CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
ReadR00ster
PageUSC
A. Pilgrim
uscsandstorm85
Gamecocks1137
kingofnerf
Spurticus
taylorssc
MrED
How do you want Aubu (2133)
Auburn/USC point spr (2036)
If the Head Ball Coa (1296)
To ANYONE complainin (998)
Does South Carolina (925)
Mike Davis Stiff Arm (844)
Tennessee Game Time (519)
Rest of the season p (404)
Tennessee kickoff an (401)
Peyton Manning break (320)
Rest of the season predic
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
If the Head Ball Coach re
Does South Carolina still
Incoming Class
Cann tipping plays?
Name a Gamecock
Lorenzo Nunez
Crazy Play
CBS: SOS to Florida?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default How many conference games do we win this year?

Just looking at the schedule, mixed with our lack of quality depth, I think we actually have a chance to surprise some people.

First, I'll just say I'm happy with where this program is.
Already won 10 games...the guys play hard, tough defense and players are already improving under Martin.

With that said...I'm realistic. We have a clear talent issue right now that we won't overcome for at least two seasons...along with depth.

But, looking at the league, there really isn't a lot of quality in it.

That is why I think this team has the chance to win 7 conference games.
All against the West of course.

Bama, Auburn, LSU, Miss. State and Ole Miss really haven't looked all that tough to beat.
We play those schools a combined 7 times...those I think are our best chance to pick up some conference wins.

No question the East is tougher at basketball than the West...Florida, Kentucky and Mizzou will probably be in the tournament...UT still has some talent and size that will give us trouble, and I think UGA is improving.

We may be able to steal a win from Vandy..they are .500 right now, but have lost to some tough teams (Davidson, Villanova, Butler) and have beaten Xavier and Cornell (tourney teams last year).

Things are looking up...and if this team can win 17 games this year, I'd be ecstatic....I still think we top out at 15 wins this season...17 would just be an added cherry on top.

What do you guys think?
Over/Under on 15 wins this season?
How many games do you think we can win in League?
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
jared
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb
Default Re: How many conference games do we win this year?

I was actually looking yesterday and figured we might get 6-7. If we can go 7-11 in SEC play and finish 17-14, that'd be really big. Who knows, maybe we'll surprise a few extra.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
GamecockinBoulder
Recruit

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: 2nd place in 2007 Bowl Pickem 
GamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spursGamecockinBoulder has earned his spurs

If we win 5 I would be satisfied. I think if we can win the first 2 (both winnable) then perhaps we could get to 6.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=186433
Old 01-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Just looking at the schedule, mixed with our lack of quality depth, I think we actually have a chance to surprise some people.

First, I'll just say I'm happy with where this program is.
Already won 10 games...the guys play hard, tough defense and players are already improving under Martin.

With that said...I'm realistic. We have a clear talent issue right now that we won't overcome for at least two seasons...along with depth.

But, looking at the league, there really isn't a lot of quality in it.

That is why I think this team has the chance to win 7 conference games.
All against the West of course.

Bama, Auburn, LSU, Miss. State and Ole Miss really haven't looked all that tough to beat.
We play those schools a combined 7 times...those I think are our best chance to pick up some conference wins.

No question the East is tougher at basketball than the West...Florida, Kentucky and Mizzou will probably be in the tournament...UT still has some talent and size that will give us trouble, and I think UGA is improving.

We may be able to steal a win from Vandy..they are .500 right now, but have lost to some tough teams (Davidson, Villanova, Butler) and have beaten Xavier and Cornell (tourney teams last year).

Things are looking up...and if this team can win 17 games this year, I'd be ecstatic....I still think we top out at 15 wins this season...17 would just be an added cherry on top.

What do you guys think?
Over/Under on 15 wins this season?
How many games do you think we can win in League?
I know what you're saying, but there is no East and West in SEC Basketball any longer.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
I know what you're saying, but there is no East and West in SEC Basketball any longer.
You are correct.
I guess I'll just say the teams in the Western orientation of the conference tend to suck at basketball more than teams on the Atlantic Coast part of the conference.
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
You are correct.
I guess I'll just say the teams in the Western orientation of the conference tend to suck at basketball more than teams on the Atlantic Coast part of the conference.
Yep, and we just lost to the cellar dweller.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
CarolinaCat
Walk On

CockyCash: 300
CarolinaCat has feathers coming inCarolinaCat has feathers coming inCarolinaCat has feathers coming in

6-7 regardless of what most tend to think.
CarolinaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

I hope your correct but I don't share your confidence after MSU
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453

I said 3-4 before MSU now I say 2.

SECgamecock453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #11
Feathers
Walk On

Male

Feathers has hatched from the shell

Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
MDCox
Two Deep

Male

Bowl Contest Winner: Winner of the Bowl Contest - Given for: Winning the Board Bowl Contest 
CockyCash: 1740616
MDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudlyMDCox is crowing loudly

5 or 6

If you type in all caps I am not reading your post. Simple as that.
MDCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit

My 2 is looking pretty generous right now.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #14
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

If you said more than four you're just fooling yourself. Frank needs to get his talent in, and then we'll talk. This is simply a lost season--no shame in that.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Yea...my number just went down.
Just don't have the depth or quality players to do it this year.
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #16
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

The best chances at more wins for us, IMO (as of midnight Jan. 18th):

Jan. 19th Vanderbilt (0-3, 6-9)
Feb. 2nd UGA (0-3, 6-10)
Feb. 10th, UT (0-3, 8-7)
Feb. 14th, LSU (0-3, 9-5)
Feb. 23rd, UGA (0-3, 6-10)
Mar. 6th, MSU (2-1, 7-8)
Mar. 9th, Vanderbilt (0-3, 6-9)

That's 7 games....the ones bolded are home games in CLA. I know teams can change as the season progresses and younger players are given chances to play more, but right now all of these teams are below us in the conference standings, and MSU is in the next spot above us and we lost to them by 2 points in their house. I doubt we'd go 7-0 against these teams: at best I'd be happy if we go 4-3 against them. We could very easily end up doing worse....

All the other SEC opponents I'm afraid we'll not only lose to them, but we may very well lose in ugly fashion. We could have a head-scratching, unforeseen upset win, but I wouldn't bet on it....

If we go 4-3 versus those 7 teams, we'd go 4-11 the rest of the way, and 5-13 in the SEC and 15-16 overall. I would be VERY happy with that.....

Best thing for us is, we play most of the top teams in the SEC - UF, Ole Miss, UK, Arkansas, and TAMU - only once this year. The bad thing, we play all those games on their floors......
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

I was confident about beating Vandy... before they dropped 14+ 3-pointers on Ole Miss. They only scored 33 points @ Arkansas though.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

If this team stays healthy and continues to improve as they have from the start of the season, we will be a dangerous team to play around tourney time.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote