CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Aggie96
Gamecocks1137
Regalcock
rolinb1
Cockypantherfan
Lonnie
HUGEGARNETCOCK
jebodiah
b381l
2016 Commitment - Ja (2668)
TJ Holloman (1403)
Gameday Garnet Polo (1088)
Spurrier accepts coc (1074)
They are coming to y (885)
How are we feeling a (597)
We lost a great Game (525)
2013 game vs TN is o (431)
Hard Knocks this wee (383)
"Penis Collecto (246)
texags
Favorite Gamecock of all-
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Name a Gamecock
Spurrier accepts cockys c
2013 game vs TN is on SEC
Browns announce Hoyer as
2016 Commitment - JaCorey
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
***2014 Carolina Panthers

Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #161
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76
Default Re: UNC's Deke Adams is New DL Coach

Hiring a coach isnt just about who is best. Its about continuity. And from everything ive read/heard, our coaching staff is about as close to being a family you can get without being a family. You've got to bring in a guy who has the same philosophy, as your coordinator, head coach, and fits. Just because the dude from LSU has a great d-line doesnt mean he would fit in, in the USC program. My mother could coach the talent down at LSU.

It amazes me that people on this board think they know more than a head coach. Get over yourselves and see what happens before you immediately start criticizing a hire.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #162
henmania
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryThingGreen View Post
So you want to pay a DL coach over 500k to make the switch from LSU to SCar? Because that amount might not even do it. Aside from the fact that no DL coach at LSU is going to leave that job to coach South Carolina with the same job title.

Would you offer Haley an assistant DC job or something else to entice him?
You would have to pay the other position coaches more if you did that. So that one move could end up costing a good bit more. Plus, Deke knows our recruiting territory well and is a top 10 recruiter. Part of coaching is teaching and motivating. it seems if he is a good recruiter, he can teach the kids. I was more concerned wiht the recruiting aspects of the hire. We did well there. Hell, Whammy can help him if he isn't any good. This isn't that hard. Plus UNC ran the same scheme we did. so you don't have to get into issues of whether he can coach our D. I like the way our D plays.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #163
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Love love love love love this hire.

Can't wait to see/hear the responses and results this Summer on the recruiting trail.

His group and Elliott's group are going to have some fierce battles. Both guys have very similar coaching styles it seems. Not only are they teachers but they are great motivators and are quick to scold but also the first guys to give the pat on the butt for doing a drill correctly.

Odell Haggins/Tosh Lupoi/Rodney Garner/Mich State DL Coach are probably the only guys out there that would've been the WOW factor. But again, LOVE this hire. This is going to be a great addition to our staff. He fits our team so well.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #164
JDStud6
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

are you people ever happy? Who'd you think we were gonna hire? Another Harbaugh brother??

Settle down and put this thread on hold for 3 years before you start talking out your butt. Results will be displayed on the field and that's what matters... not who he coached for last week or how much money he makes.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #165
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatescw View Post
Doesn't this make you think that this wasn't a surprise to USC at all? That's pretty quick to be taken by surprise.
I seriously doubt that there was any suprise what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocklover View Post
i'm pretty sure it wasn't...they knew of what was going on with Brad days before the hiring...BUT the University had to get clearance to go ahead and hire...i'm not doubting the it happened that quick though

Totally agree. Add the fact that coach Lawing has been a loyal part of this universities football program for 17 years you can only believe that this was a well thought out plan with all involved.

The more I read about Deke Adams the more I like the hire.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #166
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Love love love love love this hire.

Can't wait to see/hear the responses and results this Summer on the recruiting trail.

His group and Elliott's group are going to have some fierce battles. Both guys have very similar coaching styles it seems. Not only are they teachers but they are great motivators and are quick to scold but also the first guys to give the pat on the butt for doing a drill correctly.

Odell Haggins/Tosh Lupoi/Rodney Garner/Mich State DL Coach are probably the only guys out there that would've been the WOW factor. But again, LOVE this hire. This is going to be a great addition to our staff. He fits our team so well.
That is music to my ears! I loved seeing Lawing and Elliot getting their guys fired up to go after each other in practice, pushing the players to the best of their abilities every play. Glad to hear we are getting a coach to replace Lawing with similar energy in practice.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #167
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
That is music to my ears! I loved seeing Lawing and Elliot getting their guys fired up to go after each other in practice, pushing the players to the best of their abilities every play. Glad to hear we are getting a coach to replace Lawing with similar energy in practice.
It may already have been posted in here or you probably already saw it after ETG posted in our group. But if you missed it.

Deke Adams Mic'd Up

He even rocks the Brad Lawing hat!

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #168
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
are you people ever happy? Who'd you think we were gonna hire? Another Harbaugh brother??

Settle down and put this thread on hold for 3 years before you start talking out your butt. Results will be displayed on the field and that's what matters... not who he coached for last week or how much money he makes.

JD

I think the LARGE MAJORITY of posters are happy but the few downers seem to stand out. Of course those posters are usually the downers in just about every topic on the board.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #169
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

I just like the fact that we went out and got somebody that was already at a D1 University in a BCS conference (I mean yeah...it was the ACC...but still).
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #170
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
It may already have been posted in here or you probably already saw it after ETG posted in our group. But if you missed it.

Deke Adams Mic'd Up

He even rocks the Brad Lawing hat!
Yea, I just finished watching it. It is good to see him make the players run a drill over when they do it wrong, and then tell them good job once they do it right. Always great to have a coach get in your face and the reassure you of their confidence in you when you get it right (a la Frank Martin). I am liking him more and more!

Found this on Twitter from Kipp Adams (see below). For those who are not aware, he is a recruiting reporter for ESPN.
Quote:
Kipp Adams ‏@KippLAdams
South Carolina just hired a DL coach I feel is a rising star in former UNC assistant Deke Adams. Underrated recruiter.
Hard to believe he is calling him an underrated recruiter when we are finding articles that have him listed as a fantastic recruiter.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #171
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
The people that are questioning are the people that question everything that is done year after year by Spurrier and the staff. They have a right to be that way, I give them that, but they are negative about everything the post. Every decision is a bad one until proven otherwise. The issue is that Steve Spurrier keeps proving otherwise, yet then the questioning just moves on to something else.

There is at least one or two people in this thread that I can promise you are never going to be happy no matter what happens. If we win a National Championship, then it will be "why haven't we won two." If we win two, then it will be "why don't we win it every year."

Those people will say that they are just "not settling for mediocrity" and that we are all a bunch of "sunshine pumpers." The problem with that, though, is that we are ONLY fans and we have absolutely nothing to do with what goes on. Spurrier could have hired anyone he wanted and there is nothing we could have done about it. He could decide next year to start Quarles at QB and there is nothing we could do about it. Those are extreme examples and I am not saying it isn't ok to question things and have discussions about them. But my point is that we are FANS and we are supposed to have FUN being fans, especially when our team is having the most successful run in history. But some of the posters on this board are never going to enjoy being a fan. It just isn't going to happen. They are going to bitch and say they "aren't impressed" with whatever happens regardless of what it is.

This hire is one decision that was made by our coaching staff. Just one. So by itself, it would be perfectly understandable that someone wouldn't be that happy about it.

BUT, have you noticed that the EXACT same people that are not impressed with this hire are the EXACT same people that are NEVER happy with any decisions that are made at SC. It is always the exact same group of posters that say that EVERY decision is a bad one or that our coaches are doing something wrong.

You said it. There are posters who are consistently negative about everything Gamecock related. I even have a couple of friends who are that way. They'll never change...it's just who they are.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #172
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Its going to be interesting to see if they realign the recruiting territories.

IMO, I think Deke is going to take over some of Lorenzo's territories in Atlanta. Lorenzo didn't do as much recruiting this year given his new job responsibilities. Also, it appears I was mistaken. Deke wasn't the main recruiter for Webb and Drennon but he had significant input in their recruitments so I doubt he does much in Jersey for us unless its with a defensive lineman.

If they put him in Lawing's territories, then his #1 priority going into the 2014 cycle is not only Da'Shawn Hand but to lock up Derrell Scott.

He was also the lead recruiter for Braxton Berrios while at UNC.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 01-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #173
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I think Spurrier hired the best fit for this team. And I am one to be critical at times of Spurrier. I admit, I haven't forgiven the guy yet for what he did to us at Florida (he needs to do a little bit more to make up for it in my book), and I also watched him fail in the NFL and botch some things here in the QB and offensive line department. Still, he is one of the best coaches in college and he has improved this team dramatically. Looking at things logically, this hire makes a lot of sense. My gut tells me Adams is a heck of a coach and this is a home run hire. This guy is out to prove himself.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #174
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I think Spurrier hired the best fit for this team. And I am one to be critical at times of Spurrier. I admit, I haven't forgiven the guy yet for what he did to us at Florida (he needs to do a little bit more to make up for it in my book), and I also watched him fail in the NFL and botch some things here in the QB and offensive line department. Still, he is one of the best coaches in college and he has improved this team dramatically. Looking at things logically, this hire makes a lot of sense. My gut tells me Adams is a heck of a coach and this is a home run hire. This guy is out to prove himself.
OMG dude, are you serious???

1. He is our best coach ever, by a long shot. He has the most wins, the most bowl wins, record after record, and he's the main reason we aren't still mired in mediocrity. All that and you haven't "forgiven him" yet?

2. It was the Redskins...several other coaches followed him and guess what, many of them did worse than he did. He didn't like the hours and the Redskins continue to have meddling ownership that mess it up for everyone else. All that said, who cares about what he did in the NFL.

I just don't understand some comments here and normally I wouldn't reply but wow.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #175
Uhaul
Place At The Table! Wooo!

Male

Uhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post

Brick Haley

Zero chance this would ever happen. We can neither out prestige nor out spend LSU.
Uhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #176
Uhaul
Place At The Table! Wooo!

Male

Uhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPitUhaul rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
I think the LARGE MAJORITY of posters are happy but the few downers seem to stand out. Of course those posters are usually the downers in just about every topic on the board.
I don't really understand the downers here.

Adams has statistically improved his DLs, was named a top 50 recruiter by 247sports last year and was recently named a top 12 recruiter by ESPN.

What more do you want?
Uhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #177
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

I think people's biggest problem is they are disappointed about Lawing leaving but they don't know how to handle it. Yes his leaving sucks, he's one of the best in the business, but its over and done and there is nothing else to say about it. The only thing to do is to find someone else, and let's face it, coming here from LSU or Alabama or Florida or Georgia is highly unlikely, and we'd look like morons going to all of them and being told no. The majority of them, if anything, would use it for a raise. They have no ties to the program, and they are getting paid plenty.

One good thing to do is find a guy who has proven himself when he has been given opportunity and also shows some real coaching potential. Being a good recruiter is also a major advantage, as Darrin Horn proved if you can't recruit you die. So all in all, it was a good hire, the coaches chose him, everyone should try to be positive about it. In the grand scheme of things that have happened to us in the offseason's past this is actually pretty tame.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #178
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
OMG dude, are you serious???

1. He is our best coach ever, by a long shot. He has the most wins, the most bowl wins, record after record, and he's the main reason we aren't still mired in mediocrity. All that and you haven't "forgiven him" yet?

2. It was the Redskins...several other coaches followed him and guess what, many of them did worse than he did. He didn't like the hours and the Redskins continue to have meddling ownership that mess it up for everyone else. All that said, who cares about what he did in the NFL.

I just don't understand some comments here and normally I wouldn't reply but wow.
You love the guy, good for you. Not everyone here does. I agree that he is our best coach ever, but has to win us a championship to come off my list for his part in setting our program back as far as it was. The guy is not perfect, he makes mistakes.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #179
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
You love the guy, good for you. Not everyone here does. I agree that he is our best coach ever, but has to win us a championship to come off my list for his part in setting our program back as far as it was. The guy is not perfect, he makes mistakes.
Serious question... not meant as a flame, just trying to make sure I am not putting words in your mouth that you didn't say...

Didn't you at one point this season say that you would rather have James Franklin as our coach than Steve Spurrier? Let me know if that is wrong.

If you had to pick one to coach our team going forward, would you choose Steve Spurrier or James Franklin?
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #180
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
HOW DARE YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN ME.