CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
PageUSC
KaneisAble
QCB
doubledribble
markp_vip
ReadR00ster
roosterdude21
Roosterboy
Jmansour333
The Yancey
SOS says his next st (1828)
Our Defense? (1183)
CBSSports SEC predic (917)
CFN prediction for a (451)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (425)
MMA: Holeve (Down Sy (363)
SEC Football Legend: (361)
Michael Sams done in (360)
Party like it's 1903 (357)
Ranking Top HC jobs (263)
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Does South Carolina still
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Our Defense?
2016 Thon Marker
MMA: Holeve (Down Syndrom
Roll call for Auburn
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Rest of the season predic

Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #21
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007
Default Re: Best Bar-B-Que In South Carolina

There is a BBQ Shag Festival in my hometown of Hemingway (located between Florence and Myrtle Beach if some never heard of it or wants to know where it's at) and they have a BBQ competition that has the best BBQ you can eat. Also Hemingway has 3 great BBQ joints that has some amazing BBQ...Kennys BBQ and Big D's BBQ...and Brunson's Crossroads BBQ. They are only open on the weekends but if you're ever down that way...give them a try...guarantee it will be the best you've ever had.

As for Schoolhouse and Browns...haven't been there in a while...but even when i did years ago...they had good BBQ...but don't compare to the ones listed above

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #22
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35-21 View Post
Barebones in Greenwood is top notch. Great ribs and brisket. Awesome chicken. And the pulled pork BBQ is just ridiculous.
Pretty good place but since it's out of the way for most, I doubt many have been there. I've had them cater a couple events for customers and they've all loved it. Good place out on Emerald Road for anyone near Gwood.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
My backyard (sorry I had to)

I haven't really found a KILLER BBQ rest, around here. We've have some good ones in Greenville, but nothing to blow your mind.

Bucky's is pretty good. Henry's in Simpsonville is Ok, not great. There's another place out on 14/Pelham area that's good.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #24
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

Born, raised and lived most of my life in SC but also lived in NC, VA, CA & GA. Best BBQ in South Carolina. However, believe me when I tell you Mississippi does not know BBQ, they know a lot of good food but not BBQ.
uscgmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

This thread comes up at least 1 or 2 times a year...so I will say this (and I have ate at a LOT in SC):

My favorites:

Duke's BBQ in Blackville
Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton
Jackie Hite's in Batesburg
Palmetto Pig in Columbia
Sweatman's in Holly Hill

Will never recommend:

Bobby's BBQ in Aiken
Shealy's BBQ in Batesburg
Little Pigs in Greenwood
Sconyer's in Augusta, GA gets special mention because it's not in SC but is really horrible.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #26
JTJGarnet
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
JTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talonsJTJGarnet has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlocked View Post
Brown's BBQ in Kingstree is the best in the state.
Cannot argue this! VERY GOOD!!!
JTJGarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #27
CockRugger
Hardest Cock Around

Male

CockRugger rules the CockPitCockRugger rules the CockPitCockRugger rules the CockPitCockRugger rules the CockPitCockRugger rules the CockPitCockRugger rules the CockPitCockRugger rules the CockPitCockRugger rules the CockPitCockRugger rules the CockPitCockRugger rules the CockPitCockRugger rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
This thread comes up at least 1 or 2 times a year...so I will say this (and I have ate at a LOT in SC):

My favorites:

Duke's BBQ in Blackville
Palmetto Pig in Columbia
Sweatman's in Holly Hill

Will never recommend:

Bobby's BBQ in Aiken
Little Pigs in Greenwood
Sconyer's in Augusta, GA gets special mention because it's not in SC but is really horrible.
And every time this tread comes up, ColaCock lays down the truth. If you disagree with the above, your tongue must be broke.
CockRugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #28
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Cola wins, again. Also, regarding the OP, comparing SC and NC BBQ is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are good, but are completely different experiences IMO.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #29
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post

My favorites:

Duke's BBQ in Blackville
Palmetto Pig in Columbia
Sweatman's in Holly Hill

Will never recommend:

Bobby's BBQ in Aiken
Little Pigs in Greenwood
Got to agree with what you state here, although I have never been to Duke's in Blackville. Jackie Hite's in Batesburg is really good especially on Fridays when he does his pull pork on the whole hog.

Bobby's BBQ on the Jefferson Davis Hwy, just in between Langley, SC and Graniteville, SC is about the worst BBQ in the state and if that was the only place to eat BBQ I guess I would stop eating it. Shealy's BBQ is not that good, but their other items are pretty good and that's what I stop there for when I go through Batesburg, SC. Sconyer's BBQ in Augusta, GA, which is just right across the line from our great state is always full of people, but I agree with you again about their quality and they are expensive compared to other BBQ Places. That place in Kingstree that everyone was bragging on is not that great to me. I went there one time and just could not eat the stuff that they served. It was awful. I guess different parts of the state have different taste buds, but I was not impressed at all by it and I love good BBQ.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #30
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
Schoolhouse BBQ in Scranton S.C. although I have heard it isn't as good as it used to be. I haven't been their in years.
This is true. Used to be great, not as good as it was but it's still better than a lot of the places I've tried in the midlands.

Also, Roger's BBQ in Florence used to be really good before they changed owners. It's not even close to what it used to be.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #31
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

As for the midlands area, I have been to Hudson's, Doc's, Little Pigs, and Palmetto Pig. Of those Palmetto Pig is the best IMO. I had heard a lot about Little Pigs and was eager to try it out, but I was sorely disappointed after my visit.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #32
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit

Why do people get down on Shealy's? I love their vinegar-based pulled pork and their gizzards, my two gold-standards of an all-you-can-eat bbq buffet.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #33
gamecockguy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
This guy right here is correct. Their sausages are top notch as well
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #34
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material

IM WRITING IN ALL CAPS NOT TO BE ANNOYING BUT TO STAKE MY FAMILY'S NAME AND REPUTATION ON WHAT IM ABOUT TO SAY...

CIRCLE M BBQ IN LIBERTY HAS THE BEST RIBS I HAVE EVER PUT IN MY MOUTH. I AM NOT SPEAKING ABOUT ANY OTHER ITEM, JUST THE RIBS. SIMPLY AMAZING.

IVE HAD BBQ AT ALL THE FAMOUS SPOTS EXCEPT LEXINGTON, NC. IVE BEEN TO KANSAS CITY, MEMPHIS, St. LOUIS, AND ALL AROUND SC.

IF ANY OF YOU LIVE REMOTELY CLOSE TO CIRCLE M CALL AHEAD AND MAKE THE DRIVE.

Ok, enough all caps. Cack, you are in greenville. It would only take you 30 minutes to get there. Make a trip out there for the ribs and smoked chicken. If you dont think its very good you can shame me publicly (on this forum.)
Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #35
ICEHOCEY77
4-Star

Male

ICEHOCEY77 has earned his spursICEHOCEY77 has earned his spursICEHOCEY77 has earned his spursICEHOCEY77 has earned his spursICEHOCEY77 has earned his spursICEHOCEY77 has earned his spursICEHOCEY77 has earned his spurs

Another vote for Sweatman's.

In the midlands I'll go with Hudsons with Doc's a close second. Little Pigs a distant 3rd.
ICEHOCEY77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #36
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Carolina.html

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/158/9495...-M-BBQ-Liberty

Check out the reviews on Circle M at these links.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #37
landlocked
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2000
landlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudly

And any place where you have a choice of what sauce to put on your BBQ is not real BBQ. You gotta cook the sauce into the pig.
landlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #38
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

The Smokin Pig in Pendleton is pretty tastee. The only downside is its proximity to Taterville Tech.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #39
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....

Male

CockyCash: 5445
GamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot material

Worst: Hands down, Palmetto Pig. Hate it, got food poisoning last time but thats the least of it. Pork tastes funny and the buffet has a pathetic number of choices. Hate that place with a passion.

2nd worst: Little Pigs on Alpine. Far and away the most choices on the buffet but the quality sucks. yep.

Best: Farm Boys in Chapin. Finally went and I couldnt believe the quality and choices there. Great place.

Favorite: Docs- I go there alot and think the overall buffet is great. Great catfish nuggets, sides, dessert, drinks and bbq. Best bang for the buck.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #40
darthtripous
Walk On

Male

darthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spursdarthtripous has earned his spurs

Quote:
Browns BBQ is hands down the best I've ever had. It is near where I deer hunt. There is nothing like getting up early to hunt, eating lunch there, and then taking a nice food coma nap in your deer stand for an hour or two.
darthtripous is offline   Reply With Quote