CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Spurrier_Superior_On
18IsTheMan
b381l
Order 66
catdaddy66
Clowneygotcha
NinjaSven
GoldenSpur7
gadeneer1986
Looking ahead to UGA (3243)
My Observations Abou (2858)
Gurley lined up to t (1529)
Who else wants to se (1416)
Kelcy and Victor Ham (1084)
How far do we fall.. (1052)
Shaq Roland (1032)
I Am Ashamed (956)
Shon Carson at KR (853)
Time to quit crying. (625)
I Am Ashamed
Seems like a lot of troll
2015 Commitment - Michael
Should be interesting in
How far do we fall...
Confused fan here. Why i
Step back from the ledge
Looking ahead to UGA
Gurley lined up to take U
Who else wants to see Con

Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dave Ramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
The problem with people like Dave Ramsey is that he fails to recognize many people are not in debt because they get coffee from Starbucks everyday...they're in debt because of an unforeseen expense...a hospital stay, losing a job, whatever.
Have you listened to, or read anything by him? Or, have you just heard what others have said about him?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post
Have you listened to, or read anything by him? Or, have you just heard what others have said about him?
I've listened to his show on XM.

I have not purchased his books or CDs. Afterall, that is a luxury that I can use the money towards paying down my debt!

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #23
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

CockyCash: 200
stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I've listened to his show on satellite radio (when I'm in a rental for business trips that have satellite radio...afterall, I'm sure he'd encourage his users to NOT have such a frivolous luxury! haha)

I've just found his stuff to be kinda...obvious? At least his 'get out of debt' advise. I never really got much out of it.
his show and his class are 2 different things, and he does not encourage users to not have frivolous luxuries, as long as they can pay for them.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #24
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I've listened to his show on XM.

I have not purchased his books or CDs. Afterall, that is a luxury that I can use the money towards paying down my debt!

would you like a free copy of his book (financial peace)?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #25
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffolcock View Post
his show and his class are 2 different things, and he does not encourage users to not have frivolous luxuries, as long as they can pay for them.
But so long as I have a mortgage, why would he think it'd be a good idea to have any sort of frivolous luxuries? Doesnt that contradict his whole message (at least the one he preaches on his show, aside from his commercials of course)
Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

Quote:
But so long as I have a mortgage, why would he think it'd be a good idea to have any sort of frivolous luxuries? Doesnt that contradict his whole message (at least the one he preaches on his show, aside from his commercials of course)
no, it doesnt. you actually dont pay off the mortgage until baby step 5 i think. he pushes budgeting. if you want to pay off the house in 10 weeks, he has no problem with that. entertainment is in the budget.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
no, it doesnt. you actually dont pay off the mortgage until baby step 5 i think. he pushes budgeting. if you want to pay off the house in 10 weeks, he has no problem with that. entertainment is in the budget.
Sounds like he suggests strategies I already employ.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

Quote:
that is good on you. you are ahead of 99% of the people that have debt. if you wish, meet up at wildwings before the spring game, i will bring sneez, maybe 2000grad and my copy of the book.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #29
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Then keep on keeping on.

His advice is still valid, nonetheless.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

Quote:
Then keep on keeping on.

His advice is still valid, nonetheless.
i loved the class. the "dealing with debt collectors" was pretty informative. actually got to pass that on to a friend of mine that was in a bad situation, he is paying his bills, but with none of the stress he was having. liked the finding deals chapter too.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #31
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I like him. Most of what he says is common sense, which is why some don't seem to understand him very well. Things like if you make 100k, don't go buy a 500k house and a 75k car.....don't overextend yourself with debt. If you do that, the rest is easy. Also, make sure to fund your 401(k) or IRA each year.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #32
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

Quote:
i loved the class. the "dealing with debt collectors" was pretty informative. actually got to pass that on to a friend of mine that was in a bad situation, he is paying his bills, but with none of the stress he was having. liked the finding deals chapter too.
That's awesome.

I think some people believe that Dave came up with some new-fangled way to make more money. He doesn't do that. He simply gives you a plan to put in place that helps you mange the money you already have. It's honestly pretty basic and common sense stuff for the most part. But knowing that to do and having a plan in place and actually putting what you know into practice are two very different things.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #33
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I like him. Most of what he says is common sense, which is why some don't seem to understand him very well. Things like if you make 100k, don't go buy a 500k house and a 75k car.....don't overextend yourself with debt. If you do that, the rest is easy. Also, make sure to fund your 401(k) or IRA each year.
financial sense is not taught in highschool. Home Ec classes need to be revamped to teach kids to deal with everyday crap like finances, buying car insurance/home insurance, etc, not baking muffins. i had to learn on my own how to let money run me instead of the other way around.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #34
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Honestly, I've done all 7 of these and never read these tips from Ramsey. I did read the one about paying off debt after I already started doing it years ago.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #35
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

Quote:
That's awesome.

I think some people believe that Dave came up with some new-fangled way to make more money. He doesn't do that. He simply gives you a plan to put in place that helps you mange the money you already have. It's honestly pretty basic and common sense stuff for the most part. But knowing that to do and having a plan in place and actually putting what you know into practice are two very different things.
i think the biggest thing is that people with money problems have no idea where it is going. have to do a budget, and balance the damn check book. then you cut out the bad spending.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #36
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Honestly, I've done all 7 of these and never read these tips from Ramsey. I did read the one about paying off debt after I already started doing it years ago.
he did not come up with the steps, he just packaged it a different way that some people like.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #37
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

The only plan I ever use

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #38
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfan2001 View Post
Getting rid of debt. His Total Money Makeover book was an eye opener and a quick read. It helps you develop a gameplan instead of winging it. I did everything he suggested. I sold my truck, paid $800 for a car with 208K miles on it and two years later I'm still driving it. It has almost 244K on it now. I used to struggle with money around Christmas time and use credit cards to buy gifts, now I pay cash for the gifts and have no credit cards. It really gives you peace.
There's nothing wrong with credit cards if you know how to use them. I use them every month. However, I pay off the balance every month and never carry any debt.

It's not the credit cards that are evil. It's not knowing how to manage your money and spending more than you have. The credit card itself is not the issue.

I actually have no idea what my credit card interest rates are. Why? Because they are irrelevant when you spend only what you have and pay off the balance every month.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #39
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
i think the biggest thing is that people with money problems have no idea where it is going. have to do a budget, and balance the damn check book. then you cut out the bad spending.
This is a side hobby for me. I've created a budget spreadsheet that ties to my checking account and includes anything I spend on credit card to give me my actual expenses measured against budget. I showed it to my CPA co-worker and it made her head spin :)
Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #40
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
There's nothing wrong with credit cards if you know how to use them. I use them every month. However, I pay off the balance every month and never carry any debt.

It's not the credit cards that are evil. It's not knowing how to manage your money and spending more than you have. The credit card itself is not the issue.

I actually have no idea what my credit card interest rates are. Why? Because they are irrelevant when you spend only what you have and pay off the balance every month.

Why do you even have a credit card then? Honest question. I've never had a credit card.