CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
JaxcockFL
SMOTFS86
GregoryHouse
B-G
JerseyBird
gamecockgal
uscGRAD04
Cockhornleghorn
2014 Subway Classic: (1957)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1407)
Former Gamecock root (1323)
Franks boy's are pla (1013)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (522)
Kentucky is dominati (496)
Chance of my lifetim (431)
Bruce!!! (360)
Question for those w (358)
Franks boy's are playing
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Question for those who ha
Has the window closed for
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
The Vent and Coaching cha
Decommitment from Texas A
official UFC thread. (new
Former Gamecock rooting f

Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material
Default Great coach speak !

Just for fun list your favorite coach speaks. Spurrier had many but my 3 favorite are....

Ohio St. was leading 42-0 in a game and score again with less than a minute to play. Woody Hayes went for two on the play making it 50-0. When he was asked after the game why he went for two he said, "because they wouldn't let me go for 3"

Lou Holtz was asked after a game about the execution of his offense to which he replied..."Well we thought about it, but we thought it might be a little harsh."

I think Woody Hayes said this after asked about not passing more in the game, "When you pass the ball one of three things can happen...and two of those are bad."

Great moments.....
Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Great coach speak !

Better than Holtz's quote was the one by the first coach of the NFL's Buccaneers (forget his name... John something). He was asked how he felt about his team's execution and he said "I'm in favor of it!"

Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
PyroPepper
Star Maker

Male

CockyCash: 200
PyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
Better than Holtz's quote was the one by the first coach of the NFL's Buccaneers (forget his name... John something). He was asked how he felt about his team's execution and he said "I'm in favor of it!"

John McKay

PyroPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
PyroPepper
Star Maker

Male

CockyCash: 200
PyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot materialPyroPepper is USC mascot material

1 - In response to a question about his team's execution - "I'm all in favour of it."2 - On an interception thrown by Steve DeBerg in 1984 that cost the Bucs a game against the Giants - "It was thrown to nobody. Well, it was thrown to somebody, Harry Carson. But he happened to be playing for the New York Giants at the time. It would have been a good pass if Harry had been playing for us." 3 - After a particularly heavy loss - "The bus leaves in an hour - anyone who needs a shower, take one." 4 - On losing a key game - "I told our players that there were 700 million Chinese people in the world who didn't even know the game was played. The next week, I got five letters from China asking "What happened?" 5 - After the Bucs broke their 26-game losing streak - "Three or four plane crashes and we're in the playoffs." 6 - On recruiting his son John to play for USC and then the Bucs - "I had an advantage - I slept with his mother." 7 - On the prospect of a late-season trip to Green Bay - "Going there is like winning the 98th prize in a beauty contest with only 97 prizes." 8 - On hearing how Buc kicker Pete Rajecki was nervous about McKay watching him in the 1976 pre-season - "That's unfortuntate as I plan on attending all the games." 9 - At a post-game press conference in 1976 "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a bunch of bananas." 10 - The following week after a media member has dropped off a case of bananas at his door - "You guys don't know the difference between a football and a Mercedez-Benz."

PyroPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
d20636
Haven't seen your acid...

Male

CockyCash: 1360
d20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot material

"At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat. That costs money and we don't have any." Erk Russell / Georgia Southern.

"I don't expect to win enough games to be put on NCAA probation. I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation." Bob Devaney / Nebraska

"There's one sure way to stop us from scoring -give us the ball near the goal line." Matty Bell / SMU

"Son, you've got a good engine, but your hands aren't on the steering wheel." Bobby Bowden / Florida State

"We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking." John McKay / USC
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
IMACOCK
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000420
IMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot material

“That boy don’t know the meaning of the word fear. In fact, I just saw his grades, and that boy don’t know the meaning of a lot of words.” (Bobby Bowden)

“It isn’t necessary to see a good tackle. You can hear it.” (Knute Rockne)
IMACOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

An agent came in to Lombardi's office and wanted to talk.about a player receiving a raise. Lombardi told the agent to hold on just a minute and left the office. he came back in and said, "I just fired that guy. now, what would you like to talk about?"

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
An agent came in to Lombardi's office and wanted to talk.about a player receiving a raise. Lombardi told the agent to hold on just a minute and left the office. he came back in and said, "I just fired that guy. now, what would you like to talk about?"
If memory serves, this is a true story. Back in the day, Vince was HC and GM and he traded the player while his agent was waiting to talk to him.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
kevhugh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
kevhugh is making other chickens nervouskevhugh is making other chickens nervouskevhugh is making other chickens nervouskevhugh is making other chickens nervouskevhugh is making other chickens nervouskevhugh is making other chickens nervouskevhugh is making other chickens nervous

Other Lou Holtz quotes:

Holtz’s first head coaching job was at The College of William and Mary. The press asked him why he thought they lost a game. “We had too many Marys and not enough Williams.”

"He who complains about how the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."

Lou Holtz was coaching Arkansas and the Razorbacks were winning a game that promised a trip to the Orange Bowl, and the students started throwing oranges on the field. Afterward they asked Holtz what he thought about it. “Thank God we’re not going to the Gator Bowl,” he said.
kevhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 800
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

When Corso was the coach at Indiana, he had a small running back that gained over a thousand yards one season, when asked why he recruited such a small running back, Corso answered, "because our o-line opens small holes"
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Jdallen20
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 975
Jdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spurs

"But anyway..."

South Endzone
Jdallen20 is offline   Reply With Quote