CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
Spurticus
b381l
sanford
B-G
thekob
Rooster'srule
TAFC 5 1981
usc1
uscjeremynca
Lattimore Sidelined (1217)
Gurley or Davis (1152)
Expect A Healthy Dos (990)
Steve Spurrier - Say (931)
Coach's media golf p (524)
A house just blew up (460)
South Carolina Footb (409)
college football mat (406)
Minda Kacinas Q& (222)
Marines confront fak (178)
Green and Lammons
2015 - Mon Denson
iPhone repair
Gurley or Davis
Expect A Healthy Dose of
Dawg DL man arrested for
Texags
2014-15 Premier League se
Name a Gamecock
2015 - Christian Pellage

Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material
Default crazy number on connor shaw

his quarterback rating is 158.1 which finished 9th!!! in the nation. wow... ive been a huge dylan suuporter... but wow.. i did not know how good connors numbers really were. virtually 2000 yards (while being hurt a few games) 17 tds, and only 7 ints... wow.. hes our QB in my opinion
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs
Default Re: crazy number on connor shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHONGILMOREFAN! View Post
his quarterback rating is 158.1 which finished 9th!!! in the nation. wow... ive been a huge dylan suuporter... but wow.. i did not know how good connors numbers really were. virtually 2000 yards (while being hurt a few games) 17 tds, and only 7 ints... wow.. hes our QB in my opinion
Yeah, some will argue he doesn't throw it that much, and the numbers are skewed. But if you think about it, the less he throws, the more skewed they should be. He has literally done better by throwing less than half the passes of anyone else.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

that being said.. if you take connors number of throws (228) and add the throws taken by Dylan (127) and add it together you get about 350 throws. if you take his completion percentage a whopping 67.5 and use that same completion percentage he would have completed about 236 throws. if you multiply the number of throws by his hards per attempt (8.58) he would have thrown for over 3000 yards. i think that is pretty impressive numbers. you can say "well thats not how it went down" but one thing connor was is consistent and those numbers most likely would have happened. very impressive
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
Yeah, some will argue he doesn't throw it that much, and the numbers are skewed. But if you think about it, the less he throws, the more skewed they should be. He has literally done better by throwing less than half the passes of anyone else.
view the numbers below
Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
RAVEN
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
RAVEN is sharpening his clawsRAVEN is sharpening his clawsRAVEN is sharpening his clawsRAVEN is sharpening his clawsRAVEN is sharpening his claws

yep... however, when he's behind center, our receivers run lazy routes and ends up getting sacked or takes off to early. dylan spreads the field. end of debate
RAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN View Post
yep... however, when he's behind center, our receivers run lazy routes and ends up getting sacked or takes off to early. dylan spreads the field. end of debate
tennesee game.. arkansas game.. michigan.. they ran fine. sit down
Old 01-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
that being said.. if you take connors number of throws (228) and add the throws taken by Dylan (127) and add it together you get about 350 throws. if you take his completion percentage a whopping 67.5 and use that same completion percentage he would have completed about 236 throws. if you multiply the number of throws by his hards per attempt (8.58) he would have thrown for over 3000 yards. i think that is pretty impressive numbers. you can say "well thats not how it went down" but one thing connor was is consistent and those numbers most likely would have happened. very impressive
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly the type of thing I was talking about in another thread about hypothetical statistics being used to fuel an argument. The bottom line is this: we don't know what would've happened unless the throws had been taken by Shaw, and simply saying, "...those numbers most likely woud have happened," doesn't magically make it true. As I've said a number of times, I don't have a rooting interest in one QB or the other, but you should never fabricate statistics to try to make a point. May the best man for the position get the starting job!

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly the type of thing I was talking about in another thread about hypothetical statistics being used to fuel an argument. The bottom line is this: we don't know what would've happened unless the throws had been taken by Shaw, and simply saying, "...those numbers most likely woud have happened," doesn't magically make it true. As I've said a number of times, I don't have a rooting interest in one QB or the other, but you should never fabricate statistics to try to make a point. May the best man for the position get the starting job!
This is true, Dale Earnhardt Jr is one of the most consistent drivers out there, but he has yet to win a Championship at the major level.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
SN33Z
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 250
SN33Z is crowing loudlySN33Z is crowing loudlySN33Z is crowing loudlySN33Z is crowing loudlySN33Z is crowing loudlySN33Z is crowing loudlySN33Z is crowing loudlySN33Z is crowing loudlySN33Z is crowing loudlySN33Z is crowing loudlySN33Z is crowing loudly

MOST of these are high percentage, dump off passes. Show me a YAC stat and I'll think about "accepting it"...but the eye test tells me most of it was the receivers being shifty to gain YAC.
SN33Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
gamecockjay
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
This is true, Dale Earnhardt Jr is one of the most consistent drivers out there, but he has yet to win a Championship at the major level.
Jr does not win races either.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN33Z View Post
MOST of these are high percentage, dump off passes. Show me a YAC stat and I'll think about "accepting it"...but the eye test tells me most of it was the receivers being shifty to gain YAC.
Both Shaw and Thompson had solid QB eff. ratings.....Connor's was 158.07 which was 10th nationally (per NCAA, not 9th), and Dylan's was 142.73 (which would've been 37th had he met the minimum 15 attempts per game). Connor averaged 8.58 passing yds per attempt, compared to Dylan averaging 8.09 yds per att., which effectively kills the notion that Connor's passes are short little "dump-off" passes, and Dylan's are all big play bombs....

Since both Connor and Dylan threw to the same Gamecock receivers in 2012, the argument of YAC being slanted toward any QB over the other is therefore invalid. The argument above from another poster that somehow those receivers became lazy or incompetent when one QB is in the game as opposed when the other is in, immediately renders that poster's credibility to debate this topic nil......
Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
SwimCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

SwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN33Z View Post
Connor's Yards Per Attempt is also in the top 10 in the nation. Many other QBs benefit from YAC, but Connor also hit some long passes in stride.
SwimCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

11-2
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Connor Thompson is an awesome QB.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
TheUSCMike
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 4500
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Connor Thompson is an awesome QB.
Yeah but Dylan Shaw is better and I've got statistics to prove it.
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #16
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110000
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
He didn't fabricate anything, he didn't call them real stats...

All he did was estimate based on solid facts (even gave a disclaimer), which is totally fair game.

Shoot, i think it'd be fair to say Shaw's stats would have been even better w/o the injuries considering the sheer volume of snaps he did take while hurt. However, injuries are part of the game, and a are a part of Shaw's style of play... makes me glad we have 2 competent QBs.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #17
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

So we have a thread started where a poster congratulates one of our players for being ranked in the top 10 in the country for something. He says that it is a cool accomplishment and gives the players props for doing it.

And some of our fans just have to find a way to discredit the accomplishment?

Funny how that works.

Last edited by cofcgamecock9; 01-19-2013 at 12:56 AM.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #18
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

Quote:
Geez yall didn't like this? That was a lot of math
Old 01-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #19
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
So we have a thread started where a poster congratulates one of our players for being ranked in the top 10 in the country for something. He says that it is a cool accomplishment and gives the players props for doing it.

And some of our fans just have to find a way to discredit the accomplishment?

Funny how that works.
Had the OP congratulated Shaw without mentioning that he USED to be a Thompson supporter, I think it would have carried more weight. Instead, to me it came across as yet another attempt to bash Thompson by praising Shaw. This is such old territory. Had Thompson been allowed enough playing time to GET 14 or 15 passes per game our team played, the OP might have a point. Since he didn't, there is no way to know what his stats would have been. Shaw didn't average that many passes per game until he went 20/21 against Missouri. That one game brought his percentage up. Shaw played nearly all of 9 games. Thompson played all of 2, half of 2 more, and 2 minutes 12 seconds of the bowl game.

BTW, Shaw's rating was 124.3 in 2010 and 148.3 in 2011. The more he played, the higher his rating went. It is possible that Thompson's would have been higher with more playing time.

I'm not discrediting Shaw at all. I just don't think it's fair to compare the two when Shaw has such a large sampling and Thompson has such a small one. After all, Thompson's rating was 234.3 in the Outback, while Shaw's was 167. Against UAB, Thompson's was 264.7, and Shaw's was 130.6. Those two numbers of Thompson's are higher than those of #1 AJ McCarron. Connor's best games, and his only ones with above a 200 rating, were Missouri, 226.3, and Georgia, 262.1.

Stats are funny that way.

Last edited by me4USC; 01-19-2013 at 01:53 AM.
me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #20
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
Instead, to me it came across as yet another attempt to bash Thompson by praising Shaw. This is such old territory. .
He didn't mention anything about Dylan except that he said "Ive been a huge dylan supporter." Those were his exact words.

So let me get this straight. If someone thinks that one person should be our QB, then he or she is automatically "bashing" the other guy? Come on... Just go back and read what you typed and I hope you can see how it sounds... "attempt to bash Thompson by praising Shaw." So now we bash a player by saying good things about another one?

So let me ask you a question. If someone says "I think Dylan should be the starter because I think he is a great QB." Are you saying that is bashing Connor?

Come on.. Connor finished top 10 in the country in a major category for QBs. I would hope that we would "praise" any player that finished in the top 10 in any major category. How in the world is that bashing anyone else?
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote