CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
TAFC 5 1981
gamecockgal
CoverTwo
B-G
El Cid Ranger
Gamecockfanatic4
Captain9Dragons
75CarolinaFan
robgusc76
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
SOS Dominating SEC M (707)
Jaguars Justin Black (680)
Kansas to invest $75 (620)
When does fall pract (620)
Spurrier vs Saban (489)
An Air Algerie Fligh (227)
Songs that Didn't ma (217)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (181)
Anyone Switching to (162)
2015 - Davante Davis
Minda Kacinas Q&A - G
Bonefish Grill
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
Spurrier vs Saban
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Kansas to invest $75 mill
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Places to eat in Conway?
Frank Caliendo + Morgan F

Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #21
GamecockSkip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Race for the Chase: Race for the Chase - Given for: 2007 Winner Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: 2007 winner Nascar Challenge: Nascar Challenge Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar 1st Segment 
CockyCash: 800
GamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot material
Default Re: SEC Family

The folks that say they won't support other SEC schools should consider one thing. The more games our fellow SEC members win, the better our strength of schedule which definantly has an impact on our rankings and which bowl game we go to. I pull for all of the SEC schools (well, maybe with the exception of UGA due to their obnoxious fans) when we aren't playing them because I know it helps us when we beat them.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #22
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMunnerlyn1 View Post
I will never.EVER. consider the SEC a family. Will never root for the likes of Bama,LSU,Auburn,UGA,or Florida for anything..EVER. This whole concept of this conference being a family is just dumb. I cannot tell you how many people on facebook I wanted to slap just for saying go SEC.
I guess you must hate USC then. I hope you realize without being in the SEC we would have never gotten Holtz much less the HBC. Do you love all facilities upgrades like the Colonial Life Center, the WB upgrades, the new baseball stadium, the new softball field, the new tennis courts, the new admin buildings, the best recruits, the best coaches, etc. Without the SEC revenue sharing that comes from those mentioned teams and the rest of the conference from winning bowl games, getting to bowl games etc. I am glad we don't have this attitude at Carolina or we would be stuck with the out of date crappy facilities that attracts the best players and coaches. I am sick and tired of Carolina fans who don't understand this the SEC is why we have emerged as the powerhouse we have become. Get with the program. I may not like some of those other teams during the season but in OOC and bowl games I am an unapologetic SEC fan. The better our competition is the better we have become.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #23
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

So, I guess some people did not care for the support we have received from fellow SEC schools the last three years in Omaha?

The pride in the SEC is not the same thing as settling for the winner as a substitute for your own failing to win. It is the satisfaction that you play against the best, in a conference with great tradition, that nothing is handed to you, but you have to work like heck to have a chance to win. Remember how great it was to end Bama's 19 game winning streak, the defending champs, rated #1? Look how often we have to play top 10 teams on our schedule. Wanting them to fail takes that away from us and it hurts our recruiting, badly.

It is far better, if we can't win it, to have a fellow member win than an outsider and that is what other conferences, other regions are, outsiders.

Do you not read the constant bile thrown at the SEC, the region, the Southern culture, its people? Read the message boards across the nation. This hatred goes beyond sports, but they will never admit it. That alone should make anyone happy the titles stay in the SEC.

For ages, some Big Ten teams and ND were propped up as the best in the nation and they seldom did anything to merit that media frenzy that went along with it. Now that the media attention and winning has fully shifted to the South, the bias against the conference and this area of the country is almost reached the point of hysteria.

As the SEC goes, so goes USC, like it or not.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
SCMunnerlyn1
Former Florence Resident

Male

CockyCash: 875
SCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One;3633433[B
]I guess you must hate USC then[/b]. I hope you realize without being in the SEC we would have never gotten Holtz much less the HBC. Do you love all facilities upgrades like the Colonial Life Center, the WB upgrades, the new baseball stadium, the new softball field, the new tennis courts, the new admin buildings, the best recruits, the best coaches, etc. Without the SEC revenue sharing that comes from those mentioned teams and the rest of the conference from winning bowl games, getting to bowl games etc. I am glad we don't have this attitude at Carolina or we would be stuck with the out of date crappy facilities that attracts the best players and coaches. I am sick and tired of Carolina fans who don't understand this the SEC is why we have emerged as the powerhouse we have become. Get with the program. I may not like some of those other teams during the season but in OOC and bowl games I am an unapologetic SEC fan. The better our competition is the better we have become.
Lol your reasoning skills are awesome sauce. I cheer for my school and the rest mean nothing imo. I am not required to like anything else. I understand how the SEC works and am aware its the best conference in the country. I just will not engage in the circle jerk with the rest of the bandwagon football fans that cheer for a conference rather than a team. It's dumb.

The past is history,tomorrow is a mystery,but today is a gift.. that is why we call it the present
SCMunnerlyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

^I guess we better dismantle the Beast Board since SEC revenue sharing helped build it, but being in the SEC was good for that. This attitude we might as well leave the SEC and go independent again since conferences don't mean a hill of beans. If you are an SEC fan how can you be a bandwagon fan of the schools, we don't wear other schools colors or saying we are diehard Bama or whatever fans. We want the conference to own the rest of the country.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #26
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

i gotta be honest....since we became players in the East i really only pull for West teams to do well

if UGA wouldve been embarrassed like UF was in their bowl i would have loved it
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #27
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

^I actually want to beat UGA and UF when they are good so no one says we won because the rest of the East of garbage. To be the best you got to beat the best, having crap games in the East does nothing to prepare for the Bamas and aTms of the world.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #28
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
^I actually want to beat UGA and UF when they are good so no one says we won because the rest of the East of garbage. To be the best you got to beat the best, having crap games in the East does nothing to prepare for the Bamas and aTms of the world.
UGA and UF are pretty much always gonna be solid but a big time bowl win hurts us
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #29
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
The SEC gave us an invitation to join the best conference in America after going it alone for 20 years and that after being treated like crap by the entire ACC during our time there. There is a reason we still hate the ACC after 40 years. They did nothing to deserve our respect.

The SEC did not have to take us, and quite frankly, we did not have a hell of a lot to offer with our very modest sporting history. What we did have was a loyal, supportive fan base. We were damned lucky to get in as FSU turned them down (thanks, Diddy Bowden).

Further more, they have treated us fairly and welcomed us in from day one, the very things the ACC refused to do and just some of the reasons we left.

Due to throwing us a lifeline and all that has come from it, money, prestige, better media coverage than ever, improved facilities to compete, better interest from recruits, more exciting games. I will always be thankful and loyal to every faction of the SEC. Without them, we would eventually have gone back to the ACC, still hated, still treated like third class citizens, and our sports programs would still be mediocre.

We are in our Golden Era of Sports at USC, a time where generations went without ever knowing because we were not in the conference.

Anyone who roots against fellow members is cutting their own throat and ungrateful for those schools who asked us only to be good members and to become competitive to help grow the conference.

Heck, yeah, I'll cheer for any SEC school OOC and if their win in conference helps us. Some fan bases I do not like, nor some coaches. That is part of human nature, but to want all of them to flounder eventually would make the whole conference a laughing stock and our wins inside it boring and hollow. Who wants to be the tallest midget? Not Carolina. Rather be the tallest giant.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #30
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMunnerlyn1 View Post
It's dumb.
No, what's dumb is your rationale for hating something. We're not impressed.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #31
SECgamecock453
Glory Glory Man United

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453

IMO the whole SE part of the SEC went out the door when we added Missouri. I like them and all but seriously. At least it's not as much of a stretch as what some of these other conferences are doing.

SECgamecock453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #32
SCMunnerlyn1
Former Florence Resident

Male

CockyCash: 875
SCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
No, what's dumb is your rationale for hating something. We're not impressed.
I missed the part where I go out of my way to try and impress people with my opinion?

The past is history,tomorrow is a mystery,but today is a gift.. that is why we call it the present
SCMunnerlyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #33
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Another article from Sept 2011. Very good.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-c-s-e-c-s-e-c
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #34
usc51
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPit

I hate hearing our fans chant "SEC" as much as I hate hearing Clemson fans cheering to Tiger Rag.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #35
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 500
BlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervous

I feel sorry for those of you who cannot appreciate what the rest of the SEC has done for us.

I'm sure none of you read the hundreds of letters to the editor in the North and South Carolina newspapers saying the SEC should have taken Clemson and they were stupid to take us.

I'm sure none of you remember the tremendous amount of support we got from the SEC and from other member schools who publicly came out in praise of South Carolina.

I'm sure none of you remember how our football program was trashed and how people were embarrassed we'd be playing in the same league with schools like Alabama.

Sad.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #36
F4rpoole
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 9885
F4rpoole has earned his spursF4rpoole has earned his spursF4rpoole has earned his spursF4rpoole has earned his spursF4rpoole has earned his spursF4rpoole has earned his spurs

SEC...SEC...SEC
Go COCKS!!!
F4rpoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #37
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Don't forget all the times the Sec has screwed us too. Scheduling the last two years, or how about Cam Newton playing in the sec championship when his family admitted to violating Sec bylaws? The punishment for that should have been ineligibility.

Look, I understand that a rising tide lifts all boats, but uga or fla winning doesn't help us anymore. We've passed that threshold. If someone wants to complain about us winning the east they can go ead for all I care, just consider the source of those complaints. Teams from the west winning isn't all that bad, but don't forget that the sec has gone out of its way to screw us a few times.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #38
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
The SEC gave us an invitation to join the best conference in America after going it alone for 20 years and that after being treated like crap by the entire ACC during our time there. There is a reason we still hate the ACC after 40 years. They did nothing to deserve our respect.

The SEC did not have to take us, and quite frankly, we did not have a hell of a lot to offer with our very modest sporting history. What we did have was a loyal, supportive fan base. We were damned lucky to get in as FSU turned them down (thanks, Diddy Bowden).

Further more, they have treated us fairly and welcomed us in from day one, the very things the ACC refused to do and just some of the reasons we left.

Due to throwing us a lifeline and all that has come from it, money, prestige, better media coverage than ever, improved facilities to compete, better interest from recruits, more exciting games. I will always be thankful and loyal to every faction of the SEC. Without them, we would eventually have gone back to the ACC, still hated, still treated like third class citizens, and our sports programs would still be mediocre.

We are in our Golden Era of Sports at USC, a time where generations went without ever knowing because we were not in the conference.

Anyone who roots against fellow members is cutting their own throat and ungrateful for those schools who asked us only to be good members and to become competitive to help grow the conference.

Heck, yeah, I'll cheer for any SEC school OOC and if their win in conference helps us. Some fan bases I do not like, nor some coaches. That is part of human nature, but to want all of them to flounder eventually would make the whole conference a laughing stock and our wins inside it boring and hollow. Who wants to be the tallest midget? Not Carolina. Rather be the tallest giant.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #39
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Don't forget all the times the Sec has screwed us too. Scheduling the last two years.
Scheduling? I don't think anyone has a crystal ball and can look into the future and predict who is going to be great and who is going to suck and schedule accordingly.

This argument just doesn't cut it with me. So many other SEC teams have tough schedules as well. Some are worse.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:03 AM   #40
COCKYWOOD
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

Go to Omaha and see how the SEC is ONE !
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote