CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
StormOfTalons
Acockolypse Now
spareparts
b381l
elcid99
sporkgod50
auslander
M.C.
75CarolinaFan
An Aggies View of th (1114)
My predictions for 2 (1032)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (771)
Tennessee (741)
Elcid99 (732)
Question on Student (501)
Erin Murray's brothe (465)
Clowney in Practice (442)
SEC Recruiting Advan (416)
Camp scheduled relea (355)
Mike Davis' HS Coach on H
Question on Student Secti
FIFA 14 on PS3
Tennessee
Elcid99
An Aggies View of the Mat
SEC Recruiting Advantage
Rokevious Watkins cut fro
My predictions for 2014
2015 Commitment - Mon Den

Old 01-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #101
Teamneil
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 541
Teamneil has earned his spursTeamneil has earned his spursTeamneil has earned his spursTeamneil has earned his spursTeamneil has earned his spursTeamneil has earned his spurs
Default Re: Weight Training Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
this guy gets it
My apologies then good sir.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #102
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

To reiterate what has been said several times, if you have rarely done squats or deadlifts before, start small and work on form. Find someone that knows what they are doing in that department and get them to help you.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #103
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Waited to see the good/bad comments before putting in my two cents. I'll def say that overall most everybody is in the ballpark - some good tips for sure.

I own a "regular" gym and a crossfit facility to go along with a slew of professional certs and lots of practical experience in the USMC, so here's my brief take....

Keep your diet as natural as possible. In other words, the more additives and preservatives it has and the longer the shelf-life the more you need to avoid it. Beyond that, try to go all day without being full or hungry and your metabolism will hum right along. People make nutrition way too complicated.

As for workouts themselves, again don't make the process too complicated. Compound movements as much as possible and listen to your body for how much to rest. As a rule, watch what most other people are avoiding (squat rack for example) and do that. Most people don't work nearly hard enough in the gym, but still expect results to be monumental - not happening. Get comfortable being uncomfortable a few hours a week and your life will change.

Aside from that get enough rest and try to reduce stress as much as possible to prevent countering your gains.

Off the top of my head, here are the main mistakes I see daily (and I spend the bulk of my day in a gym):

-Obsessiong with bench press. Treat the bench like any other exercise, no need for the added emphasis. You want true upperbody strength that better translates to other lifts, do overhead presses (not military presses - there's a difference).
-Using "cardio" day as "leg" day.
-Too many single joint movements (tricep kickbacks anyone?)
-Too many days between "parts" or just training "parts" in gen'l. When my clients ask what we're working today, I simply say, "you." That's what we're working, you not the long head of your left tricep.
-Doing cardio, met-con, or whatever you call it before lifting and wondering why you're weak.
-Reading "Flex" magazine and following those routines with an ectomorph type body. Extreme waste of time. Conversely an endomorph trying to lose weight by reading a magazine on a stationary bike.
-Spending too much time in the gym. Do it right and go home.
-Obsessing over body weight. Don't worry about lbs or your BMI. Body fat % is a number you can track if you really need a measuring stick.
-And the single biggest obstacle for most...lack of consistency. Easily the top problem. I'l stop there, but I could easily list lots more.

If you want more specifics, hit me up.

Last edited by Gaichon; 01-15-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #104
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Glad to hear you are starting to get back to working out. I started in November last year and have lost twenty pounds so far and my body fat % has gone down rougly 4.5%.. Listed below is my workout schedule to give you another idea on how to group yours. If you have an iPhone, then I recommend getting the iFitness Pro app. It allows me to create my workouts, view videos to learn proper form, and record my workouts to see how I progress. If you don't have an iPhone or smart phone, go to bodybuilding.com and look at their workouts to put together your own. Then bring a composition notebook to the gym to record your lifts. As far as protein shakes go, I rarely drink them. My church had a nutritionist come by in November for a free three classes, and she told me that eating a balanced meal with good protein is all I need to do, instead of wasting money on whey protein. So I only have a shake when I am unable to eat a meal.

Workout Schedule:
Sunday - Chest and Triceps: Dumbbell Bench, Incline DB Bench, Dumbbell Flyes, Tricep Kickbacks, Standing Tricep Extensions, Cable Tricep Pushdowns, and I end on Side Bends to work my obliques. Also, I run a mile before I lift weights to get my heart rate up. You might want to start at half a mile until your body gets used to running again. Afterwards I do more cardio to work the muscles I just used (run another mile)

Monday - Cardio day. I run around my neighborhood and play basketball or tennis

Tuesday - Back and Lower Body - Lat Pulldown, Dumbbell Lunge, Calf Raises, Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift, Lying Hip Extension, Cable Leg Extension, Back Raises, Machine Leg Curl, and Ab work (crunches on exercise ball or machine crunches). Also, cardio before and after just like Sunday. However, on Tuesdays I like to warm up on the stationary bike to get my blood flowing more in the legs.

Wednesday - Another cardio day.

Thursday - Shoulders, Biceps, Rotator Cuff, and Forearms - Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press, Hammer Curls, Dumbbell Bicep Curls, DB front raises, DB lateral raises, Rotator Cuff exercises (I use a cable for these but you could also use a dumbbell), Zottman Curls, DB bent-over rows, Resistance Band curls, Resistance Band Shrugs, Upright Rows or Cable Shrugs, and more ab work if I am not too soar from Tuesday's ab work. Also, cardio before and after.

Friday - Fun cardio day. I either play a sport with friends (tennis, basketball), or I go to the gym to run on the eliptical.

Saturdays - My long run days. I go on my longest run of the week Saturday mornings.

One more thing: Don't rest too much between sets. I understand you will rest longer the first two weeks because you are getting used to your workout routine, but try to speed it up after that. I workout with a friend and we alternate lifts. So I might be lifting dumbbell bench press while he is lifting standing tricep extensions, and then we switch after every set. That way you give your muscles a rest while you are working out other muscles. It keeps your heart rate up, helping intensify the workout. Most people will tell you to rest no more than 90s seconds between sets.

As far as the nutrition program. Just eat a balanced diet and drink 1 oz. of water for every two pounds you weigh. Smaller meals will boost your metabolism, and so will spicy food and high fiber food. I like to drink V8 juice as my mid morning snack, and another favorite snack of mine is apples and cottage cheese. String cheese and fruit is another great alternative if you don't like cottage cheese.

EDIT: Gaichon was nice enough to suggest modifications to my workout plan. Here is the PM he sent me, as it corrects some of the advice I gave in my post:
Quote:
Ha...beat me to it. Since we posted around the same time, I was about to send you some tips anyway.

The first thing that jumps out is too much wasted energy pre-workout. Dump the mile run in exchange for 3-5 min of dynamic movements/stretches (jumping jacks, alt toe touches, old-school calistentics basically). You'll be warmed-up without taxing your energy stores too much.

Next thing I notice is back and legs absolutely need their own seperate day. More so than any other parts.

Aside from that dump the ab machine. Other than the smith machine probably the most dangerous piece of equipment in any gym. I won't allow one in my place. Also, side bends are not that effective. Beyond that, you're pretty well in the ballpark. BEST OF LUCK!
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

Last edited by hellraiser24; 01-15-2013 at 01:23 PM.
hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #105
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Thanks Gaichon for your professional input. My main goals are to lower my body fat %, up my cardio level, and gain overall strength. I realize these goals will take time and commitment on my part to achieve, but I started this thread to get some helpful insight. As a side note I have been working out for a while now, but have not been as committed and have not gone as hard in the gym as I should have been going. Something like this (starting a thread and getting other people's inputs) helps keep me focused and push myself more. Thanks to everyone who has pitched in.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #106
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

What are some of the supplements y'all take? Just curious.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #107
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

My advice: stay away from doing penis lifts. You could end up with a broken wiener. I speak from experience.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #108
cockypanther
Banned

Male

cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
My advice: stay away from doing penis lifts. You could end up with a broken wiener. I speak from experience.
Dooley noted, thanks Yancey.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #109
cockypanther
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
What are some of the supplements y'all take? Just curious.
I'm taking BCAAs, creatine, and also drink protein powder (even though that's not much of a supplement). I also take a multivitamin.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #110
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Last thing and I'm done, for help with the lifts, get Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #111
Gaichon

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Last thing and I'm done, for help with the lifts, get Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength.
I'll echo that - Rippetoe is great and has been around a long time.

And, even thought some of it is dated (especially nutrition wise) I highly recommend Stuart McRobert's "Brawn". Its my all-time fave fitness book.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #112
CCtiger91
One of a Kind

Male

CockyCash: 107880
CCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
Waited to see the good/bad comments before putting in my two cents. I'll def say that overall most everybody is in the ballpark - some good tips for sure.

I own a "regular" gym and a crossfit facility to go along with a slew of professional certs and lots of practical experience in the USMC, so here's my brief take....

Keep your diet as natural as possible. In other words, the more additives and preservatives it has and the longer the shelf-life the more you need to avoid it. Beyond that, try to go all day without being full or hungry and your metabolism will hum right along. People make nutrition way too complicated.

As for workouts themselves, again don't make the process too complicated. Compound movements as much as possible and listen to your body for how much to rest. As a rule, watch what most other people are avoiding (squat rack for example) and do that. Most people don't work nearly hard enough in the gym, but still expect results to be monumental - not happening. Get comfortable being uncomfortable a few hours a week and your life will change.

Aside from that get enough rest and try to reduce stress as much as possible to prevent countering your gains.

Off the top of my head, here are the main mistakes I see daily (and I spend the bulk of my day in a gym):

-Obsessiong with bench press. Treat the bench like any other exercise, no need for the added emphasis. You want true upperbody strength that better translates to other lifts, do overhead presses (not military presses - there's a difference).
-Using "cardio" day as "leg" day.
-Too many single joint movements (tricep kickbacks anyone?)
-Too many days between "parts" or just training "parts" in gen'l. When my clients ask what we're working today, I simply say, "you." That's what we're working, you not the long head of your left tricep.
-Doing cardio, met-con, or whatever you call it before lifting and wondering why you're weak.
-Reading "Flex" magazine and following those routines with an ectomorph type body. Extreme waste of time. Conversely an endomorph trying to lose weight by reading a magazine on a stationary bike.
-Spending too much time in the gym. Do it right and go home.
-Obsessing over body weight. Don't worry about lbs or your BMI. Body fat % is a number you can track if you really need a measuring stick.
-And the single biggest obstacle for most...lack of consistency. Easily the top problem. I'l stop there, but I could easily list lots more.

If you want more specifics, hit me up.
I've been involved in a couple different weight programs for athletics and this sort of stuff is my major as well....with that said this guy knows exactly what he's talking about. Take note of his advice.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #113
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Just tried side lunges for the first time last night. If that doesn't get your heart racing and make you sweat, than I don't know what will. Men's Health has an article that recommends doing side raises and overhead press with the dumbbells at the same time. If you want the article, PM me and I will send it to you this afternoon when I get home.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #114
SolidifieD
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 495
SolidifieD has feathers coming inSolidifieD has feathers coming inSolidifieD has feathers coming in
Send a message via AIM to SolidifieD Send a message via Yahoo to SolidifieD

Cockytalk should create a "Health and Fitness" subforum inside the Water Cooler. Seems like a pretty popular topic and we have a lot of knowledgeable people here, could provide for some interesting and more "specific" threads.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #115
Gaichon

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidifieD View Post
Cockytalk should create a "Health and Fitness" subforum inside the Water Cooler. Seems like a pretty popular topic and we have a lot of knowledgeable people here, could provide for some interesting and more "specific" threads.
Good idea!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #116
cockypanther
Banned

Male

Another question: I would ideally like to get to about 185-190 and 10-12% body fat. Currently I'm just shy of 180 and probably 23% body fat. Based on my goal would it be best to trim down a little first and then put on good weight or go another route?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #117
USCooper
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
USCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypanther View Post
Another question: I would ideally like to get to about 185-190 and 10-12% body fat. Currently I'm just shy of 180 and probably 23% body fat. Based on my goal would it be best to trim down a little first and then put on good weight or go another route?
Personally I would be on a cutting diet but lift hard. People always ask what kind of workout should I do if I want to cut vs. bulk and I've always read do the same one or very similar just adjust your calories.

The people advising starting strentgh are spot on btw.

I'm interested to see what other guys say about this.
USCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #118
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
co-sign
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #119
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Quote:
This.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #120
Gaichon

Male

Happy to see FloydTheBarber make an apperance in my gym last night!