CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Spurrier_Superior_On
18IsTheMan
b381l
Order 66
catdaddy66
Clowneygotcha
gadeneer1986
cockyguitar
NinjaSven
Looking ahead to UGA (3374)
My Observations Abou (2886)
Gurley lined up to t (1568)
Who else wants to se (1451)
Kelcy and Victor Ham (1102)
How far do we fall.. (1096)
Shaq Roland (1055)
I Am Ashamed (1040)
Shon Carson at KR (864)
Time to quit crying. (651)
Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.
My Observations About USC
Who else wants to see Con
How far do we fall...
Signee James Thompson arr
Confused fan here. Why i
Looking ahead to UGA
Should be interesting in
I Am Ashamed
Seems like a lot of troll

Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #61
Tailfeathers
Starter

CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material
Default Re: Bonds & Clemens Not Voted into MLB HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I really didnt mean to offend you earlier. Do you believe in first ballot hof. Or is someone either hof or they arent? I think they are or they arent i hate when people say they will vote for someone the second time around but not the first. Also you still have not answered me if yount should be in or not.

I really have no opinion on Yount. If I remember right he was great defensively so that may be why he's in. Just looking at his offensive numbers he's a stretch. Dawson being in is a travesty.

I like the selection process. i think it gives a player a fair look and of course there's always going to be that marginal player that is argued over.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #62
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

I think chipper is hof but i think people are gonna be surprised by how many people thinl he isnt. Also i thonk if griffey hadnt played on that concrete field they called the kingdome he could be argued for GOAT. He was a machine on offense and defense. What did he end up with 650hr
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #63
Tailfeathers
Starter

Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I think chipper is hof but i think people are gonna be surprised by how many people thinl he isnt. Also i thonk if griffey hadnt played on that concrete field they called the kingdome he could be argued for GOAT. He was a machine on offense and defense. What did he end up with 650hr
Chipper's OBP was over .400 and hit over .300 in 10K plus PA's. Over 1500 runs and RBI. There's no argument IMO.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #64
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

It's like this...............the guys who are worthy have got to wait. Everybody's ballot is screwed up right now.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #65
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
Chipper? Chipper is first ballot. While I think his base running and defense left a lot to be desired he was a great hitter.
I agree. The point was in response to the initial statement that it was a tainted era, every should be suspect if even one is. If everyone in the steroid era is suspect that includes Jr Griffey and Chipper. But you'll never hear someone bring up that they played in the steroid era as it is brought up with regards to Piazza and others who no credible claims have been made against.

Last edited by USCBatgirl21; 01-10-2013 at 01:00 PM.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #66
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

If Maddux isn't voted in 1st ballot there are some serious problems.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #67
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

The Hall just lost their chance to put Murphy in! WTF! One of the best and classiest ever.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #68
cock13
An illusion, Michael

Male

CockyCash: 51250
cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material

Shitty players used PEDs too. Lots and lots of shitty players used steroids. I think you look at who the best players of the era were, no matter what, because I guarantee you Bonds was hitting HRs off of pitchers who were juicing too. I mean, are we going to revoke people's acceptance into the HOF because they (EVERYONE) was using amphetamines so they could make it through long seasons? Should we not allow anyone who played in segregated leagues in either? People wouldn't have those numbers if they had to go against the 1930's equivalent of Bob Gibson...

My point is every era is "tainted", and this whole keeping people out because of suspicion of PED use (which wasn't even against the rules formally, was it? [i know it was illegal, but i don't think it was against the rules]), is basically nothing more than a bunch of swarmy baseball writers (I BLAME BOB COSTAS AND MIKE LUPICA) sniffing their farts and weeping for days of old where baseball was more popular
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #69
Tailfeathers
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cock13 View Post
Shitty players used PEDs too. Lots and lots of shitty players used steroids. I think you look at who the best players of the era were, no matter what, because I guarantee you Bonds was hitting HRs off of pitchers who were juicing too. I mean, are we going to revoke people's acceptance into the HOF because they (EVERYONE) was using amphetamines so they could make it through long seasons? Should we not allow anyone who played in segregated leagues in either? People wouldn't have those numbers if they had to go against the 1930's equivalent of Bob Gibson...

My point is every era is "tainted", and this whole keeping people out because of suspicion of PED use (which wasn't even against the rules formally, was it? [i know it was illegal, but i don't think it was against the rules]), is basically nothing more than a bunch of swarmy baseball writers (I BLAME BOB COSTAS AND MIKE LUPICA) sniffing their farts and weeping for days of old where baseball was more popular
I would argue taking amphetamines didn't change the game. Steroids did. Would anyone say caffeine or alcohol changed the game? Steroids took Bonds from avg 27 hrs per season to well over 40. His walk totals increased so drastically it's comical. Even desegregation didn't change the game. PED's did.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #70
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 560000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Bonds didn't juice...it was just a good diet and exercise regime

Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #71
cock13
An illusion, Michael

Male

cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I would argue taking amphetamines didn't change the game. Steroids did. Would anyone say caffeine or alcohol changed the game? Steroids took Bonds from avg 27 hrs per season to well over 40. His walk totals increased so drastically it's comical. Even desegregation didn't change the game. PED's did.
Amphetamines are a performance enhancing drug, guys weren't taking uppers in the dugouts for recreation. Also, desegregation absolutely changed the game.

However, Barry Bonds likely took steroids. When he was on steroids, he hit more home runs. These weren't super-secret, Barry-only steroids. He was hitting HRs off of pitchers who were also on steroids. "When everyone has herpes, it's like noone has herpes." Even when everyone was juicing, a few people flat-out dominated. Yes you had some Brady Andersons, but nobody is saying put him in the HoF, Bonds on the other hand kicked those other juicers' asses. It may have "changed the game", but everyone was on the same level, and these people still dominated. Treat it as a separate era if you want, but you can't just ignore the fact this happened and these people dominated.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #72
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

I think a lot of the problem people have with Barry is his attitude that because he is Barry Bonds, he shouldn't be questioned in the first place. NEVER in my life have I met a more conceited individual.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #73
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Barry and the Giants deserved one another.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #74
cock13
An illusion, Michael

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
I think a lot of the problem people have with Barry is his attitude that because he is Barry Bonds, he shouldn't be questioned in the first place. NEVER in my life have I met a more conceited individual.
I think that's another horrible reason. It's horrible baseball writers (AGAIN I BLAME COSTAS AND LUPICA) who are sad because this athlete wasn't nice to them, and therefore he doesn't deserve the HoF because he didn't give them good quotes, blew them off, and wasn't Peyton Manning. The fact Barry Bonds was a jackass doesn't mean he wasn't the best baseball player *arguably* of his generation. These old windbags have too high of an opinion of themselves, which is hilarious when they rant against self-centered athletes.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #75
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyle41386 View Post
Barry and the Giants deserved one another.
Ain't that the damn truth!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #76
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Barry wasn't just a jackass to writers. He was a total jackass to his teammates and fellow players.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #77
4Ever2Thee
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2940
4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit

I hope they never get in, I want Pete rose in though
4Ever2Thee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #78
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Shoeless Joe needs to be in before ANYONE else of questionable esteem gets in.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #79
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
amphetamines didn't change the game? Amphetamines cause increased alertness, decreased muscle fatigue, increased reaction time, cognitive function, increased endurance or at least ability to play when normally couldn't. They may not be performance enhancing but they are definitely performance altering. If you have players who are able to keep playing because the are hopped up on greenies versus someone who cant because they are clean that definitely effects the integrity of the game. Amphetamines have been illegal in this country for something like 25 years longer than anabolic steroids anyone using them should have their character question which is part of the voting process. I have even seen alcohol argued as performance enhancing for an alcoholic.
If you have ever been around a function alcoholic you will understand it. Some of them just need that little nip to keep from shaking. I will say though that isn't a big enough portion of the players to really be a concern but for a specific player it is possible.
Bonds was definitely juicing. Adults heads don't change size like that. Although it is arguable that he was HOF caliber before the steroids. Desegregation didn't change the game? I don't even know what to say about that.

My biggest problem with the HOF is the voting process. Petulant writers use it as a way to chide players who didn't get along with them. Either a player is a HOF player or not. I have a problem with guys saying I will vote for him but not his first year on the ballot he has to wait. The guy already waited 5 years get over yourself. The HOF is a museum. The whole steroid era should be represented. Just tell the story. Bonds was the best of the best. Dirty versus dirty. Even though I think Bonds and those guys should be in I can even get behind writers not voting for some people because they thing they were dirty but for writers just to send in a blank ballot to prove a point, those writers should have their votes stripped. One dude they were talking on the radio about has been voting for Jack Morris for 7 years. This year he didn't vote for him because "I wasn't feeling it". WTF is that you felt Jack Morris was HOF last year but not this year. Come On Man did he get worse last year or something.

Last edited by ccured; 01-10-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: sorry for length
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #80
uscfwbfan
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1410
uscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spursuscfwbfan has earned his spurs

Very sad that Murph didn't make it. Class guy all the way!