CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
Spurticus
b381l
sanford
thekob
usc1
B-G
TAFC 5 1981
Rooster'srule
Mt. Lattimore
Spurrier vs Saban (1040)
Gurley or Davis (925)
Lattimore Sidelined (874)
Expect A Healthy Dos (733)
Steve Spurrier - Say (530)
Coach's media golf p (398)
college football mat (306)
South Carolina Footb (289)
A house just blew up (202)
Destiny Beta (162)
Coach's media golf press
Kansas to invest $75 mill
Steve Spurrier - Say What
Sidney Rice Retiring From
Official SEC Network and
2014-15 Premier League se
college football match up
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
2015 - Mon Denson

Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #41
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly
Default Re: Tanner and the next master plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I played club lacrosse at Carolina. The university would buy a keg for every home game. After the game, the opposing players, our team, and all fans would gather around and drink draft beer. That is not an activity associated with the rich, wine and cheese crowd.

We played against teams from UGA, UT, Vandy, Citadel, Clemp, Elon, etc.

Nowadays, high schools in the upstate are playing lacrosse. Many football players are involved in lacrosse in the spring. It most certainly is not a wealthy person's game.

Yeah, you're way off base.

If you look at the schools in the Midlands that are playing Lacrosse I think you'll find it is coming from the rich lake community(mostly white) schools like Chapin, White Knoll, Lexington, and not places like Dreher, Columbia, Keenan, or Eau Claire.

Even in South Carolina, Lacrosse is a sport for those with a little more money. It's mostly played by white kids. I wouldn't say its wine and cheese, but it is definitely an upper middle class sport around here.
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #42
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Blow up the State Newspaper building and build a huge statue of Spurrier playing golf there.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #43
OLDCHARLESTONIAN
African Tater Game Hunter

Male

CockyCash: 200
OLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his clawsOLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his clawsOLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his clawsOLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMonticelloCock View Post
If you look at the schools in the Midlands that are playing Lacrosse I think you'll find it is coming from the rich lake community(mostly white) schools like Chapin, White Knoll, Lexington, and not places like Dreher, Columbia, Keenan, or Eau Claire.

Even in South Carolina, Lacrosse is a sport for those with a little more money. It's mostly played by white kids. I wouldn't say its wine and cheese, but it is definitely an upper middle class sport around here.
I agree. Although its nothing like polo, the cost to just enter into lacrosse is quite hefty. You're talking shafts, heads, gear, whatever. Its not something like football or basketball where the majority of the gear is cheap or given to you to use by the local athletic departments. For the most part, it is an upper middle class sport.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #44
Smashies_AC30
The Garnet Invasion

Male

Smashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPit

Sorry to contribute to the thread hijacking (Tanner > LAX), but, like the sport or not (frankly, I'm not all about it), an even mediocre LAX program here will likely attract more players/students out-of-state, thus paying out-of-state tuition. Moreover, even if not a lot of scholarships could be offered for the program, walk-ons, again, would more likely be out-of-staters than in-state players. Also, I can't imagine a LAX program is that expensive to keep up. The exposure to USC athletics generally also spreads.

Seems to me there's a lot to gain from having a good varsity-level LAX program.

On that same note, does USC have a varsity rowing team? Or is it only club-level? Same thought process as LAX would apply.
Smashies_AC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #45
ThisMr X
Starter

Male

ThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his combThisMr X is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
That warehouse / cherrypicker deal takes the place of the right field railroad tracks at the Sarge.

Still remember the regional (or maybe super) where the engineer parked his 'ride' on the track and watched the game.
That happened on numerous occasions, was always fun to see.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #46
upstatescw
Jorts extraordinaire

Male

CockyCash: 600
upstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervousupstatescw is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
Because it's a game played by wealthy people.
Look at the majority of the schools that are good at it.
You know who were the 1st schools to start playing football and were good at it? The wealthy ones. Good thing all those poor schools didn't take your line of thinking ;)
upstatescw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #47
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Other sports aside, what more do we have for football that remains. Can anyone list those.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #48
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatescw View Post
You know who were the 1st schools to start playing football and were good at it? The wealthy ones. Good thing all those poor schools didn't take your line of thinking ;)
Did I say that Lacrosse can't become big here?

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #49
gamecockox
Walk On

Male

gamecockox has feathers coming ingamecockox has feathers coming ingamecockox has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredCock View Post
whether you liked him or not, Hyman was smart to develop a master plan to give the University a sense of direction. With most of those projects now completed i think Tanner would be wise to create a next phase strategy.With the new football practice field and indoor practice facility on the horizon, Here are some of my wish list!

1. a new Williams Brice Stadium exterior and apron

2. a new outdoor track facility and stadium - ours right now is woefully inadequate!

3. An indoor track facility

4. Gamecock park, part two, three, four. ect. - I believe the university should attempt to buy as much property around Williams Brice as possible and convert the space into parking areas just like they did to the old farmers market property. i would love to see them start by buying all the land between Idlewilde, Market, Key and Bluff. with side walks, lamp posts, brick walls and iron gates. if we want people to perceive our stadium as a top notch facility, the image of an industrial wasteland must be addressed

5. More luxury suites at Carolina stadium down the first base line - i know our baseball stadium rocks but we should already be planning on how to make it better for the future

6. purchase all the property between Williams, Wheat, Catawba, and Huger so we can lose the scenic view of metal warehouses down the first base line! (more) http://www.gamecockfanatics.com/
Hey FeatheredCock, thanks for posting my post from jan. 11 from a rival website without giving me credit....................nice!

Last edited by gamecockox; 01-21-2013 at 12:13 PM.
gamecockox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #50
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Sorry if its a dumb question, but what is the "apron" at Williams Brice?
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #51
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
Sorry if its a dumb question, but what is the "apron" at Williams Brice?
I think they mean the exterior portion of the property. I thought that area was supposed to be fenced in and landscaped.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #52
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Two words:

Women's Gymnastics.

PLEASE!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #53
WE_ARE
Mr. BIG COCK

Male

WE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudly

MEN'S HOCKEY!!!!
LOL
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #54
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE_ARE View Post
MEN'S HOCKEY!!!!
LOL

I think this would be something that could catch on. The Inferno did decent in Columbia and a Gamecock Hockey team could bring in some new fans to USC that have moved from other areas.

Unfortunately, I don't think many teams in the South play NCAA level hockey. We do have a club team though.
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #55
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockox View Post
Hey FeatheredCock, thanks for posting my post from jan. 11 from a rival website without giving me credit....................nice!
really? There is no copyright infringement in a message board. Its so ridiculous that this upset you that its funny. sad, but funny.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #56
gamecockox
Walk On

Male

gamecockox has feathers coming ingamecockox has feathers coming ingamecockox has feathers coming in

copyright infringement? maybe not! Am i going to lawyer up? of course not! is it sleazy, cheap, and intellectually lazy! absolutely! Anyone on this site who has had to write academic papers will understand the importance of citations of others ideas! Anyone with half a brain can understand that this is plagiarism. To grab and paste my entire post verbatim and put it on here without mentioning that it was not his ideas and was from another site sheds a new light on his character. It also causes me to doubt the integrity of gamecockfanatics since Featheredcock is the main guy on that site. If he lets this go uncorrected their is no way i trust that site! If he does not attempt to rectify this he is in my opinion a liar and a cheater!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #57
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

So this is what I found:

Quote:
Over the next couple of years, Hyman's master plan includes converting the Farmer's Market into a football parking lot and tailgate area for the fans, further improvements to Williams-Brice Stadium, building a coaches' support building, a parking garage and tennis courts, and renovating the softball and track facilities at the new Athletics Village, whose cornerstone building is the new Dodie Anderson Academic Enrichment Center.
http://www.gamecocksonline.com/genrel/hyman_eric00.html

So it sounds like finishing out the current "master plan" (why do I picture Dr. Evil when someone says this?) will include all you guys are talking about with the track needs, as well as continued improvements to the stadium. What I do NOT see is a plan for an indoor practice facility. Now some have mentioned this is already in the works, but does anyone have any real details on it?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #58
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Thought yall said they were tearing up the asphalt this off season. What is going on, it's things like this that piss me off
What doesn't piss you off? In all honesty,what do you ever say positive about the program or whats going on?

So instead of saying "it's things like this that piss me off," I think a more accurate statement (at least from what you post on this message board) would be "Whatever SC's coaches and admin do pisses me off."
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #59
gamecockox
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockox View Post
copyright infringement? maybe not! Am i going to lawyer up? of course not! is it sleazy, cheap, and intellectually lazy! absolutely! Anyone on this site who has had to write academic papers will understand the importance of citations of others ideas! Anyone with half a brain can understand that this is plagiarism. To grab and paste my entire post verbatim and put it on here without mentioning that it was not his ideas and was from another site sheds a new light on his character. It also causes me to doubt the integrity of gamecockfanatics since Featheredcock is the main guy on that site. If he lets this go uncorrected their is no way i trust that site! If he does not attempt to rectify this he is in my opinion a liar and a cheater!
All is forgiven Featheredcock!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #60
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ok, concerning the indoor practice facility, all I can find is that the school was putting out ads about building the project. Does anyone actually know any updates on who has the project, projected completion, etc?