CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
Singaporecock
ReadR00ster
sporkgod50
usc1
2000grad
markp_vip
jrussjr
G&B
SCohioBoy
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Hillsborough (479)
Larenz Bryant update (459)
2015 - Chris Clark (425)
No.1 for 2016 has Ga (343)
UK's Whitlow to tran (269)
Bamberg High School (233)
GTA V online (224)
Its April 15th and i (173)
Joeckel Transfering (166)
A'ja Wilson
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Jameis Winston's Accuser
Larenz Bryant update?
response from charter abo
GTA V online
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
2015 - Emanuel McGirt
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
Joeckel Transfering from

Old 01-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #61
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad
Default Re: Dave Ramsey

People that dislike Dave Ramsey are the ones that have never listened to him. The man provides a lot of great advice and has helped thousands of people get out of debt.

The haters remind me of people that hate Rush Limbaugh. Ask them if they've ever listened to him and they'll tell you no.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #62
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffolcock View Post
financial sense is not taught in highschool. Home Ec classes need to be revamped to teach kids to deal with everyday crap like finances, buying car insurance/home insurance, etc, not baking muffins. i had to learn on my own how to let money run me instead of the other way around.
Most people get themselves into financial trouble because they use bad judgement and don't use proper restraint. But I do agree. Our education system doesn't teach kids all sorts of useful things they need to know regarding basic personal finance.....not surprising seeing how poor public education is in the US......also not surprising since most of the teachers and administrators don't know anything about it either.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #63
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Let's face it, the American economy as we know it would collapse if everyone were smart with money. How much of an industry is nothing but borrowed money and interest rates?
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #64
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

CockyCash: 200
stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
People that dislike Dave Ramsey are the ones that have never listened to him. The man provides a lot of great advice and has helped thousands of people get out of debt.

The haters remind me of people that hate Rush Limbaugh. Ask them if they've ever listened to him and they'll tell you no.
if ramsey was a loon, fake, insert slam here, why is he so good and successful. how would he stay in business with so many unsatisfied customers? strange.
he does use proverbs as a guide to financial behavior, some people cant take good advice because of its source.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #65
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Let's face it, the American economy as we know it would collapse if everyone were smart with money. How much of an industry is nothing but borrowed money and interest rates?
do you know when the first credit card came out and what it was? did you know that JCPenny when he was alive would not allow credit cards to be used in his store? to get away from credit would only help the consumer.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #66
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffolcock View Post
do you know when the first credit card came out and what it was? did you know that JCPenny when he was alive would not allow credit cards to be used in his store? to get away from credit would only help the consumer.
Preaching to the choir, buddy, I've gotten rid of credit cards long ago. But the majority of Americans get caught early in life and never get out.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #67
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

Quote:
Preaching to the choir, buddy, I've gotten rid of credit cards long ago. But the majority of Americans get caught early in life and never get out.
actually a funny lesson dave gives on that talking about college kids signing up for credit cards to get the free tee shirt. outstanding data on the way credit cards are marketed, i will see if i can dig up some of his numbers.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #68
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

There is a proper balance between borrowing and spending. Unfortunately, most younger people don't use good judgment/discipline and overspend, then go through the rest of their lives trying to get out of debt.....sadly for many, the only way it ever happens is when their parents die.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #69
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:

Money is created by interest on borrowed money.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #70
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
Money is created by interest on borrowed money.
Money is neither created or lost, it is just merely transferred. - Gordon Gekko

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #71
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Money is neither created or lost, it is just merely transferred. - Gordon Gekko
Correct. Wealth is created and lost.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #72
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post
Why do you even have a credit card then? Honest question. I've never had a credit card.
Have to have them to rent a car. Many will cover your damage waiver free too. Electronics get extended warranties with some. Got ripped off? You have recourse with a credit card. Add in reward points and you can have a great deal if you use them correctly. Also, you never know when you may have an appliance or car to break down. Unexpected medical bills happen to us all now and again. Having a credit card is a wise practice.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #73
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

He's highly patronizing and simplistic, but probably not harmful for his target audience. If you guys are looking for good "free" budgeting software, you might check out mint.com. There are others like it too, but intuit is pretty reputable as far as the security (certainly more than the SCDOR). You can set goals on there to eliminate debt, create and emergency fund and the like. The implicit fee is that they advertise services to you based on the data you give them. Also, Kiplinger's personal finance is a good publication. Probably cheaper than a course @ $12 per year for subscriptions. "Money" magazine might be a little better for total noobs, but you will quickly outgrow it.
LegalCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #74
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post

Bullshit. I think that you get better advice from the lesbian than Ramsey and that ain't saying much.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #75
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

LOL. True.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #76
scfan2001
I'm comin for u

Male

scfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudlyscfan2001 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
There's nothing wrong with credit cards if you know how to use them. I use them every month. However, I pay off the balance every month and never carry any debt.

It's not the credit cards that are evil. It's not knowing how to manage your money and spending more than you have. The credit card itself is not the issue.

I actually have no idea what my credit card interest rates are. Why? Because they are irrelevant when you spend only what you have and pay off the balance every month.
If you have it, then why use the card?
scfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #77
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Bald guys with goatees and glasses creep me out.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #78
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Have to have them to rent a car. Many will cover your damage waiver free too. Electronics get extended warranties with some. Got ripped off? You have recourse with a credit card. Add in reward points and you can have a great deal if you use them correctly. Also, you never know when you may have an appliance or car to break down. Unexpected medical bills happen to us all now and again. Having a credit card is a wise practice.
I've never had someone steal money and then run up ungodly bills on it in my name

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #79
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

I can see the cash-only thing working for a psychological perspective, especially if you use that voz-oxner lady's jar method, but i still think you should have some credit. Just a little. Even if you only put netflix on there and pay it off.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #80
Berry
Sherlock

Male

CockyCash: 17578666
Berry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Bullshit. I think that you get better advice from the lesbian than Ramsey and that ain't saying much.
Come on Yancey, give us some examples.