CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
Master Bedroom
75CarolinaFan
SwampFox
sanford
TAFC 5 1981
CockyCody
RGHoskins
Gamecocks1137
Spurrier: Davis May (6792)
Devonte Holloman Ret (2234)
First "Carolina (1831)
an apology (1229)
Article on Shaw & (938)
JD & DJ Getting (932)
Aggie looking forwar (897)
Cockaboose Owners (890)
I have not bought in (676)
I'm thinking we're g (656)
New Sign at Williams Bric
Connor Shaw Browns
First "Carolina Call
Your SEC Standings Predic
and the #1 2014 acc must
I have not bought into ou
Devonte Holloman Retiring
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
SEC East QB's Ranked
Spurrier: Davis May Not B

Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
spursc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
spursc has developed his gaff and talonsspursc has developed his gaff and talonsspursc has developed his gaff and talonsspursc has developed his gaff and talonsspursc has developed his gaff and talonsspursc has developed his gaff and talonsspursc has developed his gaff and talonsspursc has developed his gaff and talonsspursc has developed his gaff and talonsspursc has developed his gaff and talonsspursc has developed his gaff and talons
Default SEC Family

The chant means everything. “S-E-C, S-E-C, S-E-C! ”To understand that phrase, you have understand the SEC. You have to understand this region of the country; the conference’s storied history and most importantly the pride of its fan base. The bond that SEC fans share with not only their teams, but their league, is unique to all of college football. Nowhere in the nation is the camaraderie any stronger. The SEC is a brotherhood! It is because SEC football is more than football. It is a way of life.Football, family and tradition. That’s definitely worth chanting about.

S-E-C indeed.
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEW...-is-first.aspx
spursc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
MBGCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1110145
MBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: SEC Family

Indeed.
MBGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Sax1031
Blue Chip

Male

Sax1031 has feathers coming inSax1031 has feathers coming in

you have to be from the South to understand
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
CockyCyclone
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 16788014
CockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudlyCockyCyclone is crowing loudly

All the Alabama fans I know aren't like that at all and don't want other teams winning championships because they are pissed they weren't there winning it themselves.

Hopefully Carolina gets to that point.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyCyclone View Post
All the Alabama fans I know aren't like that at all and don't want other teams winning championships because they are pissed they weren't there winning it themselves.

I went to Alabama, and all the Alabama people I ever met and/or lived around pulled for SEC teams in bowls or whatever.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGCock View Post
Indeed.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Yea my good friend is an Alabama fan and graduate, still cheers on Usc when they aren't playing.

I see it as the same situation that fighter's are in that are from the same training camp/ weight class. You pull for your gym mates in their fights as long as it's not detrimental to your own success but when/if you have to end up fighting each other you look out for your self only. You want to train and be associated with the best in the business (coaches, Partners, teams) it brings more money to your training camp better equipment atmosphere and more recognition.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:

They chant SEC just like the rest of us when they're beating some out of conference chump's ass. I think it might come from the fact that lots of the SEC schools are in states with a school in another "bcs conference" and there used to be a lot of (insane) arguments about which regional conference was better in football.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

To want everyone else in your conference to be bad programs means your program turns into the ACC. It use to be FSU and the rest of the clowns. It got to the point where lack of competition and then Diddy Bowden's age caught up with them, too, for several years and there were no good teams from the ACC.

With the SEC pulling for everyone to be good, it attracts better players because the competition os so tough and it forces your school and coaches to do more and work harder to improve and compete.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

We could all hope that other SEC teams lose but that would be about as exciting as pulling for Clemson to beat Carolina. It is futile.

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

All I can say is the better the conference, the better we are if we win the SEC.
Spurrier was right...it is harder to win the SEC than it is to win a National title.

Remember all the support we had in baseball when we won 2 in a row.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
толстый Cock
Recruit

Male

толстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spurs

Quote:

Well I know bama shares the same conference pride and chant SEC when they win big games against non conference teams just like they did near the end of the NC game the other night.
толстый Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
SCMunnerlyn1
Former Florence Resident

Male

CockyCash: 875
SCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his comb

I will never.EVER. consider the SEC a family. Will never root for the likes of Bama,LSU,Auburn,UGA,or Florida for anything..EVER. This whole concept of this conference being a family is just dumb. I cannot tell you how many people on facebook I wanted to slap just for saying go SEC.

The past is history,tomorrow is a mystery,but today is a gift.. that is why we call it the present
SCMunnerlyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
толстый Cock
Recruit

Male

толстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMunnerlyn1 View Post
I will never.EVER. consider the SEC a family. Will never root for the likes of Bama,LSU,Auburn,UGA,or Florida for anything..EVER. This whole concept of this conference being a family is just dumb. I cannot tell you how many people on facebook I wanted to slap just for saying go SEC.
толстый Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #15
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

I just posted this in another thread but this it is more relevant here. Had a huge discussion with other college football fans about how SEC fans cheer for each other and take satisfaction in winning bowl games and championships. They just don't get it.

Here's my take on why.

For one, it's become the rest of college football vs the SEC. I think that has helped unite SEC fans to cheer for one another because everyone else hates us. So we pull for other teams to win in bowl games just to say "screw you! we are still the best!"

Secondly, the SEC has equal revenue sharing. The more successful our teams are, the more money we all get. That doesn't fly in the Big 12 where everything runs through Texas and Oklahoma. Of course, they don't pull for them because there is animosity between the schools.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Big 12 now has equal revenue sharing.
This happened after Dan Beebe left.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Quote:
Originally Posted by толстый Cock View Post
Well I know bama shares the same conference pride and chant SEC when they win big games against non conference teams just like they did near the end of the NC game the other night.
It's different to chant SEC after you win than it is to chant SEC after another team from the conference wins.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMunnerlyn1 View Post
The SEC gave us an invitation to join the best conference in America after going it alone for 20 years and that after being treated like crap by the entire ACC during our time there. There is a reason we still hate the ACC after 40 years. They did nothing to deserve our respect.

The SEC did not have to take us, and quite frankly, we did not have a hell of a lot to offer with our very modest sporting history. What we did have was a loyal, supportive fan base. We were damned lucky to get in as FSU turned them down (thanks, Diddy Bowden).

Further more, they have treated us fairly and welcomed us in from day one, the very things the ACC refused to do and just some of the reasons we left.

Due to throwing us a lifeline and all that has come from it, money, prestige, better media coverage than ever, improved facilities to compete, better interest from recruits, more exciting games. I will always be thankful and loyal to every faction of the SEC. Without them, we would eventually have gone back to the ACC, still hated, still treated like third class citizens, and our sports programs would still be mediocre.

We are in our Golden Era of Sports at USC, a time where generations went without ever knowing because we were not in the conference.

Anyone who roots against fellow members is cutting their own throat and ungrateful for those schools who asked us only to be good members and to become competitive to help grow the conference.

Heck, yeah, I'll cheer for any SEC school OOC and if their win in conference helps us. Some fan bases I do not like, nor some coaches. That is part of human nature, but to want all of them to flounder eventually would make the whole conference a laughing stock and our wins inside it boring and hollow. Who wants to be the tallest midget? Not Carolina. Rather be the tallest giant.

Last edited by brat; 01-10-2013 at 05:16 PM.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

I don't want to wish good fortune on ANY other school, where that good fortune would directly work against my own school...

I will cheer on the SEC when my school wins a game of importance that represents the conference well. When another SEC school wins, I will say "congrats", but move on....no chanting of "SEC SEC SEC" will be heard from me...

I will defend the SEC as a conference whenever others in other conferences try to point to it as being weaker than other conferences, or their own conference - but ONLY where it DIRECTLY relates to South Carolina, or where it directly relates to contradicting their own point of debate. And yes, I'm looking squarely at YOU, Clemson fanbase. South Carolina doesn't have the toughest schedule in the country on an annual basis, and sometimes Clemson might even play a respectable schedule of their own (2011 was a pretty decent one relatively speaking for them, but it looked much tougher before VT turned out to be a farce).

But it's VERY tough to argue against playing against national champions in the years that they win their titles on a regular basis: since 2003, USC have played 6 of the past 10 BCS National Champions in the years they won them. Four of those games were on their home fields. We play opponents that are regularly ranked #1, #2, and #3 nationally on an annual basis. I can't remember the last time Clemson played a #1-ranked opponent, much less beat one. Perhaps FSU back in the 90s?

As an example: CU fans that put down our 2010 SEC East title as being in a down SEC-East (their own ACC division was weaker in '09 and '11). UGA fans did the same, but played against a lower SEC-East in 2011 (UF and UT had worse records than in '10, and they LOST to USC in '11 while we BEAT UGA in '10). Occasions like that, I'll kinda-sorta beat the SEC drum where I'm defending South Carolina. In all of those cases, USC is directly relevant to the discussion...

But I simply do not understand beating my chest over a Bama, LSU, or UF winning a NT over someone else. It reminds me too much of past years and USC fans having to cheer on other teams beating Clemson because we couldn't do it. That's a pitiful position to have to take, in my opinion. I want to be happy enough for what WE do in the SEC, and then I'll cheer for that...
Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #20
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material
Thumbs up Re: SEC Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I just posted this in another thread but this it is more relevant here. Had a huge discussion with other college football fans about how SEC fans cheer for each other and take satisfaction in winning bowl games and championships. They just don't get it.

Here's my take on why.

For one, it's become the rest of college football vs the SEC. I think that has helped unite SEC fans to cheer for one another because everyone else hates us. So we pull for other teams to win in bowl games just to say "screw you! we are still the best!"

Secondly, the SEC has equal revenue sharing. The more successful our teams are, the more money we all get. That doesn't fly in the Big 12 where everything runs through Texas and Oklahoma. Of course, they don't pull for them because there is animosity between the schools.
I enjoyed hearing the SEC chant in the Ole Miss bowl game. They have waited awhile, but are on the upswing. I know it felt good to say that chant.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote