CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
The Yancey
IBleedGarnetandBlack
Spurticus
ZenUSC
Kyle76
ReadR00ster
bcolinc
peterlemon
Cockypantherfan
East Carolina Predic (2820)
Why didn't Wes Green (2045)
A&M on 3rd down (1441)
All of our defensive (1049)
You guys are horribl (979)
louisville (918)
Uniform thread (686)
Did we ever go after (517)
Watching the Georgia (511)
Wesley Green? (482)
New to Cockytalk...
Spurrier Presser
A&M on 3rd down
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Whiskey QB 2014
Spurrier: Davis Will Be A
Will Devin ever suit up f
3-4 "D" Keep it
whats up with Mike?
Browns sign Rex Grossman,

Old 01-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #141
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material
Default Re: Best Bar-B-Que In South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Why don't we just have a big Cockytalk get together at Scott's?? We can order pulled pork for everyone. If they don't have pulled pork I'll pay. If they do Miller can pay. Who's in?
Free food? It's not far from me, I'm in I'll have the wife and 3 kids with me too, so put us down for 5

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #142
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material

I want to try to be gracious to our friend Miller Time.

Im sure what he means to emphasize is that his local spot smokes whole hog. He is right. Lots of BBQ places no longer do that, and that is the purest, oldest form.

That said, once the whole hog is cooked, pork is pulled from it. Thus the pulled pork.

Next time Im in S.C. I will try to make a trip to Hemingway. Sounds like a great joint and the pictures look legit.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #143
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckCPA View Post
Jackie Hite's is a good one for the list. I have never been there because I go to the tourist trap Shealy's. But most of the folks I have met that are native to Batesburg/Leesville prefer Jackie Hites. Definitely belongs on the list.
Met him many, many times when I worked in the area. Very nice man and apparently, one hell of a fisherman!

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #144
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Yeah man. I learned a few new things today. Apparently, pulled pork BBQ is not what me and everyone else in the world thinks it is. I would like to try this.

Perhaps, Hemingway is the Bizaro World of BBQ.

Also, has anyone ever had the North Alabama white BBQ sauce? Mayo based I understand.
Big Bob's Gibson invented that white sauce. It is used for chicken and is really tasty. Here is a recipe to do a knock off: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #145
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime843 View Post
No Rosie Scott there is no Rodney.
Im pretty sure the guy's name is Rodney. Ummm New york Times did a write up about Rodney not rosie. Third generation pitmaster .. yeah its rodney!!!
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #146
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
They serve pulled pork? Since when 8 hours ago because I just helped then cook 6 hogs yesterday! Yeah don't try and be that guy that thinks he knows everything.
I have a hard time believing this man. I get you might know the place but trying to act like your a big time player with how they do business is kinda weak man.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #147
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

Pigout in Spartanburg and Wise's in Clinton
Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #148
RedneckCPA
Walk On

Male

RedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talons

Tally from the first 145 posts. I included all shout-outs (some folks had more than one) and excluded negative comments.

It looks like Scott's in Stuckey and Brown's in Kingstree have strong followings.

Upstate
Barebones Greenwood 2
Midway Union 1
Buckey's Greenville 3
Dickey's all state 2
Henry's Greenville 2
Charlie's Greenville 1
Circle M Liberty 3
Smokin Pig Pendleton 3
Pig Out Boiling Springs 2
Mutt's Mauldin 1
Mike & Jeff's Greenville 2
Carolina BBQ Spartanburg 1
Big Daddy Hawgs Inman 1
Mac's Speed Shop Greenville 1

Midlands
Carolina BBQ New Ellenton 2
Little Pig's Columbia 5 (lots of up and downs - very polar)
Hite's West Columbia 1
Shealy's B/L 3
Palmetto Pig Columbia 4
Roger's Florence 2
Duke's Blackville 1
Jackie Hite's B/L 4
Hudson's Lexington 4
Doc's BBQ Columbia 4
Farm Boys Chapin 2
BBQ Barn North Augusta 1
Antley's Orangeburg 1
Duke's Orangeburg 2

Lowcountry
Brown's Kingstree 7
Schoolhouse Scranton 2 (may have gone downhill in past few years)
Scott's Stuckey/Hemingway 7
Kenny's Hemingway 2
Big D's Hemingway 3
Brunson's Hemingway 1

McCabe's Manning 2
Sweatman's Holly Hill 5 (strong opinions both ways; new mgmt)
Duke's Ridgeville 1
Duke's Walterboro 1
Smokey Oak James Island 1
Smokehouse Hilton Head 1

Outer Space
Yancey's Girlfriend Topdown 3
Darwin Alert Stupidville 31 (stupid posts by Miller or replies)
RedneckCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #149
landlocked
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2000
landlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudlylandlocked is crowing loudly

Quote:
I am glad to hear there is a Mac's SPeed SHop in Greenville now. The original on South Blvd in Charlotte is quite good. They have all meats and several sauces. At night, it is a biker bar. SO it is a weird combination of BBQ and biker chicks. Hopefully, Greenville will have a little different wait staff.
The one on Tryon has a much different atmosphere than S Blvd. it is a newer building and is nicer. They do have really good food there
landlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #150
kmcgarnet
Recruit

Female

CockyCash: 500
kmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his combkmcgarnet is developing his comb

Quote:
I am not sure where you live in VA. I haven't traveled much on the east side. BUt there is an outstanding dive (term of endearment for BBQ joints) on ELizabethton Hwy in Bluff City, TN (near Bristol, VA) named Ridgewood BBQ.

It is on the shoulder of winding road - you have to make a slot in the small gravel parking lot. BUt it is outstanding BBQ if you are in the SW part of the state.
Well now I wish I was. I live in the Norfolk/VA Beach area. Only place I've found is Bubba and Franks and I really like their pulled pork sandwiches, but haven't found a buffet style BBQ place here. Which is what I like.
I've also had Doumar's chopped bbq sandwiches and they are alright.
kmcgarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #151
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock View Post
I want to try to be gracious to our friend Miller Time.

Im sure what he means to emphasize is that his local spot smokes whole hog. He is right. Lots of BBQ places no longer do that, and that is the purest, oldest form.

That said, once the whole hog is cooked, pork is pulled from it. Thus the pulled pork.

Next time Im in S.C. I will try to make a trip to Hemingway. Sounds like a great joint and the pictures look legit.
This is what I'm trying to say. Thank you
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #152
HTCOCK
Recruit

HTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his combHTCOCK is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
Schoolhouse BBQ in Scranton S.C. although I have heard it isn't as good as it used to be. I haven't been their in years.
It was incredible the last time I went - back in September!

I'd have to say Shealys, Hudsons, and some variation of Bessengers (Maurice or Melvin) for Mustard.

Old Schoolhouse for Vinegar (haven't tried those in Kingstree, though)

Carolina in New Ellenton for Tomato Base

And in the Upstate, we have a few places that'll let you add your sauce. My two favorites are Henry's Smokehouse in Simpsonville and Lee's on Lake Greenwood.

Man, I'm hungry now - and b/c of this weather, I can't get out to get any 'que!

Respectfully submitted,

HT Cock
HTCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #153
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_gamecock View Post
Cack, be sure to call ahead and make sure they have plenty of ribs. They run out. Also, the guy who runs it is really nice. Ask him if he would show out back where he cooks the stuff. He gave me and my buddy a "tour". He doesnt use thermometers or anything techy at all. He basically puts his hand on top of the smoker to tell if its the right temp or not then adds coals accordingly. His rub for his ribs is a recipe he learned from an old girlfriends family in Kingstree. The distinctive thing about his ribs to me is that you really really taste the smoke flavor more than a sauce or just plain pork taste.

Oh, also, he's been in the pork business for generations. The circle M is a nod to the Martin Sausage brand his family ran.

Awesome, I looked it up and it's actually an hour from our house. Might have to make it a Saturday trip after Bball season is over. I'll also have to ask about the "tour"

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #154
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
This is what I'm trying to say. Thank you
Haha, way to try to save face.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #155
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Circle M

Have to give a shout out to them. Good call Barry.

I've had all three of the major Anderson area BBQ's (can't name them right off) and they are all good. But Circle M is a level above.

Good smokey flavor and sauce is elective. IIRC

I think the upstate does brisket better too.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #156
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Tally from the first 145 posts. I included all shout-outs (some folks had more than one) and excluded negative comments.

It looks like Scott's in Stuckey and Brown's in Kingstree have strong followings.

Upstate
Barebones Greenwood 2
Midway Union 1
Buckey's Greenville 3
Dickey's all state 2
Henry's Greenville 2
Charlie's Greenville 1
Circle M Liberty 3
Smokin Pig Pendleton 3
Pig Out Boiling Springs 2
Mutt's Mauldin 1
Mike & Jeff's Greenville 2
Carolina BBQ Spartanburg 1
Big Daddy Hawgs Inman 1
Mac's Speed Shop Greenville 1

Midlands
Carolina BBQ New Ellenton 2
Little Pig's Columbia 5 (lots of up and downs - very polar)
Hite's West Columbia 1
Shealy's B/L 3
Palmetto Pig Columbia 4
Roger's Florence 2
Duke's Blackville 1
Jackie Hite's B/L 4
Hudson's Lexington 4
Doc's BBQ Columbia 4
Farm Boys Chapin 2
BBQ Barn North Augusta 1
Antley's Orangeburg 1
Duke's Orangeburg 2

Lowcountry
Brown's Kingstree 7
Schoolhouse Scranton 2 (may have gone downhill in past few years)
Scott's Stuckey/Hemingway 7
Kenny's Hemingway 2
Big D's Hemingway 3
Brunson's Hemingway 1
McCabe's Manning 2
Sweatman's Holly Hill 5 (strong opinions both ways; new mgmt)
Duke's Ridgeville 1
Duke's Walterboro 1
Smokey Oak James Island 1
Smokehouse Hilton Head 1

Outer Space
Yancey's Girlfriend Topdown 3
Darwin Alert Stupidville 31 (stupid posts by Miller or replies)

+1 Duke's New Ellenton
Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #157
walk.daddy
sings for money

Male

CockyCash: 533
walk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot material

You are all wrong, the best bbq in the state comes from Fatback's BBQ in Coward. Many people don't know but C.J. Haselden who use to own and operate Country Cousin's in Scranton is the cook. It has been closed now for probably 10 years now but I'm sure a lot of people have heard of/eaten at Country Cousins and knows that's the best BBQ around.
walk.daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #158
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

Damn all this time spent living in the Pee Dee and the midlands eating pulled pork barbecue and I didn't even realize I was eating that uppity, no-good, upstate bbq.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #159
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

Also, someone posted a link to a pretty neat video about the history of hash on this site a while back. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #160
Old Dominion Cock
Walk On

Male

Old Dominion Cock has hatched from the shell

KMCGarnet

Try the County Grill in Hampton. Much better than b&f....

Carolina BBQ in new ellenton and McCabes get my vote
Old Dominion Cock is offline   Reply With Quote