CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Latti
Spurrier was Embaras (3397)
More David Williams (2800)
ECU is a good team (2385)
Is it possible for o (2229)
Spurrier not happy s (2046)
Gameday in Columbia (1239)
Curse of the Chicken (1190)
Alabama vs Florida. (1161)
Tonight's ugly win w (1040)
Our wide receivers w (996)
SEC East Race as of 9/21
Polls
Spurrier not happy so why
Tonight's ugly win was in
Gameday in Columbia
Is it possible for our Sp
More David Williams Pleas
Name a Gamecock
UK fans and local sports
D line pressure

Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #81
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly
Default Re: South Carolina's O-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
Teach our guys how to hold.
With our luck, the SEC refs would start calling holding, but it is worth a try.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #82
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
With our luck, the SEC refs would start calling holding, but it is worth a try.
If the OL uses proper technique, they rarely will get called for holding......this is why the refs didn't call holding on the OL blocking Clowney very often.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #83
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Did you see the Wofford game. How many times did Shaw get sacked 4-5 probably.
I saw the Wofford game. They schemed to stop the run, run-blitzed constantly. That was almost all Connor. He was quite hobbled - the main reason he didn't get pulled was Thompson unavailable.
Alabama has a very good OL - likely 3 top draft picks. but they didn't dominate in SEC play. They didn't dominate LSU, A&M, or Georgia. They whipped Notre Dame - a somewhat over-rated unit. No OL dominates in the SEC. Some do better than others.
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #84
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I saw the Wofford game. They schemed to stop the run, run-blitzed constantly. That was almost all Connor. He was quite hobbled - the main reason he didn't get pulled was Thompson unavailable.
Alabama has a very good OL - likely 3 top draft picks. but they didn't dominate in SEC play. They didn't dominate LSU, A&M, or Georgia. They whipped Notre Dame - a somewhat over-rated unit. No OL dominates in the SEC. Some do better than others.
Basically the same thing everybody did this year.....stop the run and force CS to throw.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #85
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Basically the same thing everybody did this year.....stop the run and force CS to throw.
We saw that a lot, but moreso with Garcia. Unfortunately, against Wofford, his foot really limited his movement and affected his throws (near awful). The one notable downfield pass was a superb catch by Nick Jones.
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #86
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatBamaTwice View Post
2010: Marcus averaged 4.8 yards per carry rushing for 1,197
2011: Marcus averaged 5.0 per carry for 818 total
2012: Marcus averaged 4.6 per carry for 662, a slight drop off but clearly not indicative of OL performance that's "shameful."

Also, note that Mike Davis carried 53 times during 2012, averaging 5.3 per carry, while Bruce Ellington averaged 5.6. An aside, Bruce's cousin Andre averaged 5.1 per carry and was his team's leading rusher.

Clearly, our OL is young but that's no reason to shame them. I know all of us hope for improved performance and Alabama type run blocking at 6.4 yards per carry. Hard work and all things are possible. May I suggest that we encourage and get behind our OL instead of bashing and trashing them. Thanks.
We finished 91st in the country in rushing, and that is with Shaw's 435 yards. Most of the success they we did have is the result of misdirection because of the zone read, not the line's blocking. I know they're trying, but this unit is not pulling it's weight and it hasn't for about 7 years. The last couple of years they finally figured out how to run block but they couldn't pass block. This year they made progress pass blocking forgot how to run block. I thank everyone for they effort they put in, but I am actually excited to see some new faces in there this year and see what they've got.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #87
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
If the OL uses proper technique, they rarely will get called for holding......this is why the refs didn't call holding on the OL blocking Clowney very often.

You are wrong. You just are. They didn't call holding on OL vs Clowney, b/c they'd have to do it EVERY play, not b/c of the technique.

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #88
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
We finished 91st in the country in rushing, and that is with Shaw's 435 yards. Most of the success they we did have is the result of misdirection because of the zone read, not the line's blocking. I know they're trying, but this unit is not pulling it's weight and it hasn't for about 7 years. The last couple of years they finally figured out how to run block but they couldn't pass block. This year they made progress pass blocking forgot how to run block. I thank everyone for they effort they put in, but I am actually excited to see some new faces in there this year and see what they've got.
I don't think last year's regression was about forgetting but about losing three senior starters, Kyle, Terrance and Rok, while adding two starters who had four combined team OL plays ever, Brandon and Corey. But like you, I'm excited about seeing how the Claytons, two Codys, Will and Mason have progressed. Also exciting is 6'6" 335 DJ Park arriving early believing he's good enough to immediately contribute. I'm not holding my breath but I already love his spirit!
BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #89
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Really, because the coaches had the Oline try more chopping and less man on man constant blocks in the Wofford game, and the problem was resolved when they went back to more conventional blocking schemes.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #90
RphBallCoach
Blue Chip

Male

RphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervous

will be the 5 keys to our success:
RT
RG
C
LG
LT
RphBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #91
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
SMH. The only holding call by an OL against Clowney all season was the tackle made by the Arkansas left tackle. The SEC refs didn't call holding as often as they should this season, point blank.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #92
Cockfight
Recruit

Male

Cockfight has feathers coming inCockfight has feathers coming in

The Offensive Line was not that BAD. Take away an interception at LSU and several turnovers at Florida and we may have been undefeated going into the SEC Championship game. A horrible OL would not have been able to accomplish that feat! Come on get real! We had a Quaterback that played injured most of the season. That same QB was our most mobile weapon. Can we get better? Well of course we can. And we will.

Yes, Cody Waldrop is a Stud. Gamecock Nation will soon see the progression of a young man that can be one of the best. The kid is Nasty and has the respect of alot of lineman on the team.

The guards will return and yes should be better than last year. Cann could have a great year and Patrick..yes needs to get better. IMO hes the weak link. The Tackles I think will really come into their own this season. Robinson finally has found his natural position and is getting comfortable there. The guy was a DT when he first came here , so he has had to learn alot. Shell has the potential and made a huge improvement from his first year. I think he will shine at the right tackle spot this year.

Depth is better than ever. Several players should push for playing time which will make the OLine even stronger.

Are we as good as Bama or Tex AMs OL, NO....but they dont have to be either. I think they will really come into their own this year as a unit.
Cockfight is offline   Reply With Quote