CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
SMOTFS86
Cockypantherfan
Lonnie
taylorssc
gamecockphan
robgusc76
U-Dub Gamecock
CoverTwo
Spurrier on Pharoah: (4345)
USC/clemson spread (2100)
Bowl projections (1626)
In case no one saw.. (1532)
Why has there been 4 (858)
Odell Becham Catch (853)
A little late to the (735)
No excuse for the D (686)
Tiger Burn (569)
Good Omen for Saturd (456)
College Football PSA (urg
Shaq Roland
The Defense
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
eric berry may have lymph
No excuse for the D this
Odell Becham Catch
Good Omen for Saturday?
Dylan Thompson surpasses
2015 Commitment - Christi

Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #81
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21
Default Re: Syvelle Newton to join staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootsman View Post
Glad he played and all but we really don't need that retard doing anything outside the white lines.
I do believe we have located taterhead/skeeter's latest incarnation.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #82
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Syvelle, stole a poster of himself after Holtz retired. Something that Spurrier has stated was not that big of a deal.

Also, Syvelle played the single greatest half of football I've ever seen by a Gamecock in Williams-Brice. 1st half against Vandy before he tore his Achilles.

However, none of these things mean squat when discussing coaching abilities.

As always, I defer to the judgment of the Visor.
It was this game that showed me his best position was runningback. I was so surprised his form was so low. He would straightened up when he had space but stayed and got the tough yards too.

I am still convinced if he did not get hurt he would've been a factor back going forward.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:49 AM   #83
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

yup newton showed much more flashes at qb and rb than he did at wr. maybe fully healthy he could have been a good wr, but his skillset tells me he would have been better at rb pre or post injury. i never understood why after his senior year he tried out for the pros at wr instead of rb.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #84
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Newton wasn't mad about playing safety, he was mad he had to play QB and then got hurt while doing it. It severely hurt his straight line speed and that was very noticable when he would get beat playing safety. Like all players he wanted a shot at the NFL and at barely 6', if that, he knew safety or WR was his best shot. With 4.4 speed and experience he would have had a great shot. With 4.7 speed and having skipped around positions in college his chances of making the NFL were gone.

No doubt Spurrier's comments on Syvelle in the past show he wishes things had turned out differently. In fact Spurrier has said he wished he had talked Syvelle into really trying to be a great passing QB too instead of just scrambling to make plays while we bought time for Mitchell to get his head on straight. There's no doubt Newton had the brains to match his athletic ability and could have been a phenomenal running AND passing QB if he really wanted to. But in the end money talks and his NFL projection had him as a safety or WR, not QB and that's why he didn't want to play QB.

The only thing that ever remotely rubbed me the wrong way was Syvelle's testimony to the NCAA that at least in part helped them decide Lou's voluntary workouts were mandatory. We all know every big time program "encourages" attending "voluntary" workouts and many of the players back then didn't GAS and wouldn't show up. Syvelle was one of those guys. That said his sacrifice winning ballgames, and he did win ballgames at QB for us, outweighs the NCAA witchhunt.

I also don't like his affiliation with 1400am since they go out of their way to trash the Gamecocks by saying things like Alshon has been arrested etc.

Biggest thing is it's Spurrier's call and I believe he really appreciates Syvelle's sacrifice for Carolina and wants to do anything he can to help Syvelle be successful. I doubt there is another player who Spurrier has lobbied more publicly for a shot at the NFL than Syvelle Newton.
75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #85
Cocks and Canes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Cocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
So did Squeaky Watson, Demetrius Summers and that Tight End I won't name doesn't make them the most respectable people. Respect is something that is earned not entitled just because you wore a Gamecock uniform its living up to the expectations of what being a Gamecock is.
If you would take the time to read this thread instead of posting your joke of an opinion you would find that what Syvelle got arrested for was nothing compared to Summers and Watson. Pretty sure Syvelle earned more respect as a Gamecock than you have as a fan on a message board.
Cocks and Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #86
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I think we should support the former gamecock. He matured out of his mistakes and was a heck of a player for us and won several games that we would have lost by moving back to QB. I'm excited for him to start his coaching career. The more gamecocks we have as successful coaches, the stronger the foundation of our program.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #87
Spurrier Fan
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his combSpurrier Fan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
He was a great player, but I'm not sure I like this move.

Wasn't he one of those in the laptop issue? Wasn't he the one that was on Beale St after the Liberty Bowl screaming about how Spurrier ruined his career for moving him to DB? No offense, but he's one of those guys that I throw in the "Old Carolina" pile. We've turned a corner to get those type of players out of our program. I don't like bringing them (even if just one) back to be a coach.
Unfortunately the last impression of someone is the most memorable, and while I liked a lot of what he did on the field, that's how I remember him too. Publically talking about he was misused by being put at different positions, and telling Sidney Rice he needed to leave and go pro (which was the right call, but not his place and didn't look good for the program that he said that). I'm with you. There are a lot of people I would like to see come back as a GA, but he's not one of them. I agree with you.
Spurrier Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #88
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 490
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
If he's one of your favorite players then keep your garnet goggles on ... that's fine. Still doesn't change that he was all about him and not the team (again, by what HE said in Memphis)

And I used one game ... that was NOT the only time he missed any tackles ... I believe he was accountable for at least one of the huge TD plays Houston hit on us just before the half in the Liberty Bowl too ... but then again ... I guess missread after missread after bad angle after diving for a shoe strings means he gave it his all.
Yeah my wife and i saw him on Beale St after the Liberty Bowl.Very Cocky guy. Not a person who i would want to teach college kids discipline and mentor them! But i didnt hear him dogging SOS!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #89
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

I don't understand all this hate. Did he make some poor decisions, sure, but nothing awful.

As far as him complaining about changing positions etc., I might actually agree with him. He did what was best for the team at the detriment of him being able to develop and excel at any given position for very long. Plus having a staff change and still being a contributing part is important too.

As far as his attitude, I don't know the dude, but even if he was cocky and a me first kind of guy I'm pretty sure the past couple of years bouncing around Canada and arenas may have let a little wind out of his sails.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #90
FeartheSpur
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 717
FeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPit

I think he will be able to relate to recruits if nothing else....this could be a big bonus having a former player who is closer to their age
FeartheSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #91
AikenRooster2112
4-Star

Male

AikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his combAikenRooster2112 is developing his comb

I think Spurrier loves Newton because he was a ball player and could flat out execute at any position. One of the best players we had early in the Spurrier era and he was personally responsible for winning what few games we did win. Spurrier is bringing him back because he is a winner.
AikenRooster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #92
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Some serious ignorance on display in this thread.

That being said, I'm glad he's getting a shot back home. Cocky? It's called youth and swagger people. Call him what you want, but never say he was anything less than a fierce Gamecock.

When Spurrier came on board, it was Syvelle who didn't believe he was going to be able to play QB for such a prolific coach known for the fun-n-gun, so HE requested the move the WR. After all the QB crap we went through that first year under Spurrier, Syvelle was moved back to QB out of necessity. Spurrier said himself in after thought that he wishes he wouldn't have ever let Syvelle move from QB in the first place. That Syvelle was very talented and threw a beautiful ball.

Lost his 4.4 speed due to his injury playing QB? What total BS. His achilles injury was a freak accident while scoring a TD against Vandy and had a blocker fall down backwards on him in the endzone. Could have happened anywhere on the field, at ANY position. Yes, he may have lost a step after that, but seriously, Syvelle never possessed 4.4 speed. Very quick and shifty, yes, but never 4.4 break-away ability.

His move to DB was because of his desire to play at the next level, and the move to DB was done IN HIS BEST INTEREST because it was advised that his best shot to play in the NFL would be in the secondary.

Hope he can get it together degree-wise and make it back in some capacity. A couple years here under the Spurrier's tutelage and he'll be ready to start his career path in coaching.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #93
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Newton was just never the same after he tore his achilles.
If he stayed healthy, I think he could've been a dynamic receiver/tailback for us.

I'm sure he will be on the staff as a GA...I doubt he has his masters yet...and he is probably going back to school to get it so he can be a coach one day.

When will you people learn, Spurrier has an eye for talent, and if he thinks Syvelle can help, then we should trust him.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #94
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post

That being said, I'm glad he's getting a shot back home. Cocky? It's called youth and swagger people. Call him what you want, but never say he was anything less than a fierce Gamecock.

When Spurrier came on board, it was Syvelle who didn't believe he was going to be able to play QB for such a prolific coach known for the fun-n-gun, so HE requested the move the WR. After all the QB crap we went through that first year under Spurrier, Syvelle was moved back to QB out of necessity. Spurrier said himself in after thought that he wishes he wouldn't have ever let Syvelle move from QB in the first place. That Syvelle was very talented and threw a beautiful ball.

Lost his 4.4 speed due to his injury playing QB? What total BS. His achilles injury was a freak accident while scoring a TD against Vandy and had a blocker fall down backwards on him in the endzone. Could have happened anywhere on the field, at ANY position. Yes, he may have lost a step after that, but seriously, Syvelle never possessed 4.4 speed. Very quick and shifty, yes, but never 4.4 break-away ability.

His move to DB was because of his desire to play at the next level, and the move to DB was done IN HIS BEST INTEREST because it was advised that his best shot to play in the NFL would be in the secondary.

Hope he can get it together degree-wise and make it back in some capacity. A couple years here under the Spurrier's tutelage and he'll be ready to start his career path in coaching.
Exactly.
Syvelle made a mistake..who hasn't...it is not like he hit someone with a jetski or threw someone down stairs.

I'm sure he has changed and matured since leaving the school.
And you are right on how his career took turns here.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #95
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:

Serious ignorance...I could not have said it any better myself.
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #96
surfinchicken1974
deadhead w/ the bedhead

Male

surfinchicken1974 has feathers coming insurfinchicken1974 has feathers coming insurfinchicken1974 has feathers coming in

cause no one EVER makes mistakes in college, ...give the guy a shot
Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #97
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm only going to address this part of your post because everything else you said was just a repeat of what others, including me, have already said.

MAY have lost a step? You need to stop slinging around words like ignorant if you can't even acknowledge Syvelle lost a ton of speed after the achilles injury. It was obvious and there is no "MAY HAVE" about it. After the injury he was slow for even a college safety and it showed on many plays.

Before the injury Syvelle had many big plays and frequently outran defenders. After the injury he just wasn't the same. He could still side step defenders in the pocket but he couldn't pull away in the open field like he did before. When I say 4.4 I mean below 4.5 or in the 4.4's. I know recruiting sites aren't always accurate but this link shows he was a 4.4 guy out of high school.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=223014

No matter what his speed was to start with Syvelle lost a lot of speed after the injury and that was obvious to anyone who watched him play. The hits you take as a dual threat QB with poor pass protection far outweigh the ones taken at safety or WR. It's easy to see why Syvelle might conclude he took more hits and therefore was at greater risk with more opportunities for injury by playing QB.

I'm not condoning him bitching about it, if he did, because in the end he could have always said no to playing QB. Being a "team player" means accepting that risk and not blaming people after the fact. If he wasn't a team player then he should have just said no to start with.

Serious ignorance would be claiming Syvelle "may have" lost speed. It's just a fact that he did and it hurt his potential of making an NFL team.

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #98
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75CarolinaFan View Post
I'm only going to address this part of your post because everything else you said was just a repeat of what others, including me, have already said.

MAY have lost a step? You need to stop slinging around words like ignorant if you can't even acknowledge Syvelle lost a ton of speed after the achilles injury. It was obvious and there is no "MAY HAVE" about it. After the injury he was slow for even a college safety and it showed on many plays.

Before the injury Syvelle had many big plays and frequently outran defenders. After the injury he just wasn't the same. He could still side step defenders in the pocket but he couldn't pull away in the open field like he did before. When I say 4.4 I mean below 4.5 or in the 4.4's. I know recruiting sites aren't always accurate but this link shows he was a 4.4 guy out of high school.

No matter what his speed was to start with Syvelle lost a lot of speed after the injury and that was obvious to anyone who watched him play. The hits you take as a dual threat QB with poor pass protection far outweigh the ones taken at safety or WR. It's easy to see why Syvelle might conclude he took more hits and therefore was at greater risk with more opportunities for injury by playing QB.

I'm not condoning him bitching about it, if he did, because in the end he could have always said no to playing QB. Being a "team player" means accepting that risk and not blaming people after the fact. If he wasn't a team player then he should have just said no to start with.

Serious ignorance would be claiming Syvelle "may have" lost speed. It's just a fact that he did and it hurt his potential of making an NFL team.
The way his injury took place, making a sharp cut at the goal line in the Vandy game (not as was claimed above when someone fell on him), could have happened at any position.

If SN complained about the move back to QB, it was probably because he never got the chance to establish his skills at a position he would play at the next level.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #99
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
The way his injury took place, making a sharp cut at the goal line in the Vandy game (not as was claimed above when someone fell on him), could have happened at any position.
"Newton said in a statement that he thought somebody jumped on his foot in the end zone. "I don't know if it was celebrating or not," he said."

My memory may be bad, but I could swear a big lineman fell on him, or maybe stepped on him, but the injury was due to that and not making a cut.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories...sc_14819.shtml
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #100
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75CarolinaFan View Post

I'm just going to address all of your post with 'Eh, whatever'. You're entitled to your opinion. Yes, he did lose a step, but I don't remember ever seeing Syvelle pull away from defenders in the open field BEFORE his injury. He was quick, shifty. I guess our individual interpretations of 'pulling away' are different. That link also lists him at 6-2. Syvelle may have been 5-11/6 ft, but if you want to buy into recruiting site stats, fine. And by 'ignorance' I was addressing the character assassins.

Last edited by Cockholio; 01-16-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Cockholio is offline   Reply With Quote