CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
CockyLifer
Badazcock
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (27514)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2132)
Simple "yes&quo (1474)
Phil Steele just pre (1200)
We actually didnt lo (1133)
Eat Crow (901)
what I think ab ward (888)
Extremely Proud (773)
Garcia: Change the R (754)
TeMarcus Blanton (702)
Extremely Proud
Nick Marshall
I want people to explain
We would be 7-1 with just
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
what I think ab ward
Defense question
We actually didnt lose
Simple "yes" or
End of the first half....

Old 01-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
Kazak
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit
Default Who will step up at WR?

With Ace heading to the NFL, who do you think will step it up at WR next season?

My predictions:

Bruce is going to blow up next year. The guy keeps getting better and better, and I think he's capable of putting up All-SEC numbers.

Jones and Byrd will substantially increase their productivity...both have been improving, although they still need work (and a lot of reps in the spring).

Shaq Roland will start making some big plays for us, although I think he's probably another full season away from being a huge contributor (I hope he proves me wrong and lights it up in 2013).

My prediction for breakout WR in 2013: Kwinton Smith. The buzz around his redshirt season--from both players and coaches--is very reminiscent of the buzz that surrounded Sidney Rice while he redshirted...
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Who will step up at WR?

I really hope it's one of the guys over 6' that steps up. As much fun as it was watching Bruce, Ace and Jones run around it would be nice to have a big guy who you can throw jump balls to every once in a while.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
reddot8481
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200
reddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot material

This year we have seen more use of the speed backs to get separation, but I think next year we start utilizing our taller receivers. I agree that Smith could see a surge, however I still think that KJ Brent offers a better combination of size and speed to provide the separation and target.
Carolina eu preciso te falar
Carolina eu vou amar voc
reddot8481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 AM   #4
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I really hope it's one of the guys over 6' that steps up. As much fun as it was watching Bruce, Ace and Jones run around it would be nice to have a big guy who you can throw jump balls to every once in a while.
Well, my breakout pick, Kwinton Smith, would fit the bill at 6-4. After Smith's first few practice sessions, Connor Shaw said something like, "You can't over-throw him."
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
WE_ARE
Mr. BIG COCK

Male

CockyCash: 200
WE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
I see what you did there.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:22 AM   #7
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

I expect Roland to step it up and replace Ace. He should have the biggest impact. I also expect Spurrier to create more plays specifically to get the ball in Byrd's hands. To throw one out of left field, I expect Fuller to get noticed. He is different than anyone we currently have on the roster and might make a great backup to Roland or Jones. He is a lot like LeCorn.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

If I had to guess...

WR1 Shaq Roland
Backup Kwinton Smith or KJ Brent

WR2 Bruce Ellington
Backup Damiere Byrd

WR3 Nick Jones
Backup Jody Fuller

Left off list: Shamier Jeffery, DeAngelo Smith

Pharoh Cooper will Redshirt
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

Deangelo smith walked with the seniors on senior day.

If only we had a former top5 recruit with some experience and a year in our system. That would be awesome. (Cough,cough Roland cough,cough)

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

X: Ellington/Roland
Z:Byrd/Brent/Fuller
B: Jones/K.Smith

Ellington will be the leading receiver and will play both x and z in order to get Roland on the field more. I expect Shaq to put together a nice year.

I expect Brent to log a lot more snaps as well at Z bc of his size in the slot. Helps with run blocking.

Byrd and Jones should be steady but Jones will have to fight off Smith

One thing that is certain, Bubba has options that are in there 2nd-3rd years in the system which will make his job easier.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1373
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Bruce led the team in receiving yards this season, and had 5 receptions fewer. He was second on receiving touchdowns, and will probably lead the receiving stats for the team next year.
I imagine Kwinton Smith and Shaq Roland will step up next year. Hopefully Byrd will improve as well. If Dylan is the starter, look for Nick Jones to get a lot of touches, as those two have a lot of chemistry together.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

I think Jones has shown flashes when given the opportunity to contribute. We were saying the same thing this year. We now have depth of talent and someone will step up to fill the void. It adds excitement to the start of the season. I sometimes wonder what our teams would have been like without people leaving. Of course everyone else is losing people too.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
We've got a receiver named Chickadee?
Actually, I expect more 2 tight end sets with Busta and Adams and Owens mixed in. Sometimes our TE splits out a little. I also expect Bruce to produce more. I think we will see production from the TE's, Bruce, K Smith, Roland, and Jones. Byrd will likely remain a threat, but mostly deep. If he learns to use a blocker and space, he could be dangerous on short routes and WR screens, but I think the others will be the main optins there. Ace was a great 3rd down guy because of his elusiveness and hands. I don't know who can fill that role from WR. Jones seems more of a downfield guy but had some good 15-20 yard catches. Maybe Brent if he develops the playmaking to go with his speed and height.

Last edited by Goofyboy; 01-16-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
толстый Cock
Recruit

Male

толстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spursтолстый Cock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Is the WORD!
толстый Cock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
RphBallCoach
Blue Chip

Male

RphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervous

the guy who can block
RphBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

It should read Shaq BETTER STEP UP and learn to hold onto a ball.
I was actually very dissappointed in what I saw out of him this year...hopefully a year training and learning the system will yield a better year for Shaq in 2013.

But if not him...I'd expect either Kwinton Smith, KJ Brent or Jody Fuller to step up.

Who knows, Deangelo Smith may finally get it together.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Connor Shaw, after he is converted. He will blow up.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
cockycock10
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1110
cockycock10 is sharpening his clawscockycock10 is sharpening his clawscockycock10 is sharpening his clawscockycock10 is sharpening his clawscockycock10 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Finch? who is that? ha
cockycock10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Don't sleep on KJ! And Pharoah will get his shot
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 66034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Jerrell Adams.. whether at TE or WR the staff HAS to utilize him... he has the size/speed/talent to be unstoppable on offense.. Imagine him at WR. the damage he would cause