CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
LeeSC
pitchcock
SCohioBoy
gadeneer1986
WeStillOwnUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
Cockypantherfan
Just Booked my Hotel (1487)
Waldrop doubtful for (1139)
Best position coach (997)
We Have A New KO Guy (903)
The New Idea That'll (872)
If we loose to Kensu (662)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (545)
I'm over the loss, b (479)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (326)
So What? (314)
Best position coach or co
We Have A New KO Guy
Dylan Thompson looks brok
Thoughts on the basketbal
If we loose to Kensucky..
2015 Commitment - Mark Fi
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
One dimensional QB
Ole Miss football program
Really excited to visit t

Old 01-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #61
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Syvelle Newton to join staff?

People change. If HBC gets one inkling that he hasn't changed and can't buy into the team concept, he'll be gone faster than a Clemson lead against the Gamecocks!

I trust THE VISOR on this one.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #62
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Eh, I don't know him personally, but I do know he got moved around so much in his career that he never got the opportunity he should have in the NFL. If he had started at WR he would have gone on to become one of the best to ever have played here (IMO). However, our QB situation was so messed up he had to keep coming back to it.

In terms of the laptop issue, I don't think he stole one of the laptops. What he did do was take a life-sized cutout of himself that he claimed was told he could take, so if that's the case no big deal.
In 2004, as QB, Syvelle also single-handedly helped USC beat Vandy at home one year in a game we would have lost but for him. He made some spectactular runs. The last one was to the goal line when he ruptured his achilles tendon making a 90 degree cut.

Also, it was Holtz that moved him to DB after that injury. He played safety in the horrible Holtz cover two. Syvelle Newton's speed was never the same after the achilles injury. He was too slow for safety after the injury.

Syvelle, once again at QB, was the player Clemson's defense attacked as he lay injured on the field at the end of the brawl-game. That led to Carolina players coming to his aid, the Clemp bench emptying, and the wild 25 minute, helmet-swinging, billy-club weilding pickens police department brawl in Holtz' final game at USC.

Syvelle was a highly touted recruit--the best QBs in the country in HS. He aggravated Clemp in his HS press conference when he announced. He initally put a Clemp hat on to the cheers of the Clemson fans. Then, he threw their colors on the ground and said, "I"m going to the University of South Carolina."

Syvelle is a pretty good rap artist. He made a rap song about how great it is to be a gamecock.

He has always been one of my favorite players after that recruiting press conference.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #63
OscarTheGrouch
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 440
OscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPitOscarTheGrouch rules the CockPit

I never missed a tackle as DB against Clemson... I'm perfect.. just sayin..
OscarTheGrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #64
CockOla
Game MVP

Male

CockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudly

What a great demonstration/definition of a discussion board on this thread...people sitting in a glass house irrationally throwing stones. The last time I checked Newton gave and sacrificed his time-body to USC during his student-athlete career what many on here never gave or will dream of giving to USC. The last time I checked Newton remains a Gamecock. Welcome back Coach Newton and Kudos to SOS for facilitating this opportunity for a true Gamecock.
CockOla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #65
TStone
Grammar Nazi

Male

Pumpkin Contest: Winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest - Given for: Pumpkin Contest 
CockyCash: 4535
TStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
He was a great player, but I'm not sure I like this move.

Wasn't he one of those in the laptop issue? Wasn't he the one that was on Beale St after the Liberty Bowl screaming about how Spurrier ruined his career for moving him to DB? No offense, but he's one of those guys that I throw in the "Old Carolina" pile. We've turned a corner to get those type of players out of our program. I don't like bringing them (even if just one) back to be a coach.
So it's okay to spread rumors about ex-players? Is there a link to a news source discussing this? ;)
Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #66
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

He can't be a graduate assistant until he actually graduates from college. A GA is in a masters program. I know he didn't graduate when he left for the pros and I don't think he has gone back yet.
doc
Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #67
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

Syvelle's injury occurred at at home against Vanderbilt in 2005, Spurrier's first year. In 2004 Vanderbilt was the first game of the year in Nasville. He was never DB under Lou, played QB and WR, the move to the secondary didn't happen until late 2006.
kabercr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #68
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
Syvelle's injury occurred at at home against Vanderbilt in 2005, Spurrier's first year. In 2004 Vanderbilt was the first game of the year in Nasville. He was never DB under Lou, played QB and WR, the move to the secondary didn't happen until late 2006.
Correct. I believe they moved him to DB because thought that was his best chance to play in the NFL.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #69
walk.daddy
sings for money

Male

CockyCash: 533
walk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabercr2 View Post
This is correct. He got hurt against Vandy in the homecoming game Jay Cutler/Earl Bennett's senior year. He played great all game and if it weren't for him then we wouldn't have won that nail biter at home.
walk.daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #70
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccock View Post
He can't be a graduate assistant until he actually graduates from college. A GA is in a masters program. I know he didn't graduate when he left for the pros and I don't think he has gone back yet.
doc
Local news a short while ago said that Newton was working on the
necessary courses in order to get his degree and has almost completed
that. ..... They said that Spurrier has said that Newton should complete
everything in time for him to join the staff when they open Spring Practice.
That is usually mid March.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #71
cocky1982
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 5298466
cocky1982 has earned his spurscocky1982 has earned his spurscocky1982 has earned his spurscocky1982 has earned his spurscocky1982 has earned his spurscocky1982 has earned his spurs

Some of you act like the guy will be calling plays and recruiting for us. Please step back from the edge my friends lol
cocky1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #72
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Will he coach WR's...please....
That's the only logical place for him to go.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #73
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockOla View Post
What a great demonstration/definition of a discussion board on this thread...people sitting in a glass house irrationally throwing stones. The last time I checked Newton gave and sacrificed his time-body to USC during his student-athlete career what many on here never gave or will dream of giving to USC. The last time I checked Newton remains a Gamecock. Welcome back Coach Newton and Kudos to SOS for facilitating this opportunity for a true Gamecock.
So did Squeaky Watson, Demetrius Summers and that Tight End I won't name doesn't make them the most respectable people. Respect is something that is earned not entitled just because you wore a Gamecock uniform its living up to the expectations of what being a Gamecock is.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #74
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Local news a short while ago said that Newton was working on the
necessary courses in order to get his degree and has almost completed
that. ..... They said that Spurrier has said that Newton should complete
everything in time for him to join the staff when they open Spring Practice.
That is usually mid March.
Sounds good.
doc
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #75
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Kids grow up. Give him a chance.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #76
gamecockgal
KEEP CALM AND HAIL HYDRA!

Female

CockyCash: 1000000
gamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot materialgamecockgal is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
Kids grow up. Give him a chance.

This x 1000.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #77
Mootsman
Walk On

Male

Mootsman has hatched from the shell

Glad he played and all but we really don't need that retard doing anything outside the white lines.
Mootsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #78
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 858937569
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

How many of you with such high standards made mistakes when you were 18-22?
Would you want those mistakes to be held against you for the rest of your life?

Just sayin.......
Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #79
Singaporecock
Redneck Abroad

Male

CockyCash: 1000500
Singaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Singaporecock

Syvelle Newton....the inventor of the squat pass since he squatted down 90% of the time he threw the ball!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #80
SCMunnerlyn1
Former Florence Resident

Male

CockyCash: 875
SCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his combSCMunnerlyn1 is developing his comb

Favorite gamecock of all time. Thrilled to have him back with us.

The past is history,tomorrow is a mystery,but today is a gift.. that is why we call it the present
SCMunnerlyn1 is online now   Reply With Quote