CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
Gamecocks1137
Garnetnblack99
GarnetSwarm1990
U-Dub Gamecock
Regalcock
roosterdude21
markp_vip
WeStillOwnUSC
TRBTB
Morris to SMU (6265)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (2185)
Clemson fans (1764)
Carolina on a Walmar (1448)
Venables to TAMU? (1349)
Vegas line moving on (952)
Game simulation (942)
End of the aTm / LSU (675)
Women's Soccer Elite (665)
Have we been favored (517)
Arkansas...
Venables to TAMU?
marshall/WKU
Vegas line moving on game
Have we been favored in e
BIG PROBLEM! JUST REALIZE
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Texans getting frustrated
ray rice wins appeal
End of the aTm / LSU game

Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #61
Gamecock_girl_west
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
He was buying jeans before he flew out to the Passion 2013 Conference in Atlanta. That's fairly unusual, I think. Of course, we could perhaps have a pic of him partying like A J McCarron.
AJ McCarron just won back to back BCS games. If a picture of him partying is the worst thing about him, who cares. All I care about is that we have good players on the field who keep their noses clean off the field. If they party/ memorize the Bible on their off time, that's fine. Just don't do anything stupid and play hard.

I'll even throw Manziel in that mix. Sure he had a disorderly conduct in the spring, but if he stays clean, has fun and plays hard then good for him. A person's faith or lack thereof has no bearing on their football skills.

I think that it is great that Dylan has committed to this undertaking. However, I also understand the issue that some had with Tebow using his position as UF QB to promote his personal faith. It is a fine line to walk as a representative of the University between promoting your faith and alienating some who may be turned off by it. Would we welcome a player who praises Allah or the Flying Spaghetti Monster in the post game presser for his abilities?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #62
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-CtJ...yer_detailpage

Marcus Lattimore recites his verse, Jeremiah 29:11, on TheBibleOutLoud. The verse is especially appropriate for him, I think.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #63
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

I posted my own verse last night at The Bible Out Loud.

Here is Dylan Thompson with his lady quoting from Colossians chapter 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eDvXiHPk1TI

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #64
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Ladies and gentlemen, this forum is about our football team, it so happens that at this point in time our football team is made up of a good number of young men who's religious beliefs happen to play a large part in their lives. If it is not something you care to hear and you cannot respond respectfully as per board guidelines, please feel free to hit the back button.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #65
TStone
Grammar Nazi

Male

Pumpkin Contest: Winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest - Given for: Pumpkin Contest 
CockyCash: 4535
TStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot material
Default Moral Character and a Strong Football Program

The reason I am posting this in the CockPit is because this is a testament to the strength of leadership we have on our football team. I know a lot has been said about Marcus Lattimore's moral character and how he has rubbed off on the team. It is good to know that even though Marcus is moving on we still have several strong leaders with high moral fiber and strength of character. Because of this I know we will continue to improve as a team. I honestly believe that our successes the past two years are due to a mentality change among our players that drive them to do good. It is almost like our success is directly proportional to the number of kids who get in trouble. Fewer incidents means more wins.

The BibleOutloud is a program started by Dylan Thompson to have people read the entire bible, in videos. Supporters include Michael Roth, Bruce Ellington, Marcus Lattimore, Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner, Florida player Trey Burton, and Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Brady Quinn. The website is pretty neat: http://thebibleoutloud.com/

Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #66
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material
Default Re: Moral Character and a Strong Football Program

Pretty dang neat. Never heard of it before - thanks for posting.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #67
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

I have gotten into some pretty "heated" arguments with members of
this and a couple of other boards for pretty much voicing my opinion
about the Lack of Moral courage with this team over the past decade+.
There is always going to be a group of kids who treat Sports and part of
being a Team, the same way they do authority in other life situations
(Family, School, Law Enforcement local leaders etc...), However, My main
issues have been that the LEADERS of this team over the past 12-14 years
have those kinds of authority issues, and lack of personal priorities and
disipline, and as a result, they failed to put their team mates, and the team's
Coaches and admin ahead of themselves. Trouble on and off the field as
well as in the classroom became common for us to hear and read about
in the local news, and we scratched our heads, and racked our brains to
understand why this team seemed to be on the verge of doing some
great things, but just couldn't get "over the hump". This started to change
about 3 -4 years ago. We started hearing less and less about off the field
troubles, and more about a few of our guys stepping up to be good
kids on and off the field, and working with their team mates to be that kind
of player / person as well. Now we have a group of upperclassmen who
were those guys, and who are our team Leaders. It is no surprise to me
personally, that this team is experiancing its greatest stretch of success
now, with so many of our high visibility leaders being guys with strong
moral values. Whether that be from a tight knit community in their lives,
or a close loving family, or from their religious faith and personal convictions
within it. Most cases, if you have one of the above, you have all or most
of them growing up. Guys now like Dylan Thompson, DJ Swearinger,
Connor Shaw, Justice Cunningham, TJ Johnson, Marcus Lattimore and
several others whose lives we've followed as a member of this team, and
who were / are not affraid to let their history of moral stability be a
tool to help others now. When your leaders have no other way but to
lead by the lessons they've learned in their lives, it should not surprise
us that success from them as well as the others they've guided is
growing, and replacing that program that couldn't seem to get over the hump.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #68
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 57400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=186396&page=4
Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #69
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

I think I remember Tommy Beecher being an outspoken Christian too, and Lawrence Taylor smoked crack in the locker room.

Which one is in the HoF?

When UGA was going 7-6 was Mark Richt any less of a Christian than he has been the last two seasons?

Being a Christian will not make you a better football player or leader.

However, if attending bible study somehow makes our team more successful on the football field, then I am all for it.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #70
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Whether you are a christian or not, believe in God or not, whatever-

Having members of our athletic teams be outspoken Christians in no way HURTS the team. If anything, the added moral obligations they are imposing on themselves helps raise the moral character of the team, if only because they are raising it in themselves (as I see the team being an average of all the players). If friendships develop and they hang out after practice, or even being living examples during practice of holding themselves to higher standards and working harder, then it's a good thing for the team, again, regardless of what your personal beliefs are.

Even if I was an atheist Clemson fan, I'd be fine with having a bunch of Christians on the team - to help prevent off the field problems.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #71
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I think I remember Tommy Beecher being an outspoken Christian too, and Lawrence Taylor smoked crack in the locker room.

Which one is in the HoF?

When UGA was going 7-6 was Mark Richt any less of a Christian than he has been the last two seasons?

Being a Christian will not make you a better football player or leader.

However, if attending bible study somehow makes our team more successful on the football field, then I am all for it.
First off, thats a horrible comparison. Secondly, being a Christian doesnt make you a better football you're correct. But what it does, is instills discipline and principle into a player. The bible is an entire book on how to be a leader. Look at some of the most outspoken Christians in the NFL, Ray Lewis, Tim Tebow, Kurt Warner, all three of those guys were the leaders in the locker room. Players see other players doing the right thing, and it infects everyone. Character is the start of leadership.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #72
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
First off, thats a horrible comparison. Secondly, being a Christian doesnt make you a better football you're correct. But what it does, is instills discipline and principle into a player. The bible is an entire book on how to be a leader. Look at some of the most outspoken Christians in the NFL, Ray Lewis, Tim Tebow, Kurt Warner, all three of those guys were the leaders in the locker room. Players see other players doing the right thing, and it infects everyone. Character is the start of leadership.
Not touching the whole Christian/Non Christian deal. However, if you're going to talk about leaders and players doing things the right way, please don't include someone who has had to throw out a bloody suit in order to cover up his involvement in a murder.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #73
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

We have a higher ratio of higher character guys now, guys that are leaders. Christian or not that's what matters, and why we're seeing different results on the field.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #74
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
We have a higher ratio of higher character guys now, guys that are leaders. Christian or not that's what matters, and why we're seeing different results on the field.
Amen
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #75
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 800
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

I like the idea that we are trading "characters" for players with character.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #76
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I have gotten into some pretty "heated" arguments with members of
this and a couple of other boards for pretty much voicing my opinion
about the Lack of Moral courage with this team over the past decade+.
There is always going to be a group of kids who treat Sports and part of
being a Team, the same way they do authority in other life situations
(Family, School, Law Enforcement local leaders etc...), However, My main
issues have been that the LEADERS of this team over the past 12-14 years
have those kinds of authority issues, and lack of personal priorities and
disipline, and as a result, they failed to put their team mates, and the team's
Coaches and admin ahead of themselves. Trouble on and off the field as
well as in the classroom became common for us to hear and read about
in the local news, and we scratched our heads, and racked our brains to
understand why this team seemed to be on the verge of doing some
great things, but just couldn't get "over the hump". This started to change
about 3 -4 years ago. We started hearing less and less about off the field
troubles, and more about a few of our guys stepping up to be good
kids on and off the field, and working with their team mates to be that kind
of player / person as well. Now we have a group of upperclassmen who
were those guys, and who are our team Leaders. It is no surprise to me
personally, that this team is experiancing its greatest stretch of success
now, with so many of our high visibility leaders being guys with strong
moral values. Whether that be from a tight knit community in their lives,
or a close loving family, or from their religious faith and personal convictions
within it. Most cases, if you have one of the above, you have all or most
of them growing up. Guys now like Dylan Thompson, DJ Swearinger,
Connor Shaw, Justice Cunningham, TJ Johnson, Marcus Lattimore and
several others whose lives we've followed as a member of this team, and
who were / are not affraid to let their history of moral stability be a
tool to help others now. When your leaders have no other way but to
lead by the lessons they've learned in their lives, it should not surprise
us that success from them as well as the others they've guided is
growing, and replacing that program that couldn't seem to get over the hump.
Quite simply, Spurt, thank you for the most perceptive post I've ever read on this site and please give me the privlege of allowing your words to do my talking for me on this subject.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #77
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphilip View Post
edited lol

jk
Man You tasteless... Get a life

Last edited by Spurticus; 01-18-2013 at 10:01 AM.
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #78
Mootsman
Walk On

Male

Mootsman has hatched from the shell

This is interesting.
Mootsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #79
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
Not touching the whole Christian/Non Christian deal. However, if you're going to talk about leaders and players doing things the right way, please don't include someone who has had to throw out a bloody suit in order to cover up his involvement in a murder.
So you are saying a person can't make a mistake or put himself in a bad position. Recover and learn from that ordeal and then become a leader with moral character and a rebuilt image? Interesting.

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #80
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
So you are saying a person can't make a mistake or put himself in a bad position. Recover and learn from that ordeal and then become a leader with moral character and a rebuilt image? Interesting.
I think that people can. Do I think Ray Lewis did? No. He rolled on his friends to keep his ass out of jail and then started preaching about Jesus to keep the endorsement money.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote