their OOC schedule was very easy. OSU was as good as Notre Dame and would've been whipped by Bama too.

Penn State lost to Ohio U. and Virginia. They were not a good team, but beat up on some bad Big 10 teams.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I have a few arguments here

- It's not the cold, really. It's what living in the cold looks like. Salty cars, GRAY skies all winter, miserable feeling that you can't move. Some people just cant handle it. I worked in Indiana and Ohio for months on a training project and it was just miserable feeling all the time. You are immobilized because of the cold.

- Don't kid yourself about the popularity of football in northern cities. Pittsburgh is one example - they are just as insane in that city over HS football as they are in any Texas town. And it's not all urban, most of PA and Ohio are populated rural.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote