CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
b381l
cocksmith1or11
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
The Yancey
conwaycock2
Travelin
The Comeback & T (613)
Simple "yes&quo (558)
ESPN Game Day Commen (511)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (434)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (395)
TeMarcus Blanton (327)
An A to Z of Noah We (297)
Phil Steele just pre (184)
Wallpaper & Back (180)
TeMarcus Blanton
Phil Steele just predicte
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Simple "yes" or
Garcia: Change the Rules
2016 - Avery McCall
Ranking the SEC Football
The Comeback & The Bl
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material
Default Spielberg and Hanks to produce another WWII miniseries

Just saw this article come up on one of the Savannah news stations facebook feed. Apparently it will be called "Masters of the Air" and will chronicle the battles taken part of by the "Mighty Eighth".

I'm not going to lie.. I'm pretty pumped about this. Even though I haven't watched any of the Pacific, I still put BoB as one of my favourites. I've been around the Mighty Eighth all my life having grown up in the Savannah area(where the Might 8th museum is) and with my great uncle having served with them, it is the perfect storm for me. Also, the museum itself has been in need of funding/donations for quite some time(especially in the past few years) so I'm hoping this might drum up some support/interest if it is successful.

http://collider.com/tom-hanks-steven...rs-of-the-air/

So.. here's to hoping they don't screw it up
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 16972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Spielberg and Hanks to produce another WWII miniseries

Fantastic!!
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

the Pacific was very good
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Great. Can't wait to see it.

Still working on my Dad's WWII memoirs. He was with the 7th USAAF, in the Pacific, as a B-24 pilot.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
Great. Can't wait to see it.

Still working on my Dad's WWII memoirs. He was with the 7th USAAF, in the Pacific, as a B-24 pilot.
Very cool!! Must have some cool stories
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

The Pacific Theater had some of the most incredible air action in warfare!

Pappy Boyington and the Black Sheep Squadron
Doolittle's Raiders
The Great Marianna's Turkey Shoot
WWII greatest Ace, Dick Bong flying the 'Forked Tail Devil', the P-38 (had 40 confirmed kills including the architect of the raid on Pearl Harbor, Admiral Yamamoto)
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

I would like to see this new series, but am really wanting to see The Pacific! Already have tons of info on Europe.

Doolittle's Raiders
WWII greatest Ace, Dick Bong flying the 'Forked Tail Devil', the P-38 (had 40 confirmed kills including the architect of the raid on Pearl Harbor, Admiral Yamamoto)

Sorry for the double post. Just meant to edit the first one!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post

Doolittle's Raiders
Very true, indeed

I could definitely see them go with a black sheep squadron story line if(or really any of the others) this one is really successful

kind of like how they did the BoB/Pacific
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
Very cool!! Must have some cool stories
Yeah, tons of them.

One quick story is that on a bombing mission over Iwo Jima, (weeks before the Marines landed) they had just opened their bomb bay doors when some anti-aircraft flak hit just inches from them, severing hydraulic cables. They were still able to drop the bombs, but the cut cables. as some lines also helped other functions in the plane caused them to go into a 45 degree slow dive from their original 20,000 or so feet height and they could not pull up.

After about a 15,000 foot drop, the crew in the back located some spare cable wires which they were able to splice together to correct the dive and allow them to fly back to base. The rest of the bomb group thought they had been shot down and were pleasantly surprised when they came back to land.
------------------------------
Said their plane was hit on 15 straight missions. A small bit of flak sounded like someone threw gravel on the plane, whereas a large bit of flak hitting the plane sounded like someone standing on your car hood hitting it with an ax.
-----------------------------

Here is a photo of his plane

Last edited by brat; 01-24-2013 at 05:14 AM.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Please put Forrest Gump in it.