CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
BlackMagic84
doubledribble
Fight, win, kick a-- (1324)
The Gator Bowl wants (962)
Why I'm hopeful abou (941)
CFN prediction for a (917)
USC will upset Aubur (786)
A simple defensive l (766)
What happened to thi (696)
In-state QB talent (552)
This is War (399)
SEC Debate: Best can (340)
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Texas athletic director:
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Why I think we beat Aubur
In-state QB talent
A simple defensive line &
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Thoughts on the basketbal
Cann tipping plays?

Old 01-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #101
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007
Default Re: Moral Character and a Strong Football Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
Shouldn't he/she have other things to worry about than whether we are having success on the football field?
He worries about all of us and loves all of us...and does good for those that believe in him and follow him. Sometimes he uses things to get others to share his word and to get peoples attention and the morals and beliefs that this team shares has a lot to do with the good things that are happening in our program

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #102
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

So suprised this turned into a theology argument. That never happens banytime people who don't explicitely agree on every aspect of faith discuss religion.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #103
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
He worries about all of us and loves all of us...and does good for those that believe in him and follow him. Sometimes he uses things to get others to share his word and to get peoples attention and the morals and beliefs that this team shares has a lot to do with the good things that are happening in our program
So was the other guy right? Since he/she rewards those who serve. Was Alabama the most godly team this year?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #104
Clemson4life81
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 967
Clemson4life81 has earned his spursClemson4life81 has earned his spursClemson4life81 has earned his spursClemson4life81 has earned his spursClemson4life81 has earned his spursClemson4life81 has earned his spursClemson4life81 has earned his spurs

Quote:
So was the other guy right? Since he/she rewards those who serve. Was Alabama the most godly team this year?
Dylan Thompson has received a gift greater than any worldly gift. Eternal life and a relationship with Jesus Christ. That is His reward to us, and it can be yours too.
Clemson4life81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #105
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I want to go on record as saying that I agree with TStone's post. That is all

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #106
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson4life81 View Post
Dylan Thompson has received a gift greater than any worldly gift. Eternal life and a relationship with Jesus Christ. That is His reward to us, and it can be yours too.
Huh? What does that have to do with my question? I get that some of you feel a certain connection with those that share your beliefs. But giving all the credit for the recent success of this program to a select group of players beliefs is short sighted. It dismisses all the hard work and talents of those not as pronounced in their faith and those who do not share that faith at all.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #107
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Huh? What does that have to do with my question? I get that some of you feel a certain connection with those that share your beliefs. But giving all the credit for the recent success of this program to a select group of players beliefs is short sighted. It dismisses all the hard work and talents of those not as pronounced in their faith and those who do not share that faith at all.
Don't you realize those guys don't matter to them and that this is no longer a football discussion, but rather a place for everyone to stroke each other's faith egos?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #108
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
It's statements like above, that as a Christian, make me cringe.

Has God bestowed success on our football team b/c we have more Christians on our team than we have in the past, or have more than other teams?

If this is true,then we must conclude that Alabama, has the most Christians of any team in college football, and Nick Saban is the most Christian coach in College football.

Can Jewish or Hindu players win the Heisman? Or is that the sole domain of Christians as well?

Did God love Clemson more than USC for 100 years, and then suddenly change his mind? Or were Clemson players just better Christians and therefore, beat us more often?

Do I think that we have kids with a stronger work ethic on our team now? Yes.
Do I think a lot of that has to do with their relationship with God? Yes.
Do I think those two things are mutually exclusive? No.
I'm not comparing our program to another by who believes more or who has more christians...i'm simply saying the same thing you are saying here:

Do I think a lot of that has to do with their relationship with God? Yes

But my opinion and how i believe is all things good come through Him...does that mean that he loves another player more or another school more...no...do i think that God has blessed us with great moral players who stay grounded and represent our program very well and has in turn helped get us to where we are...yes!

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #109
Clemson4life81
4-Star

Male

Clemson4life81 has earned his spursClemson4life81 has earned his spursClemson4life81 has earned his spursClemson4life81 has earned his spursClemson4life81 has earned his spursClemson4life81 has earned his spursClemson4life81 has earned his spurs

Quote:
First of all, it isn't a belief. He is real without you believing in Him. It isn't some belief or man made religion.
Second, God gave Thompson his ability for one reason, and that is to bring people to Christ. A lot of people build an idol around football so I believe this is God's way of reaching out to those people and bringing them into His arms.
Third, God doesn't give crap about football. He put it here for our enjoyment, but it shouldn't be idolized.

Psalm 145:17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways and loving toward all he has made.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #110
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

If Dylan is the starter, we'll see what Spurrier's offense looked like at Florida. Dylan can lead Spurrier's offense that is not out of date and can and always will work.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #111
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

Quote:
First of all, it isn't a belief. He is real without you believing in Him. It isn't some belief or man made religion.
Second, God gave Thompson his ability for one reason, and that is to bring people to Christ. A lot of people build an idol around football so I believe this is God's way of reaching out to those people and bringing them into His arms.
Third, God doesn't give crap about football. He put it here for our enjoyment, but it shouldn't be idolized.

Psalm 145:17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways
and loving toward all he has made.
Listen I'm not trying to get into a theology debate. Obviously you are strong in your convictions. I just have a huge problem not giving credit to all the young men and instead giving all the credit to a select fews faith and if that is the case why doesn't clemson win national titles every year. They hold baptism at practice shouldn't that be a plus for them in gods eyes?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #112
GamecockSkip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Race for the Chase: Race for the Chase - Given for: 2007 Winner Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: 2007 winner Nascar Challenge: Nascar Challenge Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar 1st Segment 
CockyCash: 800
GamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot materialGamecockSkip is USC mascot material

Did CockyTalk get hacked by Westboro Baptist?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #113
Clemson4life81
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Listen I'm not trying to get into a theology debate. Obviously you are strong in your convictions. I just have a huge problem not giving credit to all the young men and instead giving all the credit to a select fews faith and if that is the case why doesn't clemson win national titles every year. They hold baptism at practice shouldn't that be a plus for them in gods eyes?
Like I said, God doesn't give a crap about football like us humans do. He doesn't care about it, period. He doesn't care if Alabama wins the National Championship. We care about it, so therefore He uses it as a tool for His kingdom (Like Thompson). And it isn't about what we do, it's about what He did at the cross. You can't work for His gifts, you ether accept them or willingly reject them. God loves everyone, even those who don't know him. He cares for everyone. After all, He gave His life for ALL MANKIND.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #114
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
... God loves everyone, even those who don't know him. He cares for everyone...

I'm not sure most Clemson fans share your feelings after the last four years.

WWJD - What Would Jadeveon Do?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #115
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

Quote:
Like I said, God doesn't give a crap about football like us humans do. He doesn't care about it, period. He doesn't care if Alabama wins the National Championship. We care about it, so therefore He uses it as a tool for His kingdom (Like Thompson). And it isn't about what we do, it's about what He did at the cross. You can't work for His gifts, you ether accept them or willingly reject them. God loves everyone, even those who don't know him. He cares for everyone. After all, He gave His life for ALL MANKIND.
Okay you are kinda going on a tangent that I don't wanna follow. There are many things to say on this matter but they do not belong here. My simple point and you pointed out here is that God doesn't care about football, then why give these young men's faith credit for our recent success, that was the only point I have tried to make on this subject. Individually they may get their work ethic from their faiths but it discounts the work ethic of the other players that do not share it is all I have tried to say.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #116
CockyVet
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockyVet is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
It's statements like above, that as a Christian, make me cringe.

Has God bestowed success on our football team b/c we have more Christians on our team than we have in the past, or have more than other teams?

If this is true,then we must conclude that Alabama, has the most Christians of any team in college football, and Nick Saban is the most Christian coach in College football.

Can Jewish or Hindu players win the Heisman? Or is that the sole domain of Christians as well?

Did God love Clemson more than USC for 100 years, and then suddenly change his mind? Or were Clemson players just better Christians and therefore, beat us more often?

Do I think that we have kids with a stronger work ethic on our team now? Yes.
Do I think a lot of that has to do with their relationship with God? Yes.
Do I think those two things are mutually exclusive? No.
You are now my favorite Christian in the whole world.
I was looking for a way to say this, but as an atheist I found it difficult to phrase it without coming across like a jerk about it. Despite my sincere desire to have an actual discussion about leadership, Christianity, and the confluence of the two and it's effect on a football team or any team. But before I write something on the matter, I have to state that I'm not trying flame, troll, or offend. Because of your statement, I didn't have to. Thanks.
CockyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #117
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

Quote:
Okay you are kinda going on a tangent that I don't wanna follow. There are many things to say on this matter but they do not belong here. My simple point and you pointed out here is that God doesn't care about football, then why give these young men's faith credit for our recent success, that was the only point I have tried to make on this subject. Individually they may get their work ethic from their faiths but it discounts the work ethic of the other players that do not share it is all I have tried to say.
Just give up. They're not discounting the others they're just glorifying the ones they agree with. Unless of course, if you happen to disagree about who should start somewhere, then you're putting the other guy down and not simply supporting your pick.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #118
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Here i his YT vid

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #119
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

God honors the prayers of His children, and I know Thompson prays every day because he has said that he does. While God may or may not care about football (I don't pretend to know the mind of God), He does answer Thompson's prayers about peace, confidence, and being given the chance to glorify Him. I think it's possible that God could also be honored when we lose if we have the right attitude.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #120
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

I believe god had nothing to do with our season.