CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Acockolypse Now
GarnetInChicago
My predictions for 2 (778)
An Aggies View of th (603)
Tennessee (383)
SEC Recruiting Advan (311)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (298)
Clowney in Practice (272)
Camp scheduled relea (196)
Question on Student (195)
Galaxy vs Seatle (167)
NCAA Concussion Sett (146)
2015 Commitment - Davon D
Question on Student Secti
2016 - Brandon McIlwain
Hello Gamecocks!
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
Ced Cooper's 40 Time
2015 - Zack Bailey
An Aggies View of the Mat
FIFA 14 on PS3
Clemson Recruiting...how

Old 01-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #21
Erik
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Erik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPit
Default Re: LCD vs LED TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
IMO Samsung is the only brand you should be looking at if you're buying LCD/LED.
Love my Samsung LED/LCD. Got one of the 1st on the East coast. Pre-ordered the 1st series to come out, 2 weeks before the scheduled release got a call from Best Buy saying that they had one come in into their warehouse and wanted to know if I wanted it. Had it delivered and installed the next day. Been in love with it ever since.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
mpilot0705
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 498700
mpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

For the record if you are looking at any of the LG tv's they use the same stuff as most of the Insignia's and Vizio's. I have one Vizio and one LG that are 4+ years old and both still work great. Just pisses me off I paid almost 1,000 for my 42" and now I can get an awesome unit for that much. I'll be buying something a little bigger for the living room at some point this year I think.

Edit to add:

From what I understand, outside of the really high end units there are only a few companies that actually manufacture the LCD screens. I know that was a the case 3-4 years ago and I assume not much has changed. With that in mind there are some store brands out there that are in essence high end tv's in a house branded package, but some house/smaller brands are crap so do your research.

Last edited by mpilot0705; 01-18-2013 at 01:04 PM.
mpilot0705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

We just got the 60' Vizio Ultra Thin Smart TV and it is KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The clearity of this thing is insane. It literally makes watching tv shows "weird" because you can see so much depth. It's the closest to a 3D tv you will get without a 3D tv. We got it a few weeks ago, so I haven't been able to watch a football game yet, but watching Basketball games is AWESOME!!!!!

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #24
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

CockyCash: 500
davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

50" LG Plasma. Looks great in my living room.

For the bedroom, we have had a Vizio 32" LCD for a little over 3 years now. It is still going strong. It even suffered some water damage, and it came through just fine.

Vizio is a great economical brand.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 25308312
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

I have a 42" plasma and I prefer it over LCD. But I am fond of LED.

Now, granted, I'm not familiar with the high end stuff, like what cack is screaming about over there.
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #26
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Personal preference, but I always think the picture looks better on Plasmas
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #27
5150harley
Sandlapper Pools

Male

5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material

If you don't already have high definition (HD) that makes a huge difference in the picture with LCD or LED.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #28
#TeamCocks
Class of 2014

Male

CockyCash: 111473748
#TeamCocks is crowing loudly#TeamCocks is crowing loudly#TeamCocks is crowing loudly#TeamCocks is crowing loudly#TeamCocks is crowing loudly#TeamCocks is crowing loudly#TeamCocks is crowing loudly#TeamCocks is crowing loudly#TeamCocks is crowing loudly#TeamCocks is crowing loudly#TeamCocks is crowing loudly

Plasmas will burn an image in your screen if you pause TV or leave a game paused for a while or if you leave it on the guide it will burn the grid into the screen. Led and LCD do not have this problem I prefer led. Don't go grammer crazy on me I'm on my phone and don't feel like correcting all that stuff
Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #29
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by #TeamCocks View Post
Plasmas will burn an image in your screen if you pause TV or leave a game paused for a while or if you leave it on the guide it will burn the grid into the screen. Led and LCD do not have this problem I prefer led. Don't go grammer crazy on me I'm on my phone and don't feel like correcting all that stuff
Burn-in always goes away pretty quickly. You also can barely notice it. It is almost impossible for an image to burn in permanently.

LCD TVs can have burn-in also.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
50" LG Plasma. Looks great in my living room.

That's what I have. The 50 inch LG. They're pretty damn cheap too and the picture is rediculous. Panny's are supposed to have better blacks but you pay for it. You don't have to worry about burn in on modern plasmas unless you like really abused it and didn't turn on the stuff to keep it from burning in. The viewing angles on plasma kills LCD, LED all that shiz. The only real drawbacks are the glare and the weight. If you're doing it in a bright room and want to be able to watch at any time you wouldn't want a plasma.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #31
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 25308312
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
That's what I have. The 50 inch LG. They're pretty damn cheap too and the picture is rediculous. Panny's are supposed to have better blacks but you pay for it. You don't have to worry about burn in on modern plasmas unless you like really abused it and didn't turn on the stuff to keep it from burning in. The viewing angles on plasma kills LCD, LED all that shiz. The only real drawbacks are the glare and the weight. If you're doing it in a bright room and want to be able to watch at any time you wouldn't want a plasma.
I have my plasma turned into the corner away from windows, so you can avoid glare if you have a shady corner.
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #32
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

I still haven't bought one for the bedroom yet. I was going to wait until Super Bowl week to see if I can catch any good sales.
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #33
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_yogi View Post
I still haven't bought one for the bedroom yet. I was going to wait until Super Bowl week to see if I can catch any good sales.
Really, really happy with the Vizio I got for the bedroom. It is much better than the larger Sony in the living room.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #34
GREENVILLE COCKPIT
Injured Reserved

Male

CockyCash: 32257
GREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPit
Wink Re: LCD vs LED TV

Quote:
Go to your nearest hhgregg store and get you a LG LED. They have 30 day price guarantee, so if the price drops Super Bowl weekend you get a refund. Worked there in Greenville up till a year ago. Had a customer 2 or 3 years ago come back twice because of reduced price.. Saved about 3 or 4 hundred dollars,, course he was happy, but it ate up my commision,,, oh well. Cool guy though, he knew it tore my commission up so he brought me a dinner certificate for two at a really fine restaurant.
I watched LG come from a low tier tv to what I think is the best on the market, also there was a lot more profit in them so we could make better deals. If you talk with your salesperson right trust me they will make a deal !!!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #35
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
IMO Samsung is the only brand you should be looking at if you're buying LCD/LED.
I beg to differ.

I have a Sony Bravia 55" LED that I will put up vs any Samsung for picture quality. Its the only TV with a 960HZ refresh rate and infinite contrast ratio. This tv puts out brilliant whites and deep blacks that are noticeably higher in quality than other LED TVs.

However I do like Samsung. Got one in the bedroom and another upstairs in the guest room. Both have excellent picture (LCD) and never gave me any problems.
jayceecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #36
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceecock View Post
I beg to differ.

I have a Sony Bravia 55" LED that I will put up vs any Samsung for picture quality. Its the only TV with a 960HZ refresh rate and infinite contrast ratio. This tv puts out brilliant whites and deep blacks that are noticeably higher in quality than other LED TVs.

However I do like Samsung. Got one in the bedroom and another upstairs in the guest room. Both have excellent picture (LCD) and never gave me any problems.
You do know that Sony buys their LED panels from Samsung right?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #37
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Have a LG 55'' led smart tv and its pretty nice.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #38
papasmurf
Starter

Male

2013 FOOTBALL PICKEM: 2013 FOOTBALL PICKEM - Given for: Winning 2013 Football Pickem 2010 Football Pickem: 2010 Football Pickem - Given for: 2010 Football Pickem 
CockyCash: 80000
papasmurf is USC mascot materialpapasmurf is USC mascot materialpapasmurf is USC mascot materialpapasmurf is USC mascot materialpapasmurf is USC mascot materialpapasmurf is USC mascot materialpapasmurf is USC mascot materialpapasmurf is USC mascot materialpapasmurf is USC mascot materialpapasmurf is USC mascot materialpapasmurf is USC mascot material

Quote:
What is the benefit of going LED over LCD?
LCD is the display-Liquid Crystal Display, LED is the backlight-Light Emitting Diode,your cable or sat box tries to upconvert the signal(most broadcast are below 720p),bluerays can have 1080 progressive scan and high definition sound if you have the equipment that will decode it.

LED's may have higher contrast and deeper blacks. Look for a TV that looks good to you and fits your budget. Use your search engine to look for prices and read the consumer reviews to determine pros and cons of the model you selected.(you may find some models have serious faults and are not reliable)
Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #39
mike1520
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2000
mike1520 is sharpening his clawsmike1520 is sharpening his clawsmike1520 is sharpening his clawsmike1520 is sharpening his claws

UHD/4k the next new wave of TV's
mike1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #40
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
You do know that Sony buys their LED panels from Samsung right?
Let's be a little more precise.

S-LCD was established on April 26th 2004 by an equal joint investment by Samsung and Sony dedicated to the manufacturing of amorphous TFT LCD panels for LCD TVs targeting mass production to begin in the first half of 2005.

Samsung owns 50% (+1 share) and Sony owns 50% (-1 share)

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to share vendors. Do you think every component on a Samsung is manufactured by Samsung? Guess again.
jayceecock is offline   Reply With Quote