CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
StormOfTalons
Acockolypse Now
spareparts
b381l
elcid99
sporkgod50
auslander
M.C.
75CarolinaFan
An Aggies View of th (1100)
My predictions for 2 (1022)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (739)
Tennessee (737)
Elcid99 (707)
Question on Student (494)
Erin Murray's brothe (461)
Clowney in Practice (433)
SEC Recruiting Advan (413)
Camp scheduled relea (351)
Mike Davis' HS Coach on H
Question on Student Secti
FIFA 14 on PS3
Tennessee
Elcid99
An Aggies View of the Mat
SEC Recruiting Advantage
Rokevious Watkins cut fro
My predictions for 2014
2015 Commitment - Mon Den

Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #61
Justhatguy
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Justhatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: The Brendan Nosovitch & Connor Mitch Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddot8481 View Post
It isn't the off season until you have a discussion about the backups backup....

As it goes, each will get their shot. Both have all of the measurables, and the situation reminds me of Arkansas' logjam at QB the last few years with Jones, Dick, Mustain, Mallet, Wilson, and now possibly Brandon Mitchell. Thankfully, our coaches have kept the trenches the focus to avoid a similar outcome.
The problem is that we dont have the reputation yet to push this logjam through to the NFL like Arkansas or other schools like So Cal (Leinart only having one year as a starter or Cassell being drafted even though he never started a game). We'll have to look at our backup QBs' motivations to know if they really want to stay in our program and sit behind a starter for a year or two when they know that they could go to another school and start.

With that said, it's great to have all this talent and competition at the leadership position. I see great things happening for us.
Justhatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #62
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

yeah, it amazes me how many people are swayed by the latest press clippings. totally writing nos off, because mitch is coming in with so much hoopla is ridiculous. if nos would have done the off-season camp circuits, not only would he have been much higher rated, he might not have been a gamecock either. a lot of teams missed on him, because he was not actively running the camps.
i think the biggest reason our program has raised up to where it is now, is the ability of our coaching staff to evaluate talent, and not rely on the recruiting sites rankings.
nos is going to be a monster with just a little more attention given to him, and reps with the first and second squads. if he can do what he has with the scout team, imagine how well he performs with the talent of the two deep guys around him. i love all of our qb's, and believe each one of them is talented enough to run our offense. i furthermore would feel comfortable with any one of them running our offense, if sos deems them the starter. and while i agree with the notion that mitch will redshirt this season, if for no other reasons, than to learn this offense inside out, and the depth in front of him, it would not surprise me at all if nos battles thompson for the number two spot and wins. no matter what, we should have a very talented offense for years to come. the influx of talented ol will help that along the way.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #63
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Raid View Post
I had the pleasure of watching Nos for four years of high school ball. I was there when he won a state title and also when he threw for 500 yards and 8 TD's in a state playoff game. That game also included him throwing a 60 yard rope on a roll out to his right that resulted in an 80 yard TD (could never understand the lack of arm strength tag that he got). It always seemed that he was cool under pressure and carried a team with a horrible defense to the final four his senior year. It's going to be a good spring for the Gamecocks watching these two compete.
It's cool that you got to see him play so much at that level. There's one particular highlight reel on Nosovitch that is amazing, in my opinion--that's what sold me. I would not have traded him for ANY other QB recruit in his class. I agree that the lack of arm strength tag is nonsense.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #64
Glamcock
Recruit

Male

Glamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1520 View Post
Not true, #1 target was Heck and there was also the olsen kid
We could have landed Olsen if we wanted him. They decided they liked Mitch better than him. That is from JC Shurburtt.

Nos is BIG. I've seen him in the halls. There is no bad weight on him. I've only seen his film, but he's definitely an athlete, and I have no idea where the arm strength question came from. The dude has a good arm. I am pumped to see him play.
Glamcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #65
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
It's cool that you got to see him play so much at that level. There's one particular highlight reel on Nosovitch that is amazing, in my opinion--that's what sold me. I would not have traded him for ANY other QB recruit in his class. I agree that the lack of arm strength tag is nonsense.
Anyone who watched the films won't question his arm strength. He put one ball in the air more than 50 yards and hit the guy on the run and also threw down field while running. You can easiliy see the progression he has made since 2010 where he had to lob the ball to get it very far and runnners had to stop to wait to now where he was hitting players on dead runs across the middle 15 and 20 yards out. If he continued to make progress during his first college year like he did from 2011 to 2012, he should have a very good tool set.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #66
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

I'm very excited for this year's spring game to see the two future QBs play. I mainly hope that our QBs and everyone else for that matter can stay healthy. This injury bug that has hit us the past two to three years is getting REALLY old.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #67
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphilip View Post
Noso won't ever see the field (as a starter), Mitch is the future

I'm not sure how you can state this as a fact without seeing Nosovitch compete for the job. All I've heard (read) is how high the coaching staff is on Noso and how well he's played against the 1st team defense on the scout team. Hate to see any gamecock fan write him off before he's even had a single Spring practice.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #68
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

I really hate to say it but as far as QB competition goes it could turn out as a blessing having Shaw sit out from his surgery. It gives not just Dylan valuable snaps as the #1 guy but it gives extra reps to Mitch and Noso. I believe Shaw will still be the #1 guy going into fall practice but he may be on a real short leash if the new guys are that good.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #69
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Nosovitch should get more respect. His stats are crazy.

Let's be careful about anointing Mitch.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #70
RphBallCoach
Blue Chip

Male

RphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervous

With the defensive talent level in the SEC we need two QBs which fits Spurrier's whoever has the hot hand plays. Nos and Mitch are gonna be good probably as good if not better than Shaw/Thompson combo.
RphBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #71
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

With the hype, if one does not live up to it, what are the odds that one transfers in order to see PT? Playing devils advocate
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #72
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
yeah, it amazes me how many people are swayed by the latest press clippings. totally writing nos off, because mitch is coming in with so much hoopla is ridiculous. if nos would have done the off-season camp circuits, not only would he have been much higher rated, he might not have been a gamecock either. a lot of teams missed on him, because he was not actively running the camps.
i think the biggest reason our program has raised up to where it is now, is the ability of our coaching staff to evaluate talent, and not rely on the recruiting sites rankings.
nos is going to be a monster with just a little more attention given to him, and reps with the first and second squads. if he can do what he has with the scout team, imagine how well he performs with the talent of the two deep guys around him. i love all of our qb's, and believe each one of them is talented enough to run our offense. i furthermore would feel comfortable with any one of them running our offense, if sos deems them the starter. and while i agree with the notion that mitch will redshirt this season, if for no other reasons, than to learn this offense inside out, and the depth in front of him, it would not surprise me at all if nos battles thompson for the number two spot and wins. no matter what, we should have a very talented offense for years to come. the influx of talented ol will help that along the way.
I have tried to name this phenomenon before, and the best description I have come up with is "nextbigthingitis." For awhile there, every Carolina fan had it. The team as a whole wasn't very good, so all we had to look forward to was the individual performance of good to great players in some individual games. We were always looking for the "next big thing" as well, especially at the Quarterback position. Who was going to be the next guy to look for, watch and enjoy. And some still carry subdued strains of this today.

Meanwhile, now the whole team is better, we are winning more than we ever have, and the coaches choose to play both QB's much to the chagrin of some fans. They may choose to do the same in the future with Nosovitch playing the part of Shaw and Mitch playing the part of Thompson. Who knows...but I am afraid for some nextbigthingitis is incurable.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #73
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I have tried to name this phenomenon before, and the best description I have come up with is "nextbigthingitis." For awhile there, every Carolina fan had it. The team as a whole wasn't very good, so all we had to look forward to was the individual performance of good to great players in some individual games. We were always looking for the "next big thing" as well, especially at the Quarterback position. Who was going to be the next guy to look for, watch and enjoy. And some still carry subdued strains of this today.

Meanwhile, now the whole team is better, we are winning more than we ever have, and the coaches choose to play both QB's much to the chagrin of some fans. They may choose to do the same in the future with Nosovitch playing the part of Shaw and Mitch playing the part of Thompson. Who knows...but I am afraid for some nextbigthingitis is incurable.
Anyone wanna know the reason why we never land 5* Blue Chip, pocket passing elite 11 QBs? (No, not Blake Mitchell, I am aware he was an elite 11 QB, but I am talking about the Matt Barkley's and Aaron Murray's of the world.)

I will tell you why. This right here. The playing a 2 QB system works, maybe for now. But when these elite QB's see this, they tend to stay away, far away from that system. Why? because they want their stats, so they can go to the NFL. We had great stats combined between Shaw and Thompson this year, but those elite lvl blue chip prospect kind of players want to do it themselves. Meet their stats. Know what I mean?

Before you say it, yes they are a wee bit selfish, thats the point. They starve to be the best and show off, they want to win awards, games and go high in the NFL draft because they know they can.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #74
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
Anyone wanna know the reason why we never land 5* Blue Chip, pocket passing elite 11 QBs?....I am talking about the Aaron Murray's of the world....
Erin Murray's elite? Huh. Who knew??

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #75
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
He will be drafted into the NFL. When was the last time we had a QB go to the NFL?

Yeh, you get my point, and not sure if you even read the whole post, or just decided to try to flame me without reading in context.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #76
AmonRa777
Recruit

Male

AmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his comb

Brendan Nososvitch is the real deal....He might have been the best passer on our team last year...The rs year has served him well...He and Connor will both compete for playing time...

Our program is very fortunate to have several very talented options to develop...Writing any of them off at this point is just plain foolish....Connor Shaw has won a lot of big games for us...I look for Connor to have a stellar senior season.....There is no pressure to get the young guys on the field early...Unless one of them is so good Coaches feel he has to play...
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #77
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Erin Murray wears Connor Shaw pajamas and has nightmares of Clowney.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #78
Tailfeathers
Starter

Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
He will be drafted into the NFL. When was the last time we had a QB go to the NFL?

Yeh, you get my point, and not sure if you even read the whole post, or just decided to try to flame me without reading in context.
The context is college football not the NFL. I'm glad Erin plays for Ugly and not USC.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #79
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

AARON.....not ERIN
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #80
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
AARON.....not ERIN
...I'm pretty sure it's Erin.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote