CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
WeStillOwnUSC
Yearofthegamecock
TAFC 5 1981
gamecock88
jrussjr
cockybusiness2
Kentucky prediction (2069)
Just Booked my Hotel (1381)
Best position coach (781)
Waldrop doubtful for (751)
The New Idea That'll (689)
So What? (685)
We Have A New KO Guy (517)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (413)
So What? (260)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (260)
I'm over the loss, but...
Thoughts on the basketbal
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
QB Recruiting Strategy
What fish do you eat
Best position coach or co
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
2016 - Tavien Feaster
2015 Commitment - Jaire A
Kentucky prediction

Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #21
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

CockyCash: 200
gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit
Default Re: Environment

Two things:
As is the general consensus, winning (or a greater potential) will draw bigger crowds. People stopped going to games when they lost hope of having a decent chance (beyond luck) of being competitive - when losing was more or less a foregone conclusion. For a corollary, consider going to your favorite restaurant and the new manager punches you in the gut and pushes you out the door after your meal. If this happens enough (or more than once probably), you'll stop going to that restaurant because you can do something else that doesn't include a punch to the gut. People have to know they won't get punched in the gut any more before they come back.

After watching the women's team in the Coliseum, I'm reminded of how much better a basketball arena it is (and also that I really miss watching games in there).

Referencing the dismal attendance at the CLA for the Vandy game (and football recognition), consider that the announced figure (11k+) would have been a near capacity crowd at the FMA. And with the seats being so much closer to the floor than at CLA the atmosphere would surely have been reminiscent of some of the Fogler games of similar attendance. I don't see how it couldn't have been. When comparing current atmosphere of games to those of pre_CLA days, it's apples to oranges - you can't make a logical direct comparison. The CLA experience, compared to FMA) is and always will be more distant and a little less about the actual game and a little more about the timeout and halftime distractions, simply because of the expanse of view from every seat in the house.

The environment/atmosphere of a Gamecock basketball game will never again be "what it used to be" for these reasons. The CLA can be filled and the crowd can be noisy, but it won't ever be like Duke, or Butler, or any other place with a more intimate gym. Those places will forever continue to be the iconic arenas for college basketball. The CLA will be just a "beautiful, modern, behemoth" where the Gamecocks play basketball and big country music acts perform.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gAmkok View Post
Two things:
As is the general consensus, winning (or a greater potential) will draw bigger crowds. People stopped going to games when they lost hope of having a decent chance (beyond luck) of being competitive - when losing was more or less a foregone conclusion. For a corollary, consider going to your favorite restaurant and the new manager punches you in the gut and pushes you out the door after your meal. If this happens enough (or more than once probably), you'll stop going to that restaurant because you can do something else that doesn't include a punch to the gut. People have to know they won't get punched in the gut any more before they come back.

After watching the women's team in the Coliseum, I'm reminded of how much better a basketball arena it is (and also that I really miss watching games in there).

Referencing the dismal attendance at the CLA for the Vandy game (and football recognition), consider that the announced figure (11k+) would have been a near capacity crowd at the FMA. And with the seats being so much closer to the floor than at CLA the atmosphere would surely have been reminiscent of some of the Fogler games of similar attendance. I don't see how it couldn't have been. When comparing current atmosphere of games to those of pre_CLA days, it's apples to oranges - you can't make a logical direct comparison. The CLA experience, compared to FMA) is and always will be more distant and a little less about the actual game and a little more about the timeout and halftime distractions, simply because of the expanse of view from every seat in the house.

The environment/atmosphere of a Gamecock basketball game will never again be "what it used to be" for these reasons. The CLA can be filled and the crowd can be noisy, but it won't ever be like Duke, or Butler, or any other place with a more intimate gym. Those places will forever continue to be the iconic arenas for college basketball. The CLA will be just a "beautiful, modern, behemoth" where the Gamecocks play basketball and big country music acts perform.
Who said attendance was "dismal" for the Vandy game ? That was the best crowd we've had all year . I speculated that some came to see the football team honored . But I thought the atmosphere was fine when we were attempting to make a comeback . For most of the game there just wasn't much to cheer about .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #23
jared
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

We had a couple good years a few years back and we packed out the CLA multiple times. It's not the arena. All we have to do is win and the crowds will come.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #24
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

CockyCash: 200
gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
Who said attendance was "dismal" for the Vandy game ? That was the best crowd we've had all year . I speculated that some came to see the football team honored . But I thought the atmosphere was fine when we were attempting to make a comeback . For most of the game there just wasn't much to cheer about .
Maybe "dismal" wasn't the right word. However, the place was at < 65% capacity, meaning that essentially the upper deck was (or could have been) empty. I was there so I know there were people in the upper deck seats, but they didn't have to be. Most of them could have easily fit in the scattered empties in the lower bowl. So while "dismal" might be too strong, the attendance certainly wasn't good. And just because it's the best we've had so far this season doesn't make it better than it was.

The team is actually getting better at basketball and I expect they'll start winning these close games more often than not very soon. When that happens, more people will come. And if the team continues to make progress, the CLA has the potential to get a sellout before the end of the season. I hope it happens. It's more fun with fans in the seats.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #25
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
And if the team continues to make progress, the CLA has the potential to get a sellout before the end of the season.
I doubt it will happen this year. We don't play UK or UF at home this year. Ole Miss and Mizzou will be the best teams we play at home down the stretch. I hope I'm wrong, but the only way it happens this season, is if we win nearly every game the rest of the year. It would help if we can sneak up on Mizzou tonight on the road. Frank knew how to handle Mizzou when he was at KSU, but he had better players, of course.

Next year should be a different story. We should be able to fill the CLA to roughly 80% capacity on a regular basis with a few sell-outs for the big games against ranked opponents(the sec's best).
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #26
uscdoit
Recruit

Male

uscdoit is learning to peckuscdoit is learning to peck

My seats are in the upper part, haven't sat up there in 4 years. Walk in and sit 12 to 15 rows from the floor. I'm like most people here though, you win and people will come.
uscdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #27
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

I'm afraid our stadium is just a little big. I mean, the lower decks might be rockin, but we can't fill up the upper deck consistently. I would love to dream but fans just aren't made of money.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #28
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilchCock View Post
I'm afraid our stadium is just a little big. I mean, the lower decks might be rockin, but we can't fill up the upper deck consistently. I would love to dream but fans just aren't made of money.
It isn't too big, we just haven't had any very good teams since the CLAW was built. In 2009 when we won the East we had several near capacity crowds. We can fill the arena with an NCAA bubble team or better, which really isn't expecting to much. Just wait and see what Frank will do.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #29
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
In 2009 when we won the East we had several near capacity crowds.
I remember the game after UF (Zam's Buzzer beater layup) we played Georgia and the place was packed. Even the upper levels were filled.

That year we played a thursday night game of the week for the outright east championship against Tennessee. Another game were the place was packed.
That was a great atmosphere.

Even that next year when we beat Kentucky the place was filled and at the time we were 11-8 (2-3) going into that game

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #30
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Can someone please explain when the CLA became the CLAW? Roosters dont have claws. I do get it guess im old
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #31
dirtycock
a one man wolfpack

Male

CockyCash: 1946
dirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his combdirtycock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Can someone please explain when the CLA became the CLAW? Roosters dont have claws. I do get it guess im old
Roosters do in fact have claws. Sorry.