CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
johnnyb
taylorssc
Lonnie
Gamecocks321
doubledribble
GarnetSwarm1990
gadeneer1986
ReadR00ster
So Disappointed With (2383)
Rank the QBs under S (1636)
Back like cooked cra (1222)
Tennessee game (777)
Who start on the d l (687)
No Comments on the H (572)
Google finally gets (471)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (212)
Gameday parking in A (149)
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
No Comments on the Holes?
Why I think we beat Aubur
SEC Debate: Best candidat
So Disappointed With The
Tennessee game
Back like cooked crack
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Texas athletic director:

Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
Gamecockboyo
Jadeveon Clowney Fan

Male

CockyCash: 131113
Gamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockboyo
Default Coyote sighting St. Andrews

I've lived in Irmo for about 15 years now and from I can recall I've never seen a coyote in this area. But I was heading towards downtown to watch the AFC Championship game at about 4:30 and a coyote comes running across the street from where the Michaelis Mattress store towards the BI-LO parking lot on St. Andrews. It was just really strange and I've never seen them this close before. Anyone ever seen them around the Irmo area before?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Coyote sighting St. Andrews

The coyote population in SC has been spreading since they were released (I want to say) 28 years ago

So it's not too surprising you saw one depending on how urban the area is
Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
Gamecockboyo
Jadeveon Clowney Fan

Male

CockyCash: 131113
Gamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockboyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
The coyote population in SC has been spreading since they were released (I want to say) 28 years ago

So it's not too surprising you saw one depending on how urban the area is
I mean it's close to Harbison Blvd. and there isn't much woods anymore in that area since places have being built.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockboyo View Post
I've lived in Irmo for about 15 years now and from I can recall I've never seen a coyote in this area. But I was heading towards downtown to watch the AFC Championship game at about 4:30 and a coyote comes running across the street from where the Michaelis Mattress store towards the BI-LO parking lot on St. Andrews. It was just really strange and I've never seen them this close before. Anyone ever seen them around the Irmo area before?
I work in irmo and i know they were there in late 2011 early 2012. There was one photographed walking down saint andrews near murraywood as well as walking down lake murray blvd near the old silver fox tennis place across from wendys. I know a couple of cats as well as a poodle went missing then
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

I moved to Columbia in Sept. 2002 and the second full night I stayed
here, I was driving around the back roads getting used to the area, and
I ran up on what I thought was a dog crossing the road, on BroadRiver
Road near Harbison Blvd. When it got to the curb and I was passing by
it, the thing turned and faced the car and I could see clearly it was a
Coyote. I had no idea there were Coyotes in this area at all, and I
mentioned it to a guy at work the next day.. He told me there were a lot
of them in the area because the SC Forrestry Service had brought them
in a few years earlier to control the deer population, and they were
spreading out and populating faster than they calculated. Since then, I've
seen a few more of them around the Columbia area. I've seen a couple of
them along Shop Road near where the entrance to the Animal Shelter is
(near the I-77 Intersection). Have also seen them in the woods near Gaston
on 321
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
I mean it's close to Harbison Blvd. and there isn't much woods anymore in that area since places have being built.
Harbison Forrest is right there. That is probably where he came from.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

They're in every part of the state surrounding where you are so it's not surprising that you spotted one. You'll see a wild hog there soon. As for them being relesed into SC, that's partly a myth. Some were illegally brought into the upstate for huinting purposes but they mostly migrated east from Georgia into SC. I think that's mostly credited for their population explosion all over the state. I had a wildlife biologist at SRS tell me that they are killing nearly 30% of the yearling deer population annually according to their research. Basically there are less and less deer in SC due to this invasive species.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

The worse part is the yotes in GA/SC are getting bigger then their western counterparts and less and less afraid of humans. Having see them in Texas and compared to the ones I have dealt with in GA the ones in GA are closer to small wolves then coyotes anymore in their actions and demeanor.

Here is the story from the Augusta paper about them and the UGA researchers that have been studying them. http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/me...gia-deer-herds
Old 01-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
The worse part is the yotes in GA/SC are getting bigger then their western counterparts and less and less afraid of humans. Having see them in Texas and compared to the ones I have dealt with in GA the ones in GA are closer to small wolves then coyotes anymore in their actions and demeanor.

Here is the story from the Augusta paper about them and the UGA researchers that have been studying them. http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/me...gia-deer-herds
Yeah, about a year ago my brother saw one that he said looked like a really big dog near Edgefield

Almost like a wolf
Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

That's nothing. I've seen several cougars at Williams-Brice on a game day.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
That's nothing. I've seen several cougars at Williams-Brice on a game day.
Lol! What, about as big as a MILF??
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
There is a wildlife habitat behind Allied and you are a lot closer to the Saluda River than you realize, not to mention Lake Murray. Not at all strange to see one.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
bullardt
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 550
bullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudlybullardt is crowing loudly

I did see a red fox running down George Rogers Blvd one night driving home when I was in school at USC. It was right by the stadium, and I thought that was pretty weird.
bullardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Not sure how many on here watch The Big Bang Theory, but the thread title instantly made me think of the episode when Sheldon mentions to Leonard about a bobcat sighting in the area of Amy Farrah-Fowler's apartment.

Carry on.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
5lbYardcock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

A friend just killed one on his property in Lexington.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Lived in Columbia area since 2001 and in Irmo since 2007, but haven't ever seen any coyotes. That said, I don't think it's too terribly surprising.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 21018809
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

I have lived in Sumter since 2006 near Shaw AFB, and there's a lot of woods nearby. But I haven't seen one. Saw foxes though.
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Thinking about it some more...might have lived in the decent sized wooded area beside/behind the Shaw plant.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
darthtripous
Walk On

Male

darthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spurs

I deer hunt outside of Manning. The last day I hunted (before leaving to go to The Outback Bowl) I shot and killed a nearly 50 pound female coyote. It was big enough that when I first saw it about 200 yards away I thought it was a small deer. As soon as I saw the long tail I dropped her. I've seen them before but that one was by far the biggest one I've ever seen. DNR wants them gone. They are a ferral species like wild hogs. There is no season on them. If they are on your property you don't even need a liecence (I think). I love hunting and don't want to take what I'm not going to eat, but I have no problem killing a coyote.
darthtripous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

See them all the time at the in-laws place out in red bank