CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
b381l
Gamecockswag
Gamecocks1137
Regalcock
cocksmith1or11
ReadR00ster
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
Simple "yes&quo (711)
The Comeback & T (659)
ESPN Game Day Commen (654)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (451)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (451)
TeMarcus Blanton (387)
Phil Steele just pre (345)
Garcia: Change the R (196)
Wallpaper & Back (195)
Simple "yes" or
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Bama @ Tennessee
Name a Gamecock
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Phil Steele just predicte
Who start on the d line t
Why I think we beat Aubur
TeMarcus Blanton
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr

Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb
Default Postseason

I know the NCAAs are out the window, but there's still the NIT, CBI, and one other I think (help?). Does anyone think we can make one of them with a few more wins?
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material
Default Re: Postseason

There is the chance of making a postseason tournament but I look at something like that as an unexpected bonus if it happens.

When watching the team play, I look for indications that the team is improving as far as being more fluid in getting into their plays and also switching on defense.

I dislike when the team burns a lot of time only to throw up a desperation shot when the shot clock is about to expire. On the other side I hate seeing the opposition pass the ball around the horn two or three times and finding a guy totally wide open. These things happen to every team throughout a game but I would like to see us not do those things so frequently-it would be an indication that we are adopting Frank's system and moving forward.

That is all to say that this improvement can happen and still not lead to many more wins this season because we may not have the personnel to matchup well with other teams on the schedule right now.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
RudeCock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 250000
RudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot material

The NIT went away didn't it? Guess not, thought they went away.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
There is the chance of making a postseason tournament but I look at something like that as an unexpected bonus if it happens.

When watching the team play, I look for indications that the team is improving as far as being more fluid in getting into their plays and also switching on defense.

I dislike when the team burns a lot of time only to throw up a desperation shot when the shot clock is about to expire. On the other side I hate seeing the opposition pass the ball around the horn two or three times and finding a guy totally wide open. These things happen to every team throughout a game but I would like to see us not do those things so frequently-it would be an indication that we are adopting Frank's system and moving forward.

That is all to say that this improvement can happen and still not lead to many more wins this season because we may not have the personnel to matchup well with other teams on the schedule right now.
The SEC Tourney could be a lot of fun this year, Next Year.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

NIT is usually for Bubble teams.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
RudeCock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 250000
RudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot material

I'll take any post season play we can get this year, it's an improvement from last year and our young guys can use the extra practice. They just have to realize whether they win or lose it, that they are still no better than the 66th team in the nation and that won't cut it for long at The USC.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
jared
Starter

Male

jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

What other postseason tournaments are there besides NIT and CBI
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
What other postseason tournaments are there besides NIT and CBI
There's the CollegeInsider.com Postseason basketball tournament, but that is only for mid-major schools.

But those 3 are the only ones outside of the NCAA tourney.

#LukeForMod

Old 01-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

lets pull a UGA and just win the SEC tourney

then we'll be in the NCAAs
Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Like Kevin Garnett says, "Anything is Possible"

Quote:
So I'm watching the Lakers-Celtics game last night and after the game Michele Tafoya goes to interview Kevin Garnett.

Michele: Kevin, 11-time All-Star, League MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, now it's time to add to your resume--NBA champion. How does that sound?

Garnett: Man, I'm so hyped right now. Anything is possible. (Screams) Anything is possible!

For a second, I thought that is so great. How often, in the first interview after you win the championship, do you quote the slogan of your shoe sponsor (adidas pays Garnett for his endorsement)? And then I thought, wait, did he just say, "Anything is possible?" That's not adidas' slogan. Their slogan is "Impossible Is Nothing."

I will be watching.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCock View Post
lets pull a UGA and just win the SEC tourney

then we'll be in the NCAAs
I don't put it past us. If we keep improving at this rate, come March we could be a dangerous team given the lack of dominant teams in the SEC. Heck we almost did it in 06. We were very close to beating Florida and going to the NCAAs.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

I think we need 4 more wins to qualify for the NIT, I'm pretty sure you have to be at least .500
Old 01-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
jared
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
I think we need 4 more wins to qualify for the NIT, I'm pretty sure you have to be at least .500
That would put us at 16-15 right? And 6-12 in SEC?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
I'm afraid that won't be enough with the SEC being weak this year and our weak non-conference schedule. We probably need to get to 18 wins for the NIT this season, but it is certainly possible.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
I don't put it past us. If we keep improving at this rate, come March we could be a dangerous team given the lack of dominant teams in the SEC. Heck we almost did it in 06. We were very close to beating Florida and going to the NCAAs.
I still hate Joakim Noah

#LukeForMod

Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
jared
Starter

Male

16 or 17 would probably get us to the CBI
Old 01-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
Seladen
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Seladen is crowing loudlySeladen is crowing loudlySeladen is crowing loudlySeladen is crowing loudlySeladen is crowing loudlySeladen is crowing loudlySeladen is crowing loudlySeladen is crowing loudlySeladen is crowing loudlySeladen is crowing loudlySeladen is crowing loudly

Isn't it about time for the BBall team to go over to Europe for one of those off season trips? We went over in Horn's first yr and you can take 1 every 4 or 5 years.

When ever we go on one of those we win 20+ games the following season.
Seladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I'm afraid that won't be enough with the SEC being weak this year and our weak non-conference schedule. We probably need to get to 18 wins for the NIT this season, but it is certainly possible.
I agree, LSU got in with 18 last year.

Also remember the new NIT rules say that if you win your conferences regular season title and dont get an NCAA bid, you're an automatic Bid to the NCAA.
There will be around 10-11 pf those so you can subtract that from he 32 NIT bids

#LukeForMod

Old 01-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #19
jared
Starter

Male

I would be thrilled for a CBI invitation. Any postseason would be awesome for Frank's first year.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #20
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I think we can throw the CBI out though. No SEC team has ever gone to the CBI. I have no sources or verification of this, but I think there's some kind of unspoken agreement amongst all league members to decline bids to the CBI. Some of that might be based on the money of it though because it's been shown that most teams who go to the CBI wind up losing money on the deal.

Personally, I'd take whatever postseason bid this team could earn. The extra practice, games, and higher pressure situations that go along with a tournament can only help the team (especially the younger guys we are building around) for the future.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote